The Student Room Group

Boyfriend got UUU in AS levels

So yeah he got UUU in Maths, Physics and chemistry.He has always been smart.He was planning to do Mechanical engineering at uni.I honestly don't know what to tell him.He told me not to abandon him.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Let me guess? Smart but lazy?
So you thinking of leaving him just due to his results?
Academics isn't his thing.
Original post by Anonymous
So yeah he got UUU in Maths, Physics and chemistry.He has always been smart.He was planning to do Mechanical engineering at uni.I honestly don't know what to tell him.He told me not to abandon him.

I'm pretty sure Engineering is one thing you can do a BTEC for...
Reply 5
A lot of people who are smart don't do well at AS. A levels aren't the best measure of intelligence imo

If anyone walks out on a person because of a single result like this that doesn't really matter overall I honestly could never like that person.
Walking out because of a random grade fluctuation is the coldest thing you could ever do. Even the fact you might consider it is stupid.

The whole idea of a relationship is to be there for someone, if he asked you to not leave it just means he has gotten sad or depressed about his result because he did try for it. Just be there for him if you love him and if not you are still his friend right?

Anyone who walks out in this situation is a person I'd never want to talk to.
Reply 7

Tell him to repeat the year and work his ass off, like every other person that got that grade for that subject.

Go through with him what he did wrong throughout the year, and come up with a plan for which he can carry out when he starts again.
He's results ain't bad but he can redo the year.

Some people know the material but just suck at exams :smile:

Also that's cute of him asking you not to abandon him :colondollar:
Original post by Proxenus

What planet are you living on :erm:

What the actual ****?
I'm laughing so hard right now
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by StrawbAri
What the actual ****?
I'm laughing so hard right now?

So am I :laugh:

He got 3 Us. You can't sugarcoat that, they're not good results.

OP: get him to have a think about what went wrong. Did he not revise? Poor exam technique? Did he panic? Any extenuating circumstances? It may be that exams aren't his thing so get him to look into a relevant BTEC.
don't tell me you are considering dumping him because he is now a 'loser'
Original post by tomfailinghelp
I'm pretty sure Engineering is one thing you can do a BTEC for...

This is what I'm going to do and I got UUUU. I feel his pain, memorising a load of bull**** about psychological case studies just wasn't my thing. I think this which I'm going to do will be much more enjoyable.

OP, as long as you understand him as a person and his intelligence is obvious in infinitely more telling ways then you've no reason to consider leaving him. I'm assuming being kept in the manner to which you're accustomed isn't a factor
This happend to a lot of people in my sixth form. Most just retook the year, and went to university at 19 or 20 instead. I suggest that is what your boyfriend does, he'll be fine if he work hard next year.
Basically I think you'd be a callous, sallow, horrible human being if you left him, I'm sure you'll agree
Original post by hasii
A lot of people who are smart don't do well at AS. A levels aren't the best measure of intelligence imo

Yeah, could just be laziness or lack of interest.
Or he got distracted by too much "Shakalaka boom boom" ( pls see Maxim Bady reference)

In all seriousness, UUU at AS means not a lot of work was put in. I guess he will have to resit the year with a better mindset and just sacrifice social life for 2 years if he wants to get into a good uni for the degree he wants. Hope all goes well :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest