The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Yes, some advantage.
Reply 2
Philosoraptor
Yes, some advantage.

In what way?
MTAS form. (Waits for Sarky to come and kill him :p:)
Reply 4
Philosoraptor
MTAS form. (Waits for Sarky to come and kill him :p:)

If you can explain why an intercalated degree will give you an advantage over someone who hasn't got one then i won't kill you :wink: . I don't mean in your degree, i mean simply for the purpose of the MTAS form. Where are you getting your info from? :confused:
Reply 5
If I remember correctly then you can get an extra 1 point or something on the application form for F1 which really isn't that much. We were told that the main benefits of an intercalated degree can come with later employment opportunities but I could be wrong.
Reply 6
bah, so in peninsula only the top 20% can intercalate, whereas in other med schools its compulsory? that doesn't seem fair
Well some only let their best do it, others froce it. Sometimes it's the universities with more stringent academic requirements that force the intercalation so maybe both ways the medical schools ensure good iBScs.
Reply 8
Philosoraptor
Well some only let their best do it, others froce it. Sometimes it's the universities with more stringent academic requirements that force the intercalation so maybe both ways the medical schools ensure good iBScs.

Not sure that answered my question :confused:
I was answering feluda :p:. I dunno, say you want to do research and do one in something relevant, or do anatomy and want to be a surgeon etc.
Reply 10
Philosoraptor
Sometimes it's the universities with more stringent academic requirements that force the intercalation so maybe both ways the medical schools ensure good iBScs.

You are really starting to annoy me now. I don't know whether you are actually an arrogant prick or are trying to be one but either way you make yourself look like more and more of an idiot every time you post. When you get to medical school you will realise that there are people who might actually be smarter/better than you and you won't be blowing your own trumpet then. When I last checked, all medical schools had pretty "stringent academic requirements" and nearly all of them except for one or two asked for some sort of an entrance examination.

Universities offer intercalation depending on the amount of resources they have available to accommodate the students who wish to take this option.

The reason why places like PMS or BSMS only offer it to the top 15% is because (if it hadn't escaped you attention) that compared to places like Manchester, these medical schools are relatively new and for the time being at least are small in size (both staff and student numbers) than said traditional medical school.

So far only one year group will have intercalated/had the option to intercalate at either of the two medical schools mentioned above. As these medical schools are small in size it is only feasible for them to offer a small percentage of students the option to intercalate. However as demand grows for intercalation and as the student numbers grow, the percentage of students offered the option to intercalate will no doubt grow.

Don't forget there is also the opportunity to intercalate at another institution as long as there is a place available for you. I know for a fact King's and St George's accept students from other medical schools to intercalate there for a year depending on whether or not places are available.
Reply 11
Oh and Mr. Philosoraptor, start behaving or else I'll send the dogs round.
Lol I was taking the complete *(urine)* , completely joking! hehe, I just wanted to see how someone would respond. Sorry :biggrin:
Reply 13
Philosoraptor
Lol I was taking the complete *(urine)* , completely joking! hehe, I just wanted to see how someone would respond. Sorry :biggrin:

OK I forgive you. But I still think I should send the dogs round.
Thanks! Ooh I like dogs they're cool! Especially my neighbours' dalmations!
my attitude is like this: its like choosing triple science or double science at GCSE but just at degree level... It may benefit you. i think it will..
Bring on the science. :biggrin:
Reply 17
Philosoraptor
Thanks! Ooh I like dogs they're cool! Especially my neighbours' dalmations!

I was going to send round a dalmation along with a poodle, afghan hound, st bernard, a bulldog and a pitbull terrier.
Reply 18
One thing is for sure intercalating is certainly not a disadvantage, so doing it wouldn't probably hurt anyway.
On the pocket it might be though!

Latest

Trending

Trending