The Student Room Group

AQA A levels incorrect results

So it seems increasingly evident due to the growing social media campaign on twitter that AQA A level results this year seem to be incorrect especially in:

AQA English Literature
AQA Psychology

This problem seems to be affecting both AS and A2 results in these two subjects

AQA thus far are only replying with generic responses

There has been absolutely no indication that any sort of enquiry or action will be taken if results do indeed turn out to be incorrect.

Great discrepancies between predicited/mock grades and the exam grades received. In a subject such as English Literature which is largely skill based the level to which grades has declined is too much to be viable.

Additionally it seems that grade boundaries for the AS's have been ridiculously inflated compared to last years possibly by as much as 8 raw marks in English Literature AS.

I for one find it disgusting that we cannot trust the exam board to deliver the correct examination results. And even worse is that when it seems that mistakes have been made the incompetence only worsens as they attempt to fob us off with generic responses.

I know a great deal of people have been affected and currently little notice has been taken. Please share your story on this thread as a way to collaborate all of our complaints.

Please share this thread to everyone you can. We deserve better.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

The same has happened in my class for English Language and Literature AS. In the mocks I got 144/150, so 200/200 ums, but AQA gave me a D, when I thought I had done better in the exam that I had in the mocks. The same thing happened to other people in my class who got above 5 A*s at GCSE. Very annoying as it means I have another anxious few weeks waiting for the remark to come back.
Reply 2
So glad I am not alone in this. English Literature is my best subject and I've worked so hard all year and consistently was getting 96%+ in mock examinations. I also tutored an A2 student who was resitting the AS exam. We used the exact same content and points - my points. I was given a C in the exam and she was given 99%. It really didn't make any sense at all. Also, the rest of my class all were given unexpected C's and oddly enough they were all around the same mark. I doubt a whole investigation will take place but it definitely is worth anyone disappointed to get it remarked!

EDIT: I have since gone through the script with my teacher and the issue was surrounding handwriting and a few mistakes but still agreed that it was marked harshly and deserved more marks (which could have easily pushed me into an A). I highly recommend anyone who is disappointed to request their script and use is constructively as I am now confident I can correct it!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by HistoryStudent1
The same has happened in my class for English Language and Literature AS. In the mocks I got 144/150, so 200/200 ums, but AQA gave me a D, when I thought I had done better in the exam that I had in the mocks. The same thing happened to other people in my class who got above 5 A*s at GCSE. Very annoying as it means I have another anxious few weeks waiting for the remark to come back.

I'm sorry to hear that. Lots of mysterious D grades being given by AQA this year.
Same in my school, AS Psychology will be getting Bs and stuff and we were all predicted Cs and Bs yet everyone got U and the ones considered slightly smarted all got U in one and D in the other!
Original post by jcsiah
So glad I am not alone in this. English Literature is my best subject and I've worked so hard all year and consistently was getting 96%+ in mock examinations. I also tutored an A2 student who was resitting the AS exam. We used the exact same content and points - my points. I was given a C in the exam and she was given 99%. It really didn't make any sense at all. Also, the rest of my class all were given unexpected C's and oddly enough they were all around the same mark. I doubt a whole investigation will take place but it definitely is worth anyone disappointed to get it remarked!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Agreed. If you feel something is off with your grade you are likely correct. Definitely find out about remarks and talk to your teacher as they can submit appeals on behalf of the whole class.

I hope this is sorted out for all affected. ]
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
I usually hate these threads. They often seem to be spoiled kids who didn't get they grades they, for some reason, felt like they deserved.

I got a C in my A2 English exam. Which is weird, considering I got full marks in last years exam and also A's in my coursework. However, I just put it down to me bombing on the day.

Interesting to see where this goes
Original post by Joshb873
I usually hate these threads. They often seem to be spoiled kids who didn't get they grades they, for some reason, felt like they deserved.

I got a C in my A2 English exam. Which is weird, considering I got full marks in last years exam and also A's in my coursework. However, I just put it down to me bombing on the day.

Interesting to see where this goes

I too would normally dismiss such threads but this is too common an issue for it to be simply people who over estimated their grades.

