The Student Room Group

Cambridge Stalking Thread 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Hey how can I update my 'update me pls's?

:tongue:
Original post by enaayrah

You have to enter in all your info again.
Original post by Renzhi10122

Ah, okay :smile:
Reply 23
Original post by C0balt
Absolutely fantastic work. This kinda made me want to learn coding. I once started learning C, but I stopped for some reason lol

A suggestion would be an option to see one particular course's applicants but quite pointless atm because not many people have filled them in :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep that's what I've got planned for tomorrow :P

This is actually the coolest thing, thanks!

Thanks, and no problem :smile:
Reply 24

Original post by enaayrah

Don't bother doing it because I'll add a button asap that just loads all your previous data in so you don't have to type it all out again :smile:
Original post by Duskstar
Don't bother doing it because I'll add a button asap that just loads all your previous data in so you don't have to type it all out again :smile:

Ah, thanks.

Updated it though anyway

I have to say, it's a very cool stalking page!
Yep that's what I've got planned for tomorrow :P

Thanks, and no problem :smile:

Could I just say that ours is so much better than the Oxford one :tongue:
Reply 27
This is legendary. Mad props.

(On a side note - it occurred to me that I really need to learn to program if I'm going to do anything very useful with maths. My current skills consist of some really rusty Python with which I can hardly parse an if statement, and not much else. Does anyone have any good ideas on how best to progress? I've found a few free courses online for better Python, but ought I try a different language?)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Krollo

(On a side note - it occurred to me that I really need to learn to program if I'm going to do anything very useful with maths. My current skills consist of some really rusty Python with which I can hardly parse an if statement, and not much else. Does anyone have any good ideas on how best to progress? I've found a few free courses online for better Python, but ought I try a different language?)

If you're just learning for fun, then carrying on with Python should be just fine, it's a nice high level language for what it is.
Try www.codecademy.com 's python track and if you want something else drop me a PM, I've got a load of resources I've used
Could also just look at the other language options codecademy has or something completely different, it's up to you!

Original post by C0balt
Absolutely fantastic work. This kinda made me want to learn coding. I once started learning C, but I stopped for some reason lolA suggestion would be an option to see one particular course's applicants but quite pointless atm because not many people have filled them in :tongue:
Learn Python!
Reply 29
Could I just say that ours is so much better than the Oxford one :tongue:

I checked the Oxford one to see what it was supposed to be like, and then I realised Cambridge shouldn't have to have a spreadsheet :P

Original post by Krollo

Posted from TSR Mobile

JavaScript. It's basically the only language I know, but it's very useful because when you make something with it it works on any platform with a web browser :P codecademy.com or something along the lines of 'code academy' is the place to start for learning the syntax and stuff, and then you can just develop websites and stuff like that. Also, there's no compiling so bug fixing tends to be a matter of changing stuff and refreshing the page until it works.

Python is a brilliant language to learn anyway from what I've heard, and it's probably more effective to have a compiled program for computationally intensive problems (I see lots of Euler project solutions in Python, although I have yet to get involved myself...) and I see it widely recommended as a good beginner language, but I'm a massive JS advocate, and if you're looking for a new language to pick up I'd recommend a look.

Other languages that are good include Java or any C but I don't know how easy they are to pick up.
snipped

Glad you mentioned PE because I didn't know if I was gonna mention it.
Python's great for PE, it's what I use for it. Although they say any language on a standard computer should give an answer <1minute

Just pick a language and stick with it while learning the basics tbh

Computationally intensive problems can be improved not by swapping language, but by elegance of the code (if that makes sense, it's not the language that matters but what's being written)
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 31
Original post by Number Nine
If you're just learning for fun, then carrying on with Python should be just fine, it's a nice high level language for what it is.
Try www.codecademy.com 's python track and if you want something else drop me a PM, I've got a load of resources I've used
Could also just look at the other language options codecademy has or something completely different, it's up to you!

Learn Python!

Note taken :awesome:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 32
I checked the Oxford one to see what it was supposed to be like, and then I realised Cambridge shouldn't have to have a spreadsheet :P

JavaScript. It's basically the only language I know, but it's very useful because when you make something with it it works on any platform with a web browser :P codecademy.com or something along the lines of 'code academy' is the place to start for learning the syntax and stuff, and then you can just develop websites and stuff like that. Also, there's no compiling so bug fixing tends to be a matter of changing stuff and refreshing the page until it works.

Python is a brilliant language to learn anyway from what I've heard, and it's probably more effective to have a compiled program for computationally intensive problems (I see lots of Euler project solutions in Python, although I have yet to get involved myself...) and I see it widely recommended as a good beginner language, but I'm a massive JS advocate, and if you're looking for a new language to pick up I'd recommend a look.

Other languages that are good include Java or any C but I don't know how easy they are to pick up.

If this is just JS how are you doing the DB storage? I presume you have some sort of PHP thing on the backend?
Reply 33
Original post by ThatPerson2
If this is just JS how are you doing the DB storage? I presume you have some sort of PHP thing on the backend?

Yeah I made some PHP web services to handle the DB interaction. I like to say I don't know PHP though - I just learn it whenever I need to use it lol.

JS is the only language I can write programs in without having to look up how to do the next thing all the time (once you know how to program, coding becomes a matter of copy and pasting lol), and I haven't explored any object oriented languages yet >.>
Yeah I made some PHP web services to handle the DB interaction. I like to say I don't know PHP though - I just learn it whenever I need to use it lol.

JS is the only language I can write programs in without having to look up how to do the next thing all the time (once you know how to program, coding becomes a matter of copy and pasting lol), and I haven't explored any object oriented languages yet >.>

OOP is bae

(Not really, I barely use it because I'm still learning)
Reply 35
OOP is bae

(Not really, I barely use it because I'm still learning)

Haha I'm just too used to functional and basically married to JS... and since web is the future why would I change?

Plus I may as well leave learning OOP to when I have someone to teach it to me properly :yep: like the tutors at Cambridge, no?

http://xkcd.com/353/

Haha I'm just too used to functional and basically married to JS... and since web is the future why would I change?

Plus I may as well leave learning OOP to when I have someone to teach it to me properly :yep: like the tutors at Cambridge, no?

Why learn things properly when it's all in books anyway? Python can do webstuff mate (and so can Ruby). Instagram uses Django according to Wikipedia, and Dropbox uses Python and they're both webbased
Reply 37
Why learn things properly when it's all in books anyway? Python can do webstuff mate (and so can Ruby). Instagram uses Django according to Wikipedia, and Dropbox uses Python and they're both webbased

B-but JavaScript is beautiful :P

I want to learn something before I go for interview lol, and it probably will be Python - the good thing is I can just write about what I've done on my website and link it in my PS and then update whenever I want XD

Also tiny new update out - I'll hopefully add more sorting options etc tomorrow.
Reply 38

Now that is attractive :sexface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
B-but JavaScript is beautiful :P

I want to learn something before I go for interview lol, and it probably will be Python - the good thing is I can just write about what I've done on my website and link it in my PS and then update whenever I want XD

Also tiny new update out - I'll hopefully add more sorting options etc tomorrow.

Until they ask you about OOP in your interview and you don't know what it is

Original post by C0balt
Now that is attractive :sexface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Typing "import antigravity" into python interpreter actually opens that up as well

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending