The Student Room Group
Bangor University
Bangor University
Visit website

Spent four years studying at Bangor.....ask me anything! :)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Irene Pes
Hi,
I'm an Erasmus student from Italy. I'm going to study at Bangor University (English Literature) in the Spring Semester 2016.
I'm looking for a room. Is it better to stay in the University's Halls or to search a private accomodation? Which one is cheaper, safer, exc?
Thank you

Hi I'm a second year at Bangor with a spare room in the house I'm at.
It's £325 a month plus bills, quieter and cleaner than halls.Sharing with two female midwifery students Pm me if your interested xo
Bangor University
Bangor University
Visit website
What are my chances of achieving an entrance scholarship in 2016 if I come from London and sit the exam in German? :tongue: Thanks.
Hi, my name is kettyna and im from the Seychelles island. I got accepted to do my Bsc in marine biology and zoology. I have a 5 year old daughter and my partner have applied bangor university aswel . Can you advise me if there is any primary schools near by the university? secondly, how expensive private accommodation can be? Thanks :smile:
Reply 23
Original post by Seychelles25
Hi, my name is kettyna and im from the Seychelles island. I got accepted to do my Bsc in marine biology and zoology. I have a 5 year old daughter and my partner have applied bangor university aswel . Can you advise me if there is any primary schools near by the university? secondly, how expensive private accommodation can be? Thanks :smile:

Not helpful but ive applied for marine bio too!
Original post by Seychelles25

Hi Kettyna,

Great news that you have been accepted to study here at Bangor University, there are plenty of Primary schools located in Bangor itself. With regards to accommodation, please follow the link below to our student services page, there is a student guide to private accommodation that you can take a look at for advise :smile:
https://www.bangor.ac.uk/studentservices/studenthousing/index.php.en

If you have any other question, please don't hesitate to ask :smile:

All the best
Sera (Bangor University Official student rep)
Original post by zoehodkinson13
Is Bangor a boring city? I've just got accepted for History and English Literature and I've never visited. Also, are cheaper halls the best? What is there to do around the area? and is the music scene good? :smile:)

It really does depend on the type of person you are, if you're willing to go out and explore/enjoy walks and stuff like that then it's absolutely not a boring place. Over on anglesey which is like 10 minutes from the ffriddoedd accommodation there are some amazing beaches and forests like Newborough and there's a lot of castles nearby; Penrhyn Castle, Caenarfon Castle, Beaumaris Castle and if you like flowers and plants and stuff like that theres Treborth Garden Centre 5 mins away from the accommodation or a short drive there's Bodnant Garden Centre which I love. You've also of course got Snowdon which is a fantastic walk!! If someone has a car too there's goape, treetop adventures, bounce below, go karting, Surf Snowdonia and one of the longest zipwires in the world in Snowdonia! Or a cinema in Pontio which is in Bangor or 30 mins in a car to llandudno junction. There's probs stuff I'm forgetting too! If none of this interests you then yeah, there's not much to do for you haha! Bangor itself can be boring but only if you let it be,

I'm a first year studying Biology btw
Original post by Bangor Uni
Hi Kettyna,

Great news that you have been accepted to study here at Bangor University, there are plenty of Primary schools located in Bangor itself. With regards to accommodation, please follow the link below to our student services page, there is a student guide to private accommodation that you can take a look at for advise :smile:
https://www.bangor.ac.uk/studentservices/studenthousing/index.php.en

If you have any other question, please don't hesitate to ask :smile:

All the best
Sera (Bangor University Official student rep)

Hi Sera,

Thank you very much :smile:
Original post by bethdann
Hi everyone,

Between 2010-2014 I studied both BA Geography and MBA Environmental Management respectively at Bangor University. I had the best time of my life and I bloody miss it every day!

If you have any questions about the University itself or even Bangor as a place then please do not hesitate to ask away! :smile:

Beth

Hi!

I'm a student from India and am interested in joining the zoology under grad course offered by Bangor Uni. I was hoping to know what opportunities are there after finishing this course? And I can in touch with people who graduated from this course from Bangor.

Thanks!!
Hi everyone!

I'm really hoping to study Marine Biology with Oceanography at Bangor starting in 2017 :smile: I'm doing A levels at the moment but will be taking a gap year. The course sounds amazing and I've been to visit Bangor twice on different open days - I absolutely loved it! Is there anyone doing this course? If so, can you please tell me a bit more about it?

Thank you,
Jess
Original post by JessJVFox
Hi everyone!

I'm really hoping to study Marine Biology with Oceanography at Bangor starting in 2017 :smile: I'm doing A levels at the moment but will be taking a gap year. The course sounds amazing and I've been to visit Bangor twice on different open days - I absolutely loved it! Is there anyone doing this course? If so, can you please tell me a bit more about it?

Thank you,
Jess

Hey! I don't do MB/O, but I'm on a similar course and one of my best friends does it :smile:
The first semester you start off with the marine bio people pretty much exclusively, then the second semester you move away from their lessons (apart from two modules) and into geology based ones with the physical related ocean degrees :smile:
The organismal diversity module is rather heavy, you get a lot of lectures and week, then the next semester it's toned down a bit :smile:
Youll also do research skills with everyone in natural sciences, but in semester 2 you'll be separated off with physical geography, ocean science, geological and physical oceanography into a specific cohort. Here you'll have to do some field work and write a scientific report worth 30% of your module... I'm not gonna lie to you, this was horrific and pretty much everyone struggled as there was a lot to write and they don't give much guidance. But the rest of the work that I did similarily is fine :smile:
The only thing I can suggest is that if you're not confident with maths, I'd just go over that before starting because the introducing the oceans practicals are mostly based on maths, as well as a few of the research skills tasks :smile:
And the marine bio people do a lot of stats work too on their side of things

Other than that, it's a great course if you really enjoy the subject :biggrin: all your first year exams bar marine bio practical and some organismal diversity ones are multiple choice so you can't go too wrong :smile:

If you've got any more questions feel free to ask :smile:
Reply 30
How did you find the BA Geography course ? Is there a lot of science in it as I have not done any science A levels-thanks
Hi... I'm thinking about applying to Bangor University this year, as the location and scenery looks absolutely stunning! But I've been warned that Bangor has a very tight-knit Welsh community. As in, if you're not Welsh (I'm English) then you don't get accepted, don't feel like you belong, etc... Is this true?

And are the History and Geography departments good? Any information about what either of them are like would be appreciated. Thanks. :smile:
Original post by DaisyDragon
Hi... I'm thinking about applying to Bangor University this year, as the location and scenery looks absolutely stunning! But I've been warned that Bangor has a very tight-knit Welsh community. As in, if you're not Welsh (I'm English) then you don't get accepted, don't feel like you belong, etc... Is this true?

And are the History and Geography departments good? Any information about what either of them are like would be appreciated. Thanks. :smile:

Hi DaisyDragon,

This is not true.

The majority of our students here are from England. I studied here at Bangor and I am from Wales and studied through the medium of Welsh, but my friends where from, Warwick, Belfast, Wigan, America, London, Manchester....hope this helps.

If I can help with anything else then give me a shout on here

:smile:

Sera (Bangor Official Rep)

Hi Daisy

As Sera mentioned above, it's definitely not an issue. This is my third year in Bangor and I've never experienced any issue, aside from finding a job. Not speaking Welsh to good level is definitely a barrier in finding a job here, but there are places (like SportsDirect) that don't mind if you can't. There's also some tension on particular Wales vs England sports events, and some locals getting unreasonably annoyed at students, but those events are few and far between.

In short, don't let this hold you back, come study at Bangor, you'll love it! :biggrin:
Original post by Bangor Uni
Hi DaisyDragon,

This is not true.

The majority of our students here are from England. I studied here at Bangor and I am from Wales and studied through the medium of Welsh, but my friends where from, Warwick, Belfast, Wigan, America, London, Manchester....hope this helps.

If I can help with anything else then give me a shout on here

:smile:

Sera (Bangor Official Rep)

Hi Sera,

Thanks for answering that!! I'm really looking forward to visiting Bangor on an Open Day this summer to get a proper feel for it myself...

DaisyDragon
Original post by VinnicombeDmv
Hi Daisy

As Sera mentioned above, it's definitely not an issue. This is my third year in Bangor and I've never experienced any issue, aside from finding a job. Not speaking Welsh to good level is definitely a barrier in finding a job here, but there are places (like SportsDirect) that don't mind if you can't. There's also some tension on particular Wales vs England sports events, and some locals getting unreasonably annoyed at students, but those events are few and far between.

In short, don't let this hold you back, come study at Bangor, you'll love it! :biggrin:

Hi VinnicombeDmv,

Thanks for that honest answer. I can understand a little Welsh currently and I''ll definitely try and learn 'northern' Welsh if I come to Bangor.

What do you study at Bangor? What's the best (and worst) thing about being a Bangor student?

DaisyDragon :smile:
Hi VinnicombeDmv,

Thanks for that honest answer. I can understand a little Welsh currently and I''ll definitely try and learn 'northern' Welsh if I come to Bangor.

What do you study at Bangor? What's the best (and worst) thing about being a Bangor student?

DaisyDragon :smile:

I'm always happy to help :smile: Learning some Northern Welsh could definitely come in handy, even if it's just to say thank you in a store on the high street. You'll pick up a few words over the years anyway, mainly from signs that are in Welsh & English.

I'm studying Accounting and Finance and I'm really pleased with my modules. Best part of studying at Bangor? I would say the societies and sports clubs! You might have heard this a thousand times already, but we do have hundreds of societies and clubs to join, all entirely free to join (although some do have fees once you're in, like buying/renting a gun for paintball for example, but there's no membership fees for any society/club if you're a student). There's a lot of diversity too, from the weird and wonderful Sci-Fi society where they watch Sci-Fi films on Monday nights, Tabletop that meet us twice a week to play board games for hours, Assassins that play games of mock assassination across the city (I'm biased here, I'm on the committee :P) to your usual academic societies like ZooSoc, LangSoc, HerpSoc, etc. We all love doing collab events and going on weird socials with our members :smile:

As for the worst part? It's not something I think about often, but I think I'd say the way money is spent. A few years ago there was a bit of a scandal when a University official spent Uni money for himself, there's the whole Pontio delay (which became a running joke up until it opened) from the builders not wanting to take the time to do it properly, sports clubs getting far too much money than societies (sports do need a lot more, paying for kit, transports, fixture fees and whatnot, but they get far too much and already have thousands in their fundraising accounts for some of them) (society and club committees have to accept the budget for themselves at the beginning of each year, not one society was happy this year), a few courses getting barely any contact hours throughout the year and generally across the city too. Bangor isn't exactly a rich city, but I do think it should divert some funds from holiday events to increasing the budget for improving the city. There's a good bunch of abandoned buildings (still in good enough condition to use) and arguably we could use a few more bins spread around.

After just typing that, I just thought about the landlords here. I'm sure landlords/ladies are bad pretty much anywhere you go for students, but there's definitely ones here to make your blood boil. Student accommodation is amazing, but private housing gets on your nerves quickly.
Does this woman, who is all over the prospectus, really study at Bangor?

bangor.jpg
Original post by cambio wechsel

bangor.jpg

I've never seen her, I've only ever seen 1 person fom the prospectus in person. However I do see an e-mail every year asking for students to submit themselves for photos for the prospectus, so I'm sure she attended for a period.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by cambio wechsel

bangor.jpg

Hi cambio wechsel,

All pictures you see in our prospectus and online are students here at Bangor University.

Thanks

Sera (Bangor Official Student Rep)

Quick Reply

Latest