People predicted A* and offered places at oxford/Cambridge have had exam results of D's and E's despite never having received such a low grade previously.

I would suggest maybe looking into a remark just in case although of course be aware of possible mark downs.
Original post by Joshb873
I usually hate these threads. They often seem to be spoiled kids who didn't get they grades they, for some reason, felt like they deserved.I got a C in my A2 English exam. Which is weird, considering I got full marks in last years exam and also A's in my coursework. However, I just put it down to me bombing on the day.Interesting to see where this goes

Original post by Guardianbright
I too would normally dismiss such threads but this is too common an issue for it to be simply people who over estimated their grades.

People predicted A* and offered places at oxford/Cambridge have had exam results of D's and E's despite never having received such a low grade previously.

I would suggest maybe looking into a remark just in case although of course be aware of possible mark downs.

"I usually dismiss/hate these threads, but because this effects me I actually care!"
Original post by anonwinner
"I usually dismiss/hate these threads, but because this effects me I actually care!"

Of course. But seeing as many people seem to have been affected surely that will mean many people will care which is the point of the thread.
I did AS English Lit for AQA and got an A in my coursework and a U in my exam despite finding the exam decent. My teacher is furious at AQA as she said a couple of years ago they didn't add up the marks probably to a student (so skipped 2/3 of the questions' marks) and that's what she thinks happened to me. It's absolutely ridiclous they'll make these mistakes.
For the record I don't take psychology however the general consensus on twitter etc.. seems to be showing abnormal patterns in some AQA subjects. Maybe we have all got it very wrong. But maybe we haven't...and thus awareness of the issue is still justified.
My exam board was AQA too. I like many of my friends in my English Language class have gotten E/U grades in the exam. Have absolutely no clue how. This doesn't make sense since I got a B in the coursework (one off an A) and have been getting B/C grades in our mocks over the year. This exam felt even better than the others, I have no idea what's going on.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by annabanana12
I did AS English Lit for AQA and got an A in my coursework and a U in my exam despite finding the exam decent. My teacher is furious at AQA as she said a couple of years ago they didn't add up the marks probably to a student (so skipped 2/3 of the questions' marks) and that's what she thinks happened to me. It's absolutely ridiclous they'll make these mistakes.

Your teacher is correct these kind of issues have occurred before with English Literature. The subject is rather notorious for this sort of thing in fact.
Original post by HeskeyLAD
My exam board was AQA too. I like many of my friends in my English Language class have gotten E/U grades in the exam. Have absolutely no clue how. This doesn't make sense since I got a B in the coursework (one off an A) and have been getting B/C grades in our mocks over the year. This exam felt even better than the others, I have no idea what's going on.

My friends taking English Lang had the same happen to them , I think something dodgy has happened within the marking.
Original post by HeskeyLAD

I would suggest looking into remarks definitely in case nothing comes of our complaints. Your teacher can also make appeals on a whole class basis if it is very wide spread.
I thought that it was OCR that messed up. I got an A in my AQA psychology but got Cs in my OCR history and media. All of my friends also got Cs in history, the grades for media were even worse. . some people even got Es.
Idk what marks i got since I'm abroad and didn't get the reference sheet. Is it worth getting remarks? I knew I did badly in history (we didn't get taught a whole module which came up on the exam) but I was doing very well in media during the year. My coursework was best in class and I thought the exam went well.
I feel like this may be the case for history too.
I'm gutted because I've been getting consistent high A grades all year (with 96% in my mock exam) and dropped to a B in the psychology exams that were easier (and I was more prepared for!) than the others I've done? Also came out with the exact same UMS in both PSYA1 and PSYA2 which I think is a little weird? And AQA just respond telling me to speak to my teachers etc etc - how about you stop the generic responses and tell us whether something has gone wrong or not AQA?! 😒
Original post by Guardianbright
I would suggest looking into remarks definitely in case nothing comes of our complaints. Your teacher can also make appeals on a whole class basis if it is very wide spread.

Also, the smartest person in our class got a D in the exam. Just arouses my suspicion even more.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending