The Student Room Group

Article: What to expect from the second year of A level

Right, AS levels are done, now it’s time to strap on your seat belt and get ready for the next stage A2s.
You’ve got a few weeks before they begin so what can you do right now to get a head start on the final year of your A levels?

See more here:http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=19617-Nailing-the-step-up-to-A2

By: @The Learn Ranger
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Considering taking 14 exams in A2 as I'm resitting some AS subjects too for medicine. Is this smart because I think if i put in the effort i can achieve the grades i want.
Reply 2
Is this up-to-date for those starting A2 in Sept 2015? - aka, is it still 80% overall with 90% at A2? Thank you! :smile:
Original post by ewil
Is this up-to-date for those starting A2 in Sept 2015? - aka, is it still 80% overall with 90% at A2? Thank you! :smile:

Yeah
any revision tips aside from the above started writing out flash cards for all my subjects
Original post by leobrave
Considering taking 14 exams in A2 as I'm resitting some AS subjects too for medicine. Is this smart because I think if i put in the effort i can achieve the grades i want.

I took ten exams this summer (four AS resits) and brought my grades up from CCE to ABB - certainly worth a go! A lot of work though but if you're set on doing medicine it's definitely do-able as long as you work hard!

Good luck!
Reply 6
Original post by tommyprice5
Yeah

Thank you :smile:
Reply 7
is it possible to go from a c in AS to an a star or a in a2??
Original post by A84
is it possible to go from a c in AS to an a star or a in a2??

I got AABC, dropping the B and resitting the C to get an A. It really depends if you're willing to resit modules; for example, the C is in biology and I got a B and an A in the exams so I'm resitting the first exam but I'm also resitting the ISA because I got a U. I'm aiming for A*AA

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Sacred Ground
I got AABC, dropping the B and resitting the C to get an A. It really depends if you're willing to resit modules; for example, the C is in biology and I got a B and an A in the exams so I'm resitting the first exam but I'm also resitting the ISA because I got a U. I'm aiming for A*AA

Posted from TSR Mobile

so u r saying that only doing better in a2 wont increase the overall grade to an A/A*?? then i can of course go on and resit unit 1 or 2. but the problem is i am resitting other subs as well.. and someone said that only doing a2 better can increase this...
Good Luck anyways
Original post by callmehannah
I took ten exams this summer (four AS resits) and brought my grades up from CCE to ABB - certainly worth a go! A lot of work though but if you're set on doing medicine it's definitely do-able as long as you work hard!

Good luck!
What course did u apply for at UNI?
Original post by A84
so u r saying that only doing better in a2 wont increase the overall grade to an A/A*?? then i can of course go on and resit unit 1 or 2. but the problem is i am resitting other subs as well.. and someone said that only doing a2 better can increase this...
Good Luck anyways

no you can go from a C at AS to an A* at A level without resitting modules. if you have a fairly high C and get 90% UMS across your A2 modules, you'll get an A*. If you have a low C (I have 2 low Cs) you may have to get a little more than 90% UMS to get an A* overall because you need to first bring your A level grade up to an A before you can meet the 2nd criteria for the A* which is 90% or more across A2 units
Reply 12
Original post by beyknowles
no you can go from a C at AS to an A* at A level without resitting modules. if you have a fairly high C and get 90% UMS across your A2 modules, you'll get an A*. If you have a low C (I have 2 low Cs) you may have to get a little more than 90% UMS to get an A* overall because you need to first bring your A level grade up to an A before you can meet the 2nd criteria for the A* which is 90% or more across A2 units

Thank you so much for the conformation. i have a high C i guess cuz i was just 10 ums away from a B
Original post by leobrave

I was in that exact situation. It didn't go too well for me. Too much to do...absolutely too much. But your choice.
Good luck guys!! A2 was a killer for me, just got A*AA, it's all worth it in the end!
Got ABBB for AS do you think I can get A*AA at A2?
Original post by Charletitia
Good luck guys!! A2 was a killer for me, just got A*AA, it's all worth it in the end!

If you don't mind me asking, what where your AS grades and how did you revise for A2:confused:
Original post by Andrella
If you don't mind me asking, what where your AS grades and how did you revise for A2:confused:

AS grades were AAAAA: firstly the most important thing was understanding the concepts in lesson, then past papers back to back, as well as being tested by my friends and me testing them constantly!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by FloppedMyAS
What course did u apply for at UNI?

Biochemistry at Cardiff, Queen's, Queen Mary, Liverpool and Manchester - firmed Cardiff and that's where I'm heading next month.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
AAAA at AS to A*A*A* at A2 here.

If you've smashed your AS and won't be retaking, and probably won't be doing 4 A2s/STEP or anything, then my 'story' might interest you:

Spoiler

quote or PM me with any questions or anything
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest