The Student Room Group

Nutrition and Dietetics applicants 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Serotonin88
That's what I was wondering, too.

Also, on the Nutrition and Dietetics 2015 thread, people mentioned some sort of questionnaire that has to be done at Nottingham. Does anyone know anything about this? I can't find anything on any questionnaire on the university website.

And does anyone know about the literacy and numeracy tests at Surrey that last year's applicants had to do?

I think they send you the questionnaire after you've been offered an interview, not sure though. I think Notts waits a while to make offers so I doubt anyone will get one for a while

The literacy and numeracy tests are just basic GCSE I think. I wouldn't worry too much about them!

Where abouts have you applied?

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's what I was wondering, too.

Also, on the Nutrition and Dietetics 2015 thread, people mentioned some sort of questionnaire that has to be done at Nottingham. Does anyone know anything about this? I can't find anything on any questionnaire on the university website.

And does anyone know about the literacy and numeracy tests at Surrey that last year's applicants had to do?

I don't think it's just Surrey that does it; I'm pretty sure it's all of them because they need to check the literacy and numeracy skills of those doing an NHS course. When I was talking to someone from King's on the open day they said they had to do tests as well. If it is anything like the ones you have to do for midwifery (I was looking at them a while ago with a friend because that's what she is applying for) then it is pretty simple maths; like percentages, division, and fractions; and the english is pretty much just comprehension
Original post by Heynothing24
I don't think it's just Surrey that does it; I'm pretty sure it's all of them because they need to check the literacy and numeracy skills of those doing an NHS course. When I was talking to someone from King's on the open day they said they had to do tests as well. If it is anything like the ones you have to do for midwifery (I was looking at them a while ago with a friend because that's what she is applying for) then it is pretty simple maths; like percentages, division, and fractions; and the english is pretty much just comprehension

Great, thank you! I just have to brush up on my maths then, and everything should be fine :smile:
If anyone can HELP, that would be great! -

Do any of you know anything about the NHS funding for dietetics courses? Do we just do nothing and it's all done and paid for? I can't seem to find much information on the funding...
If anyone can HELP, that would be great! -

Do any of you know anything about the NHS funding for dietetics courses? Do we just do nothing and it's all done and paid for? I can't seem to find much information on the funding...

Sorry to butt in - I don't do your course but I do study a NHS funded degree. Once you have an offer/have picked your uni you apply for the NHS Bursary (just google it) - they will ask for appropriate evidence (passport parents earnings etc etc) - this takes care of the fees and if you are eligible provides some money to you (in my case we all get £1K bursary then anything additional is means tested). I also qualify for a reduced loan from Student Finance and that's easy to apply for as you don't need to give them all the usual evidence (passports etc) that you usually have to give - this loan isn't means tested.

Don't know if I helped :smile:
Original post by AmyPilot
Sorry to butt in - I don't do your course but I do study a NHS funded degree. Once you have an offer/have picked your uni you apply for the NHS Bursary (just google it) - they will ask for appropriate evidence (passport parents earnings etc etc) - this takes care of the fees and if you are eligible provides some money to you (in my case we all get £1K bursary then anything additional is means tested). I also qualify for a reduced loan from Student Finance and that's easy to apply for as you don't need to give them all the usual evidence (passports etc) that you usually have to give - this loan isn't means tested.

Don't know if I helped :smile:

Thank you!! It makes a bit more sense now, thanks again :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Thank you!! It makes a bit more sense now, thanks again :smile:

You're welcome - might be worth checking the NHS bursary website - it has a calculator so you can work out how much you will be entitled to. The reduced loan from SFE is about £2300. In truth I would have gotten more money doing a "normal" degree but at least we have less debt!

Good luck
Reply 47
Original post by Heynothing24
I haven't heard about them being any harsher but I guess I wouldn't know because I'm a UK student. Predictions are still enough, if you are predicted what the entry requirements are then it's fine. The only thing that's better when you apply after your exams is that you know your results and the university can give you an unconditional offer. Other than that don't worry about predicted grades

I'm applying to King's, Surrey, Nottingham (Leeds and Reading for just nutrition) and I plan to send my application off tomorrow!
You?

Hey! Sorry for the late reply been so busy with various applications and exams. :smile: I've applied to Leeds Met, Herts, Nottingham, Surrey and Glasgow. I got rejected from Leeds within a week although my predictions were higher than minimum requirements and I applied in early october? Maybe they really hated me? :frown:

But I just got called to an interview on the 12th in Herts! Anyone else?!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 48
Original post by chlo0210
Hi everyone! Its so nice to find people who are applying for Nutrition and Dietetics! It's so nerve racking isn't it?

It's terrifying!
Original post by mb0310
Hey! Sorry for the late reply been so busy with various applications and exams. :smile: I've applied to Leeds Met, Herts, Nottingham, Surrey and Glasgow. I got rejected from Leeds within a week although my predictions were higher than minimum requirements and I applied in early october? Maybe they really hated me? :frown:

12th November? Man I need to get my application sent pronto!!
Reply 50
Original post by Kirsty1001
12th November? Man I need to get my application sent pronto!!

Yeah I was really surprised too! Just found out today! Two weeks notice is a bit short though as Ill have to fly in from Ireland :/
Original post by mb0310
Yeah I was really surprised too! Just found out today! Two weeks notice is a bit short though as Ill have to fly in from Ireland :/

Oh no! Yeh that's crazy! You'll have to let us all know how you get on! I went to the open day there- the course sounds great! Good luck!!
Original post by mb0310

Oh wow are people getting offers already?!😮😮

Quick question for you guys- does anyone know if you can get unconditionals for N&D? I know you can't for Leeds Beckett but I'm not sure about other universities

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 53
Original post by KatieAlicexxx
Oh wow are people getting offers already?!😮😮

Quick question for you guys- does anyone know if you can get unconditionals for N&D? I know you can't for Leeds Beckett but I'm not sure about other universities

Posted from TSR Mobile

No no not an offer just an interview call far from that stage yet xD but as far as I know NHS funded courses usually dont give unconditionals :/ I could be wrong
Original post by mb0310
No no not an offer just an interview call far from that stage yet xD but as far as I know NHS funded courses usually dont give unconditionals :/ I could be wrong

Yeah that's what I meant😛 I've not heard anything from my unis and I sent mine off about a week and a half ago haha

Yeah I didnt think they did. Annoying because I would have loved one but hey ho

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mb0310

I'm really surprised they rejected you outright without giving you an interview even though your predictions were higher than what they wanted! I didn't know they could do that

Good luck with the interview!
Reply 56
I'm applying for Nottingham, Coventry, Chester, London Met and Robert Gordon.

Has anyone been able to get shadowing experience? I'm a mature student but have not had any experience in a hospital environment.
Original post by Harvlol
I'm applying for Nottingham, Coventry, Chester, London Met and Robert Gordon.

Has anyone been able to get shadowing experience? I'm a mature student but have not had any experience in a hospital environment.

I've not been able to get any direct dietitian shadowing experience but I went to a dieteti a open day here I was shown what it was like and chatted to dietitians and I've had previous hospital work experience

From what I've heard of previous years it doesn't matter too much, they just make it one of your conditions when they give you an offer

Posted from TSR Mobile
Got an interview for surrey on the 25/11! anyone else?
Reply 59
Original post by KatieAlicexxx
Got an interview for surrey on the 25/11! anyone else?

Me too!

Quick Reply

Latest