The Student Room Group

Which one? A Uni which is better on paper or a Uni which I'd enjoy more?

So I got an offer for a foundation course at a good Russel Group university (20th place). This basically means I have to do an extra year, pass that year, and then I'd be accepted into the University to do the full course. The advantage of this University is of course, it's a russel group, it's going to look great on paper and possible better teaching and standards? Disadvantage is that I'll be paying an extra £5,000 and so I won't be getting accomodation (I live locally).

OR, I can go with my insurance, a University rated around 50th place in the rankings. The modules are practically the same (some differences of course), it also means I won't have to do that extra year and so I will get accomodation. Advantages is that I will experience the 'full university life' and I'll be able to finish education quicker. Disadvantage is that I'd just have an average degree from a not-so-well known university.

Which one would you guys suggest?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The second option.

I really hope one day people on this forum will stop believing that Russell group is the be all and end all.

When you get out into the real world employers will only care what uni you went to if it was Oxbridge. That's it.

No employer is ever going to look at you and go, "oh you went to a 50th ranked uni", employers don't care about that... It's only small minded immature tsrians that do.
Reply 2
Also, bear in mind most employers won't even know what rank different unis are
Definitely a uni you will enjoy. I had a firm offer for University of Leicester. I exceeded my offer and was considering a Russell Group uni to upgrade to (law firms and chambers like Russell Group unis).

I liked Leicester so much, I just couldn't go to another uni. You spend time researching and visiting the place, you end up seeing yourself there loving it. Leicester still has a top law school, so I didn't care about the Russel Group uni status
You wouldn't get an average degree based on the uni you go to. It's how hard you work which gets you 2:1/1st
Reply 5
Original post by tim_123
The second option.

I really hope one day people on this forum will stop believing that Russell group is the be all and end all.

When you get out into the real world employers will only care what uni you went to if it was Oxbridge. That's it.

No employer is ever going to look at you and go, "oh you went to a 50th ranked uni", employers don't care about that... It's only small minded immature tsrians that do.

Yeah, i completely get you! Ive always been told " oh go to russell group!".
Dont get me wrong, id still enjoy the russell group, but i'd say it'll be more fun getting accomodation.
Reply 6
Original post by StudioR
Yeah, i completely get you! Ive always been told " oh go to russell group!".
Dont get me wrong, id still enjoy the russell group, but i'd say it'll be more fun getting accomodation.

Unfortunately it gets drummed into you when your 18. It's a load of rubbish.

You'll only get the best results if you enjoy where you go... And getting a 2:1 or 1st from a non Russell group is better than a 3rd from a Russell group
'Russell Group' is about marketing - that is ALL.

It doesn't mean 'a better Uni', or 'better teaching' however you define either of those,

It doesn't mean you will enjoy the course more.

It doesn't mean the accommodation or the Uni facilities will be 'better'.

It certainly doesn't mean you will be more employable at the end of your degree - many of the non-RG Unis actually prepare you better to enter the world of work (placements, years in industry etc) than RG degree courses - and relevant employers know that.

Schools are really stupid about 'Russell Group' - mainly because they don't understand what it means or they think it makes them look good to prospective parents. It actually means NOTHING impressive at all.
(edited 8 years ago)
Only on TSR people have an obsession with the Russel Group.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by StudioR
So I got an offer for a foundation course at a good Russel Group university (20th place). This basically means I have to do an extra year, pass that year, and then I'd be accepted into the University to do the full course. The advantage of this University is of course, it's a russel group, it's going to look great on paper and possible better teaching and standards? Disadvantage is that I'll be paying an extra £5,000 and so I won't be getting accomodation (I live locally).

OR, I can go with my insurance, a University rated around 50th place in the rankings. The modules are practically the same (some differences of course), it also means I won't have to do that extra year and so I will get accomodation. Advantages is that I will experience the 'full university life' and I'll be able to finish education quicker. Disadvantage is that I'd just have an average degree from a not-so-well known university.

Hi there,

The most important thing you can do is make sure that both the university and the course you want to study are a good fit for you. You are spending a lot of time and money to go to university so enjoying the course, campus etc. is important. As for league tables I always found it more useful to look at how good a university was at the subject I wanted to study, which is what makes it more relevant to you.

Regarding the outcome of your degree, you get out what you put in at university and if you work hard, there is no reason why you couldn't come out with a first or 2.1.

I would suggest making a list of pros and cons of each course of action, visit the universities (again), use social media to look at feedback and talk to current students and don't be afraid to contact the universities directly with questions.

Hope this helps, good luck!

The University of Gloucestershire
The second one!!! Choose the uni you'll enjoy. You'll finish the course quicker too. Don't think rankings are too much of a deal tbh .. Good luck :smile: But thats just my opinion, check this out tho :
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/10245793/A-level-students-if-you-dont-get-into-a-Russell-Group-university-skip-going-altogether.html
Reply 11
Guys, if I went through UCAS again and apply for the same University, would they accept me because they had done so last year?
Go where you're happy.

If you aren't happy you won't do as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by StudioR

Pick the cheaper option. Having a degree from a top 20 university will not entitle you to a better pick of jobs. What you need is a good classification, work experience and suitable personality - develop those three things while at university (it doesn't really matter which one at all) and incur the least amount of debt along the way. I think the extra year with the extra £5,000 (not including the other fees) will be a big waste.
Original post by tim_123
Unfortunately it gets drummed into you when your 18. It's a load of rubbish.

You'll only get the best results if you enjoy where you go... And getting a 2:1 or 1st from a non Russell group is better than a 3rd from a Russell group

People at Russell Group unis know how to use "your" correctly, though. That's what sets us apart from the rest.
Original post by callum_law
People at Russell Group unis know how to use "your" correctly, though. That's what sets us apart from the rest.

Funny that. The only thing that sets you apart is the constant need to tell people you went to a russel group. Once you've done some growing up you'll understand that
Original post by tim_123
Funny that. The only thing that sets you apart is the constant need to tell people you went to a russel group. Once you've done some growing up you'll understand that

That and the generally higher academic standards, aye. And I am grown up.
Original post by callum_law
That and the generally higher academic standards, aye. And I am grown up.

Higher academic standards only matters when you get into places like Oxbridge and imperial. Anything other than that and you'll get laughed out of a job for telling people that your uni was russle group
Original post by tim_123
Higher academic standards only matters when you get into places like Oxbridge and imperial. Anything other than that and you'll get laughed out of a job for telling people that your uni was russle group

Funny how it's the people at non-RG unis who say RG unis don't matter ...

Who ya kidding?
The second one for sure, you've even described it a lot more positively in the OP. You don't need us to validate your decision, you seem kinda set on the second one, go for it :biggrin: !

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending