The Student Room Group

Nutrition and Dietetics applicants 2016

I haven't seen any threads for this so I thought it was time to make one.

Who here wants to study nutrition and dietetics?
What universities are you considering?
What grades have you got?
And the all important question: any work experience?

:smile::smile:

Scroll to see replies

Just wondering; can we apply to only 4 nutrition/dietetics courses on UCAS, or can we apply to 5?
Hi, Im applying to do Dietetics and Nutrition! :smile: Im thinking, Nottingham, herts and surrey so far.. I did the IB and have 32 overall.. Just gap yearing atm. Ive done a year working on a hospital ward so worked alongside dieticians. Im kind of worried about the job opportunities as a dietician tho, anyone know much about this??

Original post by Serotonin88
Just wondering; can we apply to only 4 nutrition/dietetics courses on UCAS, or can we apply to 5?

Hi! You can apply to five courses on UCAS when it's nutrition/dietetics. I'm applying to King's, Surrey, and Nottingham for nutrition and dietetics and then Leeds and Reading for just nutrition

Original post by SunRiseAtDawn
Hi, Im applying to do Dietetics and Nutrition! :smile: Im thinking, Nottingham, herts and surrey so far.. I did the IB and have 32 overall.. Just gap yearing atm. Ive done a year working on a hospital ward so worked alongside dieticians. Im kind of worried about the job opportunities as a dietician tho, anyone know much about this??

From what I've heard, when you do a dietetics course the job opportunities are pretty good and they majority of people are employed by the NHS to begin with. There is also the opportunity to work as a nutritionists for companies such as Nestle. When I went to a Surrey open day, they said 90-95% of people who had done nutrition and dietetics were employed by the NHS after graduation and there were also others who had been employed in other companies so it sounds as though the employment is pretty good
Original post by Heynothing24
Hi! You can apply to five courses on UCAS when it's nutrition/dietetics. I'm applying to King's, Surrey, and Nottingham for nutrition and dietetics and then Leeds and Reading for just nutrition

From what I've heard, when you do a dietetics course the job opportunities are pretty good and they majority of people are employed by the NHS to begin with. There is also the opportunity to work as a nutritionists for companies such as Nestle. When I went to a Surrey open day, they said 90-95% of people who had done nutrition and dietetics were employed by the NHS after graduation and there were also others who had been employed in other companies so it sounds as though the employment is pretty good

Awesome, thanks!

Also, if you don't mind me asking, for Leeds and Reading why did you choose to apply for just nutrition, and not dietetics? I think at the moment I prefer dietetics, just because of the job opportunities in the NHS.
Also, if you don't mind me asking, for Leeds and Reading why did you choose to apply for just nutrition, and not dietetics? I think at the moment I prefer dietetics, just because of the job opportunities in the NHS.

To begin with, neither of those universities offer dietetics and just offer nutrition. I decided to apply to some universities for just nutrition in case I don't get an offer from the universities for dietetics and also at the moment I'm still undecided if I want to do nutrition/dietetics or just nutrition so it gives me a better choice :smile:
To begin with, neither of those universities offer dietetics and just offer nutrition. I decided to apply to some universities for just nutrition in case I don't get an offer from the universities for dietetics and also at the moment I'm still undecided if I want to do nutrition/dietetics or just nutrition so it gives me a better choice :smile:

I understand, sounds like a good idea to cover all your bases in that case :smile: Thanks again, hope everything goes well for you!
I understand, sounds like a good idea to cover all your bases in that case :smile: Thanks again, hope everything goes well for you!

I just wanted to ask: are you doing a-levels? and if so what are your predicted grades?
I just wanted to ask: are you doing a-levels? and if so what are your predicted grades?

I've finished my A levels and I am currently taking a gap year. My results are AAB, but I'm retaking the B subject (since I have a bit of time :smile:) and hoping to improve on that. I'm assuming you're doing A levels also?
I've finished my A levels and I am currently taking a gap year. My results are AAB, but I'm retaking the B subject (since I have a bit of time :smile:) and hoping to improve on that. I'm assuming you're doing A levels also?

Yeah I am. I do French, chemistry, biology and economics and my predicted grades are A*AAB in that order of subjects. I might drop economics and tbh I think the best I could do would be AAA overall. What was the B in for you? Well done on your results btw, they're really good!
Yeah I am. I do French, chemistry, biology and economics and my predicted grades are A*AAB in that order of subjects. I might drop economics and tbh I think the best I could do would be AAA overall. What was the B in for you? Well done on your results btw, they're really good!

Fantastic predicted grades! The B was in chemistry; I struggled with it a lot, the stress got to me and I ended up with poor individual exam results. Thank you, I'm more or less pleased with my results, but I always think there's room for improvement. I suppose if you aren't as interested in economics as you are in the other subjects, you could drop it. You could always keep them all if you're up for it!
idk about keeping them all because it would feel like kind of a waste. And chemistry is so hard especially at A2.

I just wanted to ask: what unis are you applying to? and have you written your personal statement?
Hi! I'm wanting to study Dietetics- applying to Kings, London Met, Surrey, Herts and Coventry!
Bit worried about getting a place, currently doing an Access to HE course and they pretty much want distinctions in all modules! Scary!
Reply 14
Hey! I'm applying for Dietetics from Ireland and ive heard UK unis are a little harsher with grade requirements for other EU students. Is this true?? Would I have more of a chance to get in AFTER doing my exams and having solid results rather than going by predictions?

Also, wheres everyone applying? Has anyone sent off their application already or gotten a reply? :biggrin:
Original post by mb0310
Hey! I'm applying for Dietetics from Ireland and ive heard UK unis are a little harsher with grade requirements for other EU students. Is this true?? Would I have more of a chance to get in AFTER doing my exams and having solid results rather than going by predictions?

Also, wheres everyone applying? Has anyone sent off their application already or gotten a reply? :biggrin:

I haven't heard about them being any harsher but I guess I wouldn't know because I'm a UK student. Predictions are still enough, if you are predicted what the entry requirements are then it's fine. The only thing that's better when you apply after your exams is that you know your results and the university can give you an unconditional offer. Other than that don't worry about predicted grades

I'm applying to King's, Surrey, Nottingham (Leeds and Reading for just nutrition) and I plan to send my application off tomorrow!
You?
Original post by Kirsty1001
Hi! I'm wanting to study Dietetics- applying to Kings, London Met, Surrey, Herts and Coventry!
Bit worried about getting a place, currently doing an Access to HE course and they pretty much want distinctions in all modules! Scary!

I'm sure you'll do great! What's your first choice uni?
After going to few open days- think I want to stay in London! So top choice probably Kings, then London Met! London met has slightly lower requirements too, so it'll probably be met! How about you?
Hey! I'm applying to Nutrition and Dietetics for 2016 at Notts, Surrey, Kings, Cardiff Met and London Met
I'm predicted A*A*A, but I think I'll only get A*AA in psychology, biology and chemistry respectively, but you already knew all of that😛

Anyone else really worried about the interviews?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by KatieAlicexxx
Hey! I'm applying to Nutrition and Dietetics for 2016 at Notts, Surrey, Kings, Cardiff Met and London Met
I'm predicted A*A*A, but I think I'll only get A*AA in psychology, biology and chemistry respectively, but you already knew all of that😛

Anyone else really worried about the interviews?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah! Not looking forward to that part...
Where's your first choice?

Quick Reply

Latest