The Student Room Group

Dental Hygiene to dentistry?

Hi, Is it possible to study dental hygiene then dentistry?

Are there any possible routes to take in order to study dentistry (for example dental hygiene first and then dentistry)?

Thank you
Reply 1
You can do BSc Dental Hygiene and Therapy (not the diploma) and then apply as a graduate to study dentistry. You'd have to start from year 1 on the 5 year course (and fund the 1st 4 years yourself) or try to get onto a 4 year course (where you'd get some financial help).
Newcastle also allow exceptional DH students to transfer to their dental course after first year but there's lots of competition - if you know want to do dentistry you should apply for it first, otherwise when you come to interview second time round, questions will be asked about why you didn't go for it in the first place :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by KitikatStrider
Newcastle also allow exceptional DH students to transfer to their dental course after first year but there's lots of competition - if you know want to do dentistry you should apply for it first, otherwise when you come to interview second time round, questions will be asked about why you didn't go for it in the first place :smile:

NCL have 2 places for the transfer for the whole of HYG+Ther and Biomed students to compete for and you have to pretty much get a 1st in your first year to even be considered.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hence "exceptional" I still maintain that if you know you definitely want to do dent you should apply first time round :yep:
Reply 5
Original post by KitikatStrider
Hence "exceptional" I still maintain that if you know you definitely want to do dent you should apply first time round :yep:

I was just adding further info to your post, not criticising it. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by teeth_brum
I was just adding further info to your post, not criticising it. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oops my mistake, sincere apologies! XD

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest