Scroll to see replies

TSR Applicants for Westminster 2015 Entry

pennysj - Maths, Biology, Chemistry, ?

Midori222 - Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Latin, Electronics

aprlxo - English Lit., Music, Maths, Physics

Sophie-o - Art History, ?

pilot_888 - Maths, Further Maths, Biology, Chemistry

big-dreamer - Maths, Economics, History, French

yasi98 - Chemistry, Biology, Maths, R.S.

MeiMei15401 - Maths, Further Maths, English Lit., Economics

Jasinfinities - Maths, Economics, Spanish, History

ephemeral09 - Chemistry, Biology, French, English Lit.

ohkelech - Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, Physics, Electronics

MyAnaconda - Maths, Latin, French, Geography

DarthCazura - Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, History

MBlaise - Chemistry, Biology, English Lit., Art History

Mahony98 - History, Georgraphy, Economics, Maths

nataliaan - French, Spanish, Chemistry, Art History

Sarahorr1_ - Maths, Further Maths, Economics, Physics

Ale44 - Economics, Maths, Geography, History

Sarah78615 -Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Physics

Ailwidis - Art History, ?

antoniak9922 - French, History, Spanish, English Lit.

pictogram - Economics, Maths, Spanish, English Lit.

Sbill_ - Economics, Maths, Chemistry, Biology

Currer Bell - Maths, Further Maths, English Lit., History

uijeoji - Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry

DKuran - ?

yasas99 - Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Economics

anna02837 - Maths, Physics, Latin, History

purple unicorn - Maths, Chemistry, Biology, Chinese

loseinhibition - Chemistry, Biology, History, R.S.

DarkAvenger - Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, History

mellowahh - History, Economics, Maths, English Lit.

@honeybooboo - Biology, Chemistry, Maths, Geography

zeugma3 - Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths

Saz99 - Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry

KEY
[Pink]
= offer
[Yellow] = waiting list
[Turquoise] = interview
[Black] = no interview/unknown
Original post by Rukia
Heya~dunno if any of u goes there~

I am a girl so i guess I wont stand a better chance of getting in (?)

My current grades are 6 A*s(triple science, mandarin, RE, Maths), 3 As (Geography, music, english lit), 3Bs (history, French and English lang). I have also got Cambridge certificates in Latin. I am in year10 at the moment. I don't know what my predicted grades are yet ^^

Do I hav any posibility of getting into Westminster ?

I plan to do French, further Maths (I hav done GCSE maths already nd I am doing AS maths now - the GCSE exam is scheduled for the end of yr 10 (this year) and the AS one is scheduled for the end of yr 11), the three sciences, critical thinking for VIth form

Thnx everybody~:smile:

......... you're just looking for compliments right?
Please let us know your experience at Westminster
Hi eh, I am a rookie and I am currently in a dreadful situation.
It seems that most people complain about the difficulties of the entry exams? Even now, is the entry exam really hard? Compare to a normal GCSE, Foundation Higher Tier, which one would be harder? Do you not need a CV (cos my teacher told me I do for good Sixth Forms) for you application? Also, in the interview, will the teachers judge you based on your English Grammar and accent as well?
I am just curious, if I have long time haven't learn Maths GCSE, would it be effective for the entry exam, if so do I need to go over the GCSE Maths again in Summer?
Really URGENT, SOS!!!
Original post by ZetaKiro
Hi eh, I am a rookie and I am currently in a dreadful situation.
It seems that most people complain about the difficulties of the entry exams? Even now, is the entry exam really hard? Compare to a normal GCSE, Foundation Higher Tier, which one would be harder? Do you not need a CV (cos my teacher told me I do for good Sixth Forms) for you application? Also, in the interview, will the teachers judge you based on your English Grammar and accent as well?
I am just curious, if I have long time haven't learn Maths GCSE, would it be effective for the entry exam, if so do I need to go over the GCSE Maths again in Summer?
Really URGENT, SOS!!!

It really depends. What subjects do you want to do?

You don't need a CV - you'll have 15 minutes to write a personal statement, but in reality that's just answering some simple questions. I applied to some other sixth forms, ones I would consider to be 'good', and none asked for a CV.

Accent doesn't matter at all, it makes no difference to who you are as a person. But about grammar, obviously if you can't get the message across well enough for the other person to understand, then it matters. But if it's just a few slip-ups, I can't imagine that it would count against you too much. Having said that, if you're considering humanity subjects, like English or History which are essay and discussion based, it might be a problem (again this depends on how bad the grammar etc actually is).
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by MeiMei15401
It really depends. What subjects do you want to do?

You don't need a CV - you'll have 15 minutes to write a personal statement, but in reality that's just answering some simple questions. I applied to some other sixth forms, ones I would consider to be 'good', and none asked for a CV.

Accent doesn't matter at all, it makes no difference to who you are as a person. But about grammar, obviously if you can't get the message across well enough for the other person to understand, then it matters. But if it's just a few slip-ups, I can't imagine that it would count against you too much. Having said that, if you're considering humanity subjects, like English or History which are essay and discussion based, it might be a problem (again this depends on how bad the grammar etc actually is).

Thanx a lot. I am considering taking Maths Chemistry and Physics, but I haven't decided yet, because I am currently in year 10, and I will have my AS Maths results now. So I really don't know, sould I take it again or should I just go continue and finish it by my own.
For the fourth option, I really don't know cos I heard others said that it is better for me to choose a "variety and balanced" option. I was considering French or Media, which I both got A* so far, but the French teacher told me that A-Level french is really boring, so if I do not want to do anything with it in the future, then it is nonsense for me to go for it and waste my option. Media, I did well but I did not quite enjoy it as I feel myself being limitted. Thus, I have to consider something else. Since I am already a Chinese, I don't think I should take Mandarin (as I don't know why but I feel like I am cheating). Any suggestion? XD
Thanx a lot. I am considering taking Maths Chemistry and Physics, but I haven't decided yet, because I am currently in year 10, and I will have my AS Maths results now. So I really don't know, sould I take it again or should I just go continue and finish it by my own.
For the fourth option, I really don't know cos I heard others said that it is better for me to choose a "variety and balanced" option. I was considering French or Media, which I both got A* so far, but the French teacher told me that A-Level french is really boring, so if I do not want to do anything with it in the future, then it is nonsense for me to go for it and waste my option. Media, I did well but I did not quite enjoy it as I feel myself being limitted. Thus, I have to consider something else. Since I am already a Chinese, I don't think I should take Mandarin (as I don't know why but I feel like I am cheating). Any suggestion? XD

I did the maths exam, but not the chem or physics. My only advice would be to go over the basics - they don't expect any knowledge above GCSE, and from what I've heard a lot of peole get caught out because they didn't revise the core stuff.

With regards to the maths, I think that you should talk to a teacher, at your school or at Westminster. It's not unusual to have done AS maths, but it would be a bit pointless and a waste of the opportunities at a school like Westminster to redo a course. But if you like maths and want to do a career related to it, it wouldn't make sense to drop it now.

For your fourth subject, I would take a humanity or language, especially if you don't know what you want to do in the future. It's best to keep your options open, and so far your choices are all science based (but if you know what you want to do, by all means pick the subjects suited for that career). Westminster doesn't offer Media, but it does French, which is Pre-U. Pre-U French is quite literature based, and you'll have to write essays etc, so don't do it if you don't think you'll enjoy it or aren't dedicated. Might I add, as a side, that it is worrying that your French teacher told you Alevel French is boring, but that's irrelavent.

About Mandarin, I know you are Chinese, but do you actually speak it? If you do, then don't take it, you can go to an accelerated class or something for native speakers. If you don't, then you're not cheating. Mandarin is an especially good language to learn though, since China is becoming a very dominant country. But it doesn't make much difference if you do French, or Spanish, or Russian, or any language, it's still worth it.

To be honest, my best advice would be to read through the Sixth Form courses booklet, and see what you like the sound of. Then do a bit of research, see what it would be like to actually study the subject, and where it could lead to. Talk to friends and family who know you as a person, and what you would be best suited to.

Phew, that turned into a bit of an essay, but it is the holidays!
I did the maths exam, but not the chem or physics. My only advice would be to go over the basics - they don't expect any knowledge above GCSE, and from what I've heard a lot of peole get caught out because they didn't revise the core stuff.

With regards to the maths, I think that you should talk to a teacher, at your school or at Westminster. It's not unusual to have done AS maths, but it would be a bit pointless and a waste of the opportunities at a school like Westminster to redo a course. But if you like maths and want to do a career related to it, it wouldn't make sense to drop it now.

For your fourth subject, I would take a humanity or language, especially if you don't know what you want to do in the future. It's best to keep your options open, and so far your choices are all science based (but if you know what you want to do, by all means pick the subjects suited for that career). Westminster doesn't offer Media, but it does French, which is Pre-U. Pre-U French is quite literature based, and you'll have to write essays etc, so don't do it if you don't think you'll enjoy it or aren't dedicated. Might I add, as a side, that it is worrying that your French teacher told you Alevel French is boring, but that's irrelavent.

About Mandarin, I know you are Chinese, but do you actually speak it? If you do, then don't take it, you can go to an accelerated class or something for native speakers. If you don't, then you're not cheating. Mandarin is an especially good language to learn though, since China is becoming a very dominant country. But it doesn't make much difference if you do French, or Spanish, or Russian, or any language, it's still worth it.

To be honest, my best advice would be to read through the Sixth Form courses booklet, and see what you like the sound of. Then do a bit of research, see what it would be like to actually study the subject, and where it could lead to. Talk to friends and family who know you as a person, and what you would be best suited to.

Phew, that turned into a bit of an essay, but it is the holidays!

XD, thanx a lot. But if I choose something like "electronics" which sounds quite interested for me, but I have no idea what the exam would be. So what should I do for the entry exam? Or should I have a discuss with the teachers there in the open days? I am taking GCSE geography, doing alright, pushing to an A*; but to tell the truth I was not that enjoying it.
BTW, yes I can speak and write Mandarin fluently since I lived in China for 13 years, also, you said that the French A level will ask you to write essays? What kind of essays? Like English literature (PEEs)? If it is like that then I think I am died...QAQ:frown:
XD, thanx a lot. But if I choose something like "electronics" which sounds quite interested for me, but I have no idea what the exam would be. So what should I do for the entry exam? Or should I have a discuss with the teachers there in the open days? I am taking GCSE geography, doing alright, pushing to an A*; but to tell the truth I was not that enjoying it.
BTW, yes I can speak and write Mandarin fluently since I lived in China for 13 years, also, you said that the French A level will ask you to write essays? What kind of essays? Like English literature (PEEs)? If it is like that then I think I am died...QAQ:frown:

Electronics can only be taken as a fifth option, up to AS. As far as I'm aware there's no exam for it.

Yes, definitely come to an open day, and discuss your options with all of the teachers of subjects you're considering.

If you're fluent in Mandarin, there's no point in you taking lessons with non-natives. I'm not entirely sure the exact requirements of French Pre-U, but if you talk to the teachers on an open day, they'll be able to tell you. But it's not going to be like English lit, since you're not a native. But I'd imagine it's quite a big step up from GCSE.
Can not believe I have been offered a boarding place after such a long wait. what a relief.
Original post by yasas99
Can not believe I have been offered a boarding place after such a long wait. what a relief.

Wow have you just been offered a place? Congrats!
Original post by yasas99

Oh wow, well done!
I'll change your colour on the list :smile:
TSR Applicants for Westminster 2015 Entry

pennysj - Maths, Biology, Chemistry, ?

Midori222 - Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Latin, Electronics

aprlxo - English Lit., Music, Maths, Physics

Sophie-o - Art History, ?

pilot_888 - Maths, Further Maths, Biology, Chemistry

big-dreamer - Maths, Economics, History, French

yasi98 - Chemistry, Biology, Maths, R.S.

MeiMei15401 - Maths, Further Maths, English Lit., Economics

Jasinfinities - Maths, Economics, Spanish, History

ephemeral09 - Chemistry, Biology, French, English Lit.

ohkelech - Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, Physics, Electronics

MyAnaconda - Maths, Latin, French, Geography

DarthCazura - Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, History

MBlaise - Chemistry, Biology, English Lit., Art History

Mahony98 - History, Georgraphy, Economics, Maths

nataliaan - French, Spanish, Chemistry, Art History

Sarahorr1_ - Maths, Further Maths, Economics, Physics

Ale44 - Economics, Maths, Geography, History

Sarah78615 -Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Physics

Ailwidis - Art History, ?

antoniak9922 - French, History, Spanish, English Lit.

pictogram - Economics, Maths, Spanish, English Lit.

Sbill_ - Economics, Maths, Chemistry, Biology

Currer Bell - Maths, Further Maths, English Lit., History

uijeoji - Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry

DKuran - ?

yasas99 - Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Economics

anna02837 - Maths, Physics, Latin, History

purple unicorn - Maths, Chemistry, Biology, Chinese

loseinhibition - Chemistry, Biology, History, R.S.

DarkAvenger - Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, History

mellowahh - History, Economics, Maths, English Lit.

@honeybooboo - Biology, Chemistry, Maths, Geography

zeugma3 - Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths

Saz99 - Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry

KEY
[Pink] = offer
[Yellow] = waiting list
[Turquoise] = interview
[Black] = no interview/unknown
(edited 8 years ago)
thank you both for the kind replies! Any of the girls having been offered a boarding place at grants house? I noticed on the website that the Grants is the boy only boarding house.
Original post by yasas99
thank you both for the kind replies! Any of the girls having been offered a boarding place at grants house? I noticed on the website that the Grants is the boy only boarding house.

I'm personally not boarding, but I know a girl who's going to be in Grant's. They decided to take in girl boarders as well this year :smile:
Hi everyone,
Firstly congratulations to all that got in. I wish you the best of luck
I'll be applying for the 2016 entry (Currently year 10)
Registration begins tomorrow O____O . But i'll wait a while to make a definitive decision
Visiting the open day next week! Looking forward to that.
Just wanted to ask... Do you have any heads up advice? In terms of preparation. Or how I can maximise my chances?
And how would you rate the difficulty of the entrance exams in comparison to their corresponding GCSE courses?
Thanks.
And once again GOOD LUCK and CONGRATULATIONS
Original post by ChocolateCosmos
Hi everyone,
Firstly congratulations to all that got in. I wish you the best of luck
I'll be applying for the 2016 entry (Currently year 10)
Registration begins tomorrow O____O . But i'll wait a while to make a definitive decision
Visiting the open day next week! Looking forward to that.
Just wanted to ask... Do you have any heads up advice? In terms of preparation. Or how I can maximise my chances?
And how would you rate the difficulty of the entrance exams in comparison to their corresponding GCSE courses?
Thanks.
And once again GOOD LUCK and CONGRATULATIONS

Hi,
It really depends on your subjects... what are you planning to take?
Have fun at the open day, when I went it was really busy and crowded, but it's still definitely worth it.
Hi,
It really depends on your subjects... what are you planning to take?
Have fun at the open day, when I went it was really busy and crowded, but it's still definitely worth it.

Oh nice. Did you tour the Science centre and everything?

Relatively Vague
History (For sure)
English Lit.
Maths
Economics/physics

Relatively Vague
History (For sure)
English Lit.
Maths
Economics/physics

Yeah I think so, though I can't remember very well :tongue: It was pretty bog standard, but apparently there's an electron microscope so I guess there's a lot of facilities you don't see on the tours.

For English lit, I would recommend just doing lots of practise - it's quite different from GCSE in the sense that you just get given an extract and an essay question, without anything else. Mainly I would say it's important to work on speed.

Maths I can only describe as a GCSE paper with all the easy questions taken out - it's not that bad. Again speed is key here, even more so than English. I think it's quite rare for people to finish all of the questions.

Economics is literally a very, very easy version of the Thinking Skills Assessment. No economics knowledge necessary, it was by far the easiest exam for me.

I didn't take physics, but my sister took History and I think it's some source questions and an essay - but they purposefully set it on something no one will have studied, like my sister's year it was on modern Egyption history I think.

Relatively Vague
History (For sure)
English Lit.
Maths
Economics/physics

I took the physics exam last year, and I'd say it's very important to finish the GCSE curriculum before you take the exam. The questions won't be as straightforward as in a GCSE paper, and they may introduce new concepts which you have to use previous knowledge to understand. If you know the curriculum well, then you should be fine. I would also recommend learning all the formulae as I found the formula sheet irrelevant to the questions!

Another piece of advice is to not panick if you find the papers very difficult, as they're meant to be challenging and most people won't finish them. For example, I heard from someone in the school that the best candidates for Physics only got about 30/60, so don't expect it to be like a GCSE paper.

Latest

Trending

Trending