The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Silly question..

This might be a silly question but how do you minor in something? Did you have to choose before applying?

I will be studying Management and IT, and I would love to minor in something like Psychology
Original post by Klatie
This might be a silly question but how do you minor in something? Did you have to choose before applying?

I will be studying Management and IT, and I would love to minor in something like Psychology

Hey - no such thing as a silly question! Minoring and majoring is something that only really exists in American universities/colleges and doesn't happen in the UK. You can do a joint honours degree as long a uni offers a specific degree of that combination of subjects - for example York offers English and Politics. Some universities like Exeter offer Flexible Combined Honours where you can choose two humanities to do, like Geography and English, but again that's really uncommon. I don't think it would be possible for you to do Management and IT with a minor in Psych sadly :frown: Hope I helped somewhat!
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by slightlyhomeless
Hey - no such thing as a silly question! Minoring and majoring is something that only really exists in American universities/colleges and doesn't happen in the UK. You can do a joint honours degree as long a uni offers a specific degree of that combination of subjects - for example York offers English and Politics. Some universities like Exeter offer Flexible Combined Honours where you can choose two humanities to do, like Geography and English, but again that's really uncommon. I don't think it would be possible for you to do Management and IT with a minor in Psych sadly :frown: Hope I helped somewhat!

I swear I read somewhere earlier it was possible?
Reply 3
Original post by Klatie

Scottish unis and Leicester do it.
Reply 4
Original post by kkboyk
Scottish unis and Leicester do it.

In the welcome book I have it says "Many degree programmes enable you to study minor subjects alongside your major in Part One. However not if Law, Medicine, Engineering or Physics"
Reply 5
Original post by Klatie
In the welcome book I have it says "Many degree programmes enable you to study minor subjects alongside your major in Part One. However not if Law, Medicine, Engineering or Physics"

If you're doing the above subject then you cannot study a minor subject.
Reply 6
Original post by kkboyk
If you're doing the above subject then you cannot study a minor subject.

Alright cheers, I was just confused as it doesn't fall into those categories :P
Reply 7
Original post by Klatie
Alright cheers, I was just confused as it doesn't fall into those categories :P

No worries :tongue:
Original post by Klatie

It is at Lancaster, I'm not sure the above poster realised that this was on the Lancaster sub-forum though.

You pick your minor subject(s) during freshers week. There are talks to introduce you to possible courses before you sign up so you don't have to go in totally blind. Most will have some kind of A Level requirement so typically people chose things that are vaguely related to their discipline. Like Historians may pick English or Politics.
Reply 9
Original post by Manitude
It is at Lancaster, I'm not sure the above poster realised that this was on the Lancaster sub-forum though.

You pick your minor subject(s) during freshers week. There are talks to introduce you to possible courses before you sign up so you don't have to go in totally blind. Most will have some kind of A Level requirement so typically people chose things that are vaguely related to their discipline. Like Historians may pick English or Politics.

Oh right thank you :smile:

The thing is with me is that I did Psychology at A level and I loved it. I saw that there is a Psychology society so was thinking of coming along to that anyway :smile:
Original post by Klatie
Oh right thank you :smile:

The thing is with me is that I did Psychology at A level and I loved it. I saw that there is a Psychology society so was thinking of coming along to that anyway :smile:

If you have an A level in it then I would imagine it's totally fine to do it as a minor. Societies are usually open to everyone, so that shouldn't be an issue.
Reply 11
Original post by Manitude
If you have an A level in it then I would imagine it's totally fine to do it as a minor. Societies are usually open to everyone, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Okay thank you!
Reply 12
Hey, Lancaster student here!

In Freshers Week they hold talks over a couple of days for all the subjects available as minors, which you're free to go to and see if those subjects appeal to you. Later in the week, you then go to your academic department for your major subject and generally there you let them know there what subject you are also choosing to minor in.

Consider the timetable made up of three 'blocks'. Each course takes up either one, two or three of these 'blocks', and then you take the appropriate number of minors to fill up the remaining free 'blocks' that you have. I'm not entirely sure how much of the timetable Management and IT take up, but overall they'll take up at least two 'blocks' - so you'll either be able to minor in one extra subject or not have any more space in your timetable to minor in something.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending