The Student Room Group

college left me in a bad position

I'm 21 one and I plan on redoing some of my GCSEs starting this September. The reason why I believe they've left me in a bad position is due to 2 reasons. I planned on doing maths, english and science gcse this September. About a month ago I was sent a letter informing me to prep for a maths assessment, which I did.

Now at the time I realized I could just self-teach maths and take it at an exam centre which I planned on doing. They sent me no other letters regarding an assessment on english or science. In fact I assumed there wouldn't be a point as I've already passed all my gcses and I took A-level which required me to be proficient in english, in which I achieved A's in them.

My main area of interest was the doing gcse science as I'm hoping to A-levels in science and then go on to do a science degree. At the assessment I explained I also applied to science after taking the english and maths assessment. Then I was told I could only take 2 subjects, my first time hearing of this. So in the heat of the moment I decided I would just doing maths outside of the college and ask for the science paper. However, I hadn't prepared for the paper but thought why not. After looking at the paper I realized it was foundation gcse science which would be easy to pass with prep time, but it required me have knowledge on chemistry, physics and biology. I had some information on the paper from what I did 5 years ago, but the rest, 2/3, I couldn't remember so didn't bother because even if I got 100% on the 1/3 it wouldn't be sufficient for a pass.

Now I plan on going in next week and explaining this as I know I'm capable of succeeding on the course, but I wasn't informed that I would be taking it.

The reason I'm posting this is to find out whether there is anything else I can do or if I'm in the wrong here.
Hi

If you have already passed all your GCSEs, why would you want to do them again? It might be better to do A levels.
Original post by The Learn Ranger
Hi

If you have already passed all your GCSEs, why would you want to do them again? It might be better to do A levels.

I'm hoping to do the science A-levels and Maths. My gcses don't satisfy the entry requirements for such courses.

I've been looking around and I'm contemplating doing IGCSEs which are all exam based. However, I'm not sure if it's considered for the A-level courses.
As far as I'm aware, IGCSE's will be acceptable for A level, check with the college you want to do the A levels though just to be safe. Also check that the universities you're thinking about applying to accept them, they should but again best to check.

The other option is to find out if the universities you're thinking about going to accept access course. This would mean you doing iGCSE's over this coming year, Access course next year (2016-17) as well as applying to start uni 2017.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending