The Student Room Group

Best short course to do on a gap year

I've just finished A levels and I'm currently planning to take a gap year to take a course on computer science. I'll then continue with Physics at undergrad in 2016.
I'm currently self studying Python and I'm about 75% through a beginners book. Any advice on the best short course I can do in London?
Reply 1
Definatly look into Codezoners at Ravensbourne, its a 9 month course and you get paid to take part! Great way to learn code
Reply 2
Thanks for the suggestion. I've looked into it and it seems that there's an emphasis on work placements. I'm not too keen on that at the moment since it will be a busy gap year. I'll be taking further maths A2 modules with some additional modules. I'm also occupied with a business.
Reply 3
Yeah I was on Codezoners last year and there was an emphasis on the work placement - I think this is a good thing as by the time you get to university you will have saved some money (hopefully) and you would have 9 months worth of experience under your belt but if a 5 day a week course doesn't suit your needs then fair enough

Other courses in London include Makers Academy, Iron Yard, General Assembly and Decoded. Not sure which ones best but some of them charge a hell of a lot of money. If money is no problem then go for it however you could try some online free courses from a website like Codecademy (highly recommend this option)
Reply 4
Original post by Haris
Yeah I was on Codezoners last year and there was an emphasis on the work placement - I think this is a good thing as by the time you get to university you will have saved some money (hopefully) and you would have 9 months worth of experience under your belt but if a 5 day a week course doesn't suit your needs then fair enough

Other courses in London include Makers Academy, Iron Yard, General Assembly and Decoded. Not sure which ones best but some of them charge a hell of a lot of money. If money is no problem then go for it however you could try some online free courses from a website like Codecademy (highly recommend this option)

Yeah I have nothing against work placements, but since I have my own business to run and grow, I'm not in need of more paid work. Not that I'm making millions, but I want to focus the year on academic development primarily.

I was looking at this short course. http://www.bbk.ac.uk/study/2015/short-courses/modules/BUCI/BUCI006H4/
Might give them a call for clarification on what the pre requisites are, but it looks good.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending