The Student Room Group

Lower than expected As level results

For my As level results I got BBBB in Psychology, English Literature, Music and Business studies. Is it still possible for me to get into uni courses with entry requirements of AAA like Kings College University? Thanks :smile:
Reply 1
What UMS score did you get overall for each subject? It depends on that, if they're high B's then it is possible but you got to work your butt off for it!
It's definitely possible :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by xabsx
What UMS score did you get overall for each subject? It depends on that, if they're high B's then it is possible but you got to work your butt off for it!

148 UMS Business (AQA)
152 UMS Psychology (AQA a)
148 UMS Eng Lit (AQA lit b)
223 UMS Music (Edexcel)

I'm not sure if they're high or low? In the 2 units for business i got a C and an A, for the 2 Psych units i got B and an A, in the english exam i got a C (however this should go up in the remark) and an A in the coursework, and for music i got an A, B and C in the 3 units.

Sorry I'm just confused as to whether that means my UMS is high/low, thanks for your help :smile:
I know what you mean.
I got AAAA mock grades and got an A grade in every past paper, however i received BBCC in my actual results, and not a single A grade in any module.
My chances of warwick have been dashed and i feel like i've been lied to all year:frown:
Reply 5
On the good side, universities will consider your predicted grades which can be one grade higher meaning they might be AAA.

Business: you'll need minimum of 172 UMS next year (to get a total of 320 UMS next year when combine AS and A2 scores)
Psychology: minimum of 168 UMS next year
English Lit: minimum of 148 UMS next year
Music: minimum of 257 UMS next year

UMS grade boundaries can be found on the website
Original post by hollybradfield
I know what you mean.
I got AAAA mock grades and got an A grade in every past paper, however i received BBCC in my actual results, and not a single A grade in any module.
My chances of warwick have been dashed and i feel like i've been lied to all year:frown:

What exams have you taken this year? Many are arguing that they are the hardest they have been all year. Also it may just have been you couldn't cope under the pressure of exams which is also my problem
Predicted grades are more important to be honest have a good talk with your teachers about them, I got ABBB In AS and got an offer from King's with a AAA grade requirement when my predicted was AAB and I got A*AA in the end.

Im pretty sure with a good personal statement you will get an offer, If you do head to King's let me know :smile:
Original post by GodalmingStudier
What exams have you taken this year? Many are arguing that they are the hardest they have been all year. Also it may just have been you couldn't cope under the pressure of exams which is also my problem

I took govpol, history, english language and sociology
Reply 9
Original post by Mathlover123
Predicted grades are more important to be honest have a good talk with your teachers about them, I got ABBB In AS and got an offer from King's with a AAA grade requirement when my predicted was AAB and I got A*AA in the end.

Im pretty sure with a good personal statement you will get an offer, If you do head to King's let me know :smile:

Hey, are you doing a maths degree?? I'm only asking as I'm looking for recommendations from students at different universities. I think Warwick is going to be my first choice tho :biggrin:
Original post by hollybradfield
I took govpol, history, english language and sociology

Many of the history and govpol are said to be unfairly hard and marked, I'm not sure about the other ones as i didnt take them
Original post by JPencil
Hey, are you doing a maths degree?? I'm only asking as I'm looking for recommendations from students at different universities. I think Warwick is going to be my first choice tho :biggrin:

Yeah I am doing an Msci at King's. Got an offer and turned it down from Warwick in the end as they wanted me to get A*AA as you can imagine in my position that seemed slightly ambitious considering that at the time I only had ABBB to work with. I love kings and the location but the course is a mix really, we do not have the best department for Maths though.

Quick Reply

Latest