The Student Room Group

AQA A levels incorrect results

Scroll to see replies

Original post by enaayrah
Lol I got the D in LITB1.

Maybe I'm just ****

I don't even know

Huh that's so weird! The only unusual result we had was one of my friends got a B but she was only off by 1 UMS :/ Though the questions for us were really decent, we do Browning, Rossetti, The Kite Runner and The Road :s-smilie:

In terms of Psych - most people did fine in the first exam (As and Bs) but completely failed the second (Es and Us) so I wonder what happened there
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 41
English is the only subject I can do comfortably. For A2 (lang and lit) my coursework was marked as a high B, one or two marks off an A, and my teacher is great. However when the results came back it was marked down as a low C. So how is it possible coursework can drop 2 entire grades? When it was marked by one of my college's best teachers and referenced to another.

Even my exam which went really well for me and I applied everything they wanted, I came out with a high E. My 2 courses were 2 marks of an overall C. My uni course required CC from them and a B in English. I was sure with my coursework I had a C set in stone by dong average at the exam, and I was sure a good B would be achieved. But I came out with 3 D's, and my really stupid English grade meant they couldn't allow me to go straight onto the degree course, I need to do a higher education course first.

So it's super frustrating, Even the best in our class achieved merely a D. I may get it remarked, but the way these exams have been marked im not sure if it's worth it?
It appears that this issue doesn't affect everybody but enough for it to be significant I think.

Undoubtedly some people may have just had a bad exam or something. But our school at least has never known so many high ability students to nose-dive like seems to be the case this year.
Original post by mogwai98
But maybe they just had a bad exam? They might not even have realised it didn't go that well if it's not a sub like Maths where there's only one correct answer.

All this talk of AQA messing up marking is making me feel uneasy though.

She said the exam was pretty easy, she coasted through our mocks with A grades and because of the D grade ended up with a B overall. That's what she told me. We're both a bit shocked.

I also did Maths and my marks for that are absolutely spot on, nothing like English Language where subjectivity is much more apparent as according to the examiners.
I got a B in my A2 geography exam despite getting full UMS at AS and the equivalent to full ums on my mock exam.

I'm getting it remarked too and after hearing that other essay based subjects like english lit, psych, history and econ have had massive dips in grades it makes me think that AQA have employed some very incompetent essay markers this year
I don't think people on this thread should be too optimistic.

It may be right that something has gone wrong with AQA, but I personally know plenty of people who's marks have been totally normally. By all means contact them or whatever, but be careful about expecting to be happy with the responses.
Original post by antigone-
Huh that's so weird! The only unusual result we had was one of my friends got a B but she was only off by 1 UMS :/ Though the questions for us were really decent, we do Browning, Rossetti, The Kite Runner and The Road :s-smilie:

In terms of Psych - most people did fine in the first exam (As and Bs) but completely failed the second (Es and Us) so I wonder what happened there

that's a point. With optional questions it may be affecting certain questions only? Something to consider.
none angry about aqa epq? just me?
It appears its issues with essay subjects which much more easily have issues due to subjectivity. Mark schemes say they should have I.e "coherent and sophisticated writing" I think regardless of standardisation that leaves some window of error based on examiners interpretations.

We did Auden, Rossetti, The Kite Runner and The Great Gatsby

I'll see what my tutor says :smile:

I literally scraped the B at 140/200 and that looks atrocious compared to my UMS in my other subjects.

I don't mind if it's supposed to be that though, my chosen university have said that it's 'highly unlikely' they'll look at my Lit grade in my application (I'm applying for the sciences) :smile:
I got a C in LITB1 after doing well in recent mocks. Did I just have a bad day? This is so confusing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by enaayrah
We did Auden, Rossetti, The Kite Runner and The Great Gatsby

I'll see what my tutor says :smile:

I literally scraped the B at 140/200 and that looks atrocious compared to my UMS in my other subjects.

I don't mind if it's supposed to be that though, my chosen university have said that it's 'highly unlikely' they'll look at my Lit grade in my application (I'm applying for the sciences) :smile:

That sucks but at least it's not an important grade! Personally I hated the Rossetti Section A so I did Browning haha
There is definitely a chance that for many of us grades are correct. However if you believe strongly that they are not it is worth getting them looked at. AQA may be fine but then again it might not be. It's up to us to challenge them if we think it isn't.
Original post by GeorgiaAnnBeal
I got a C in LITB1 after doing well in recent mocks. Did I just have a bad day? This is so confusing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I got a D - 7 UMS off a C.

I feel like it might have just been bad a day but it seems like such an anomaly compared to my other units and grades :s-smilie:

Though I do have to admit that the rest of my subjects were sciences and maths
Edit
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 55
this has happened to me too. not for psychology, got an A in that but for english lang and lit i got a C and I was getting A's and A*'s throughout the year, i got an A in the mock exam too. my whole class were predicted A*, A and B's no one was expected to get below that. so we were shocked when we all ended up getting C's D's and E's, only 1 person got an A. We sent for a whole class remark but nothing changed much only 3 peoples marks changed but not by enough to make any difference, my C grade stayed a 3 grade but i was given 3 more marks.
this happened to my gcse english too, I think it is the way the mark scheme for english exams is designed, the mark scheme is to vague so one examiner can mark the exam in a different way to another.
I am just really annoyed at the whole thing, I enjoyed english and i was rather good at it, so it was very disheartening to see my grade a lot lower than i deserved
In no way are we saying AQA is definitely wrong. We are just highlighting the possibility due to our own experiences.
That sucks but at least it's not an important grade! Personally I hated the Rossetti Section A so I did Browning haha

Yeah I did Auden, which had Question 1 on his hardest poem in the anthology, and Question 2 on an obscure (but less obscure than Rossetti) topic

Meh

It's okay I guess
Think everyone needs to grow up a bit. You get a lower grade than you expected and immediately blame the exam board? Seems slightly childish to me.
Original post by HeskeyLAD
She said the exam was pretty easy, she coasted through our mocks with A grades and because of the D grade ended up with a B overall. That's what she told me. We're both a bit shocked.

I also did Maths and my marks for that are absolutely spot on, nothing like English Language where subjectivity is much more apparent as according to the examiners.

Hopefully she'll get a better grade with a remark then because that does seem odd, and not a unique case from what I've read on here and elsewhere. I wonder if this year will see a big rise in people requesting remarks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending