The Student Room Group

Retaking A2 Levels, gap year before Uni?

Completely messed up on 2 modules, very unexpected. AQA ECON4 was very strong for me, and ICT's G063 felt like a breeze in the exam room. In Econ i'm off by like 13 marks (21ums) to get an A overall. And in OCR ICT I'm off by 23 marks (29ums) to get a B.

I missed my firm which is Southampton Uni (AAB), there is no way I'm going to get an AAB, but very possible to get a ABC. In clearing Southampton Uni is accepting BBB, and said ABC is fine. So if I apply next year, get rejected and apply through clearing would they require me to get better than BBB/ABC because it is not in one sitting. I know the grade requirements for clearing may change, but I will still be in a better position with hopefully improved grades, thus choosing other unis.

I have sent for a priority remark, but not sure if the examiner would have missed out on so many marks for BOTH subjects too.

So the question is how do I retake the 2 modules? Don't know how I feel about going back to sixth form to retake lessons, will be heart crushing to see my former teachers again, but if it comes to it I'll take it obviously. Or is there a way to sign up for the exam and take it in summer and self study etc. Either ways how do I go about retaking the 2 modules, what needs arranging and how to set up.

PS: I currently have a confirmed space with Swansea University, but I less and less want to go there. From seeing Soton Uni clean/new/nice city and school wise, going to Swansea is saddening imo considering how many say it is rough/run down etc.

How do I get released from Swansea University from clearing? Do I ring them up? What do I say? I've already added to my track/they accepted me :frown:

Please, please help. Thank you.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Just call Swansea and let me know you have changed your mind and ask to be released, I see no problem with that. I really think you shouldn't waste your money and student loan on a uni you don't want to go to. As I am in your situation too right now, the best advice one of my friends gave me is not to rush life. We have a long time and what gets to me Is going after my friends butwe have to remember not everyone's journey is the same.
And you can sign up to a local college or tell your school you just want to resit the exams and you can self teach
Original post by KnoVolt
Completely messed up on 2 modules, very unexpected. AQA ECON4 was very strong for me, and ICT's G063 felt like a breeze in the exam room. In Econ i'm off by like 13 marks (21ums) to get an A overall. And in OCR ICT I'm off by 23 marks (29ums) to get a B.

I missed my firm which is Southampton Uni (AAB), there is no way I'm going to get an AAB, but very possible to get a ABC. In clearing Southampton Uni is accepting BBB, and said ABC is fine. So if I apply next year, get rejected and apply through clearing would they require me to get better than BBB/ABC because it is not in one sitting. I know the grade requirements for clearing may change, but I will still be in a better position with hopefully improved grades, thus choosing other unis.

I have sent for a priority remark, but not sure if the examiner would have missed out on so many marks for BOTH subjects too.

So the question is how do I retake the 2 modules? Don't know how I feel about going back to sixth form to retake lessons, will be heart crushing to see my former teachers again, but if it comes to it I'll take it obviously. Or is there a way to sign up for the exam and take it in summer and self study etc. Either ways how do I go about retaking the 2 modules, what needs arranging and how to set up.

PS: I currently have a confirmed space with Swansea University, but I less and less want to go there. From seeing Soton Uni clean/new/nice city and school wise, going to Swansea is saddening imo considering how many say it is rough/run down etc.

How do I get released from Swansea University from clearing? Do I ring them up? What do I say? I've already added to my track/they accepted me :frown:

Hello,
If you would like to visit Swansea University before making your final decision, we are running Clearing Open Days every day this week until Friday 21st August. At the Open Day you can get the chance to speak to your department, have a tour of the campus/sports facilities and speak to our Residential Services staff about the accommodation available. Please let me know if you have any more questions about Swansea University and I will do my best to help!
Reply 3
Original post by KnoVolt

Hi, sorry to hear that things have not gone your way. I missed my UCL offer of AAA as I got an unexpected ABC, which annoyed me thoroughly as the B in 4 marks off an A and the C is 2 marks off a B, I went for re-marks but anyway. I am not going to Sussex. However I have never gotten a C in my life and will privately re-take next year and have already made arrangements. I may re-take the B also but that will depend solely on Uni work load but I probably won't

If you don't want to go back to 6th form I can understand that, what you need to do is find an exam centre that does your exam boards and is willing to accept private candidates, then you simply need to try your up most hardest to improve on your grades in every way possible. As for re-applying you could ask your old school to help with your UCAS application in terms of references and things like that. Good luck and please do keep me updated on what you decide!

What did you end up getting this year, and what was your insurance? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending