The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

Anyone doing Biomedical Science 2015 entry

hi anyone doing the biomed 3 years starting 2015?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I am!
I dont know anyone going to that uni and im scared :frown:
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website
Reply 2
Yes!

So looking forward to it and a bit scared too :-)
Reply 3
Original post by Philippamalko
I'm going into my second year if anyone has any questions about the course

how competitive is the transfer to medicine aspect of the biomed
Reply 4

How did your first year go? i'm really nervous, cause i won't know anyone and i'm a bit scared that the work load will become to much
Reply 5

What are your favourite and least favourite things about the course?
Reply 6
My first year went pretty well I got 83.5% average over 8 modules with two of them being in the 90s.
I really wouldn't be nervous, I thought uni would be such a big step up but to be honest I was surprised at how easy it can be to keep up if you're organised and prepare with enough time before exams (which, by the way are multiple choice so easier than long answer exams)
Every lecture is available on recap to listen to again so missing some or not understanding a topic isn't necessarily an issue. The lab practicals for me got me the highest module marks cause they were straight forward and you have time to go away and look up the answers. You only have 2 essays to write all year, both of which you're given the title ahead of time for.

Do not buy any books it's pointless in first year, the only time you're likely to need them is just for the essays so go to the library they have plenty of copies

You're given a work submission timetable right at the start of the year so you can never miss a deadline.
Don't worry people are very friendly and you'll soon settle in :smile:

Thank you so much, it helps. Which Uni did you go to
Reply 7
It's the Newcastle forum so newcastle haha, I'd assumed everyone on this post was going there too?

Ah, I'm going Aston
Reply 8
In a word, extremely.
At the start of the year they asked who intended to transfer to medicine and the majority of people (in a year of ~360) raised their hand. Saying that the number of people considering it does decrease over time, either they like the course and decide not to change or decide it's unlikely they'll get in or get grades lower than they had expected after the January exams.

They're competing for 7 places so it's always going to be tough but I do know a girl who made the transfer and will be doing medicine this year

thats really great info! thanks. I'm looking to do that so I'm hoping to work really hard to get into that!
Reply 9
I'll just start off by listing the modules for first year:
Semester 1 - cell biology, biochemistry, genetics, practical skills 1
Semester 2 - physiology, pharmacology, microbiology and immunology, practical skills 2

My favourite module would probably be physiology, it's broken down into components of the body but it was really interesting to learn about the eye and the ear.
Aspects of genetics and M&I were probably my least favourite and had a tendency to be dull. Infact the genetics of microbes so those combined was the worst for me.

Sometimes you can have interesting practicals but you can also have 3 hours setting up 80 test tubes and adding solutions, putting all the lids on, vortexing taking the lids off adding a component, lids back on, waiting 30 minutes etc but I guess it's all good experience

Thanks so much for answering - really interesting.

Just one more! Are there many mature students in your intake? I'm a bit nervous that I'll be the only one and find it difficult. I'm planning on joining in as much as I can but also have other commitments outside uni.
Original post by Taylou
Thanks so much for answering - really interesting.

Just one more! Are there many mature students in your intake? I'm a bit nervous that I'll be the only one and find it difficult. I'm planning on joining in as much as I can but also have other commitments outside uni.

Actually yeah a few, I don't know how mature you're talking but if I looked around a lecture theatre id probably see about 5-10 people 25+ If not more but obviously that's just what I can assume from looks. I wouldn't worry though I'm sure you'll find some people in the same boat as you
Reply 11
Actually yeah a few, I don't know how mature you're talking but if I looked around a lecture theatre id probably see about 5-10 people 25+ If not more but obviously that's just what I can assume from looks. I wouldn't worry though I'm sure you'll find some people in the same boat as you

Perfect! Thanks again.
Reply 12
Ah well you have to ignore what I said about exams and workload cause it could be entirely different at that uni. I'm sure you'll cope fine never the less, good luck :smile:

Never the less, still thank you
Reply 13
As long as you have a good UKCAT score and do consistently well in your modules (I think it's like 75%+ to start off with) you should atleast get to interview I'd think. Make sure you keep up with work experience or something extracurricular but relevant while you're at uni so you've got current things to mention in your personal statement. They hold sessions for people wanting to transfer to guide you through so it should be okay :smile:

i just done my ukcat now and i got 2750 (688 average) so hopefully i can really give it my all from the get go. thats good that they offer sessions. do they begin as soon as we start the course or nearing to december when you apply?
Reply 14
The girl I know that transferred got 735 average but I don't know what the cut off was but obviously competition is high.
The first session was 5th dec I just checked my timetable

okay thanks a lot for that!
Reply 15
I'm doing biomed but doing the 4 year course instead of the 3, not interested in the transfer to medicine tbh :smile:
Reply 16
The girl I know that transferred got 735 average but I don't know what the cut off was but obviously competition is high.
The first session was 5th dec I just checked my timetable

can you do your ukcat next summer? im interested in applying for the transfer, but dont you have to do the ukcat after your 1st year is complete?
Reply 17
for the place you got on medicine, what did you get at a level and what uni gave you your offer?
Reply 18
Hi all, check out 'Newcastle South Asian Society' on facebook! Thanks x
Reply 19
I got A*AAA at A level, with a 770 UKCAT if I remember rightly, I got an offer from Leicester which I rejected, and then I got a call from Newcastle on results day offering me a place on medicine there, but I again decide to turn it down and let it go to someone else who wanted it more

So why did you turn down medicine? did you want to do biomed all along?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending