The Student Room Group

AS grades were unexpected - remark or resit?

Hi! So, in my mocks I got AABB (A in English Lit, A in Psychology, B in History, B in Philosophy+Ethics) so I was completely shocked to open my results on Thursday to see BCDD (B in English, C in History, D in Psychology and D in Philosophy+Ethics).

After a discussion with my school I was informed that my B in English was 3 raw marks off of an A, and my C in History was 1/2 marks off of a B, should I consider getting these remarked? Or completely resit them? Bearing in mind, my psychology mark was 6 raw marks off of a C, so I will be resitting that exam, too.

I'm aiming to get my results up enough that I can apply for English and Media at Royal Holloway, whose entry requirements are ABB. Am I being realistic, or should I aim lower?

I basically just wanted to ask if remarking or resitting are the best options, and also if I should aim my sights lower than Royal Holloway.
Reply 1
Original post by RoamingEmpire
Hi! So, in my mocks I got AABB (A in English Lit, A in Psychology, B in History, B in Philosophy+Ethics) so I was completely shocked to open my results on Thursday to see BCDD (B in English, C in History, D in Psychology and D in Philosophy+Ethics).

After a discussion with my school I was informed that my B in English was 3 raw marks off of an A, and my C in History was 1/2 marks off of a B, should I consider getting these remarked? Or completely resit them? Bearing in mind, my psychology mark was 6 raw marks off of a C, so I will be resitting that exam, too.

I'm aiming to get my results up enough that I can apply for English and Media at Royal Holloway, whose entry requirements are ABB. Am I being realistic, or should I aim lower?

I basically just wanted to ask if remarking or resitting are the best options, and also if I should aim my sights lower than Royal Holloway.

I say get all of those remarked (even the psychology) and ask for photocopies of the script of all of your exams if you feel you've been marked unfairly. Honestly, i get the money can be an issue but personally i'm willing to fork out a significant amount if it means i get the grades. Even with you're current grades it is still possible to get good grades (if remarks are unsuccesful then resit a couple modules to boost your UMS) as long as you work your butt off at A2. Whats just as important as your AS grades for getting uni offers is your predicted grades... if your teachers predict you good grades you will still get uni offers. Don't give up!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply 2
same here, I am certain i want to study english lit at uni yet i got a C in my AS and most of the uni's im looking at want an A in Alevel overall , yet i am one from a B which will make an A easier to get even though its going to be hard yet even if i get one more or a few i am low in the B band so should i retake? and if so can i retake coursework as im pretty sure i can get that up to an A now??? and i should note i am on OCR exam board and i do feel my performance in the exam was much higher then what i was given PLEASE HELP
A reply from myself currently to myself back in 2015 - entry requirements aren't as strict and stern as you think they are. You got into Royal Holloway for English and Film with BCC. You good buddy.

Quick Reply

Latest