The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Applying for a day place here as well! By the way to anyone who is applying, i know the deadline is in a few days but has everyone submitted their recent school report? And is it necessary?
Original post by Meowth234
: ) Boarding or day? o.O

Day :smile: Doesn't make a difference either way. Not going if I get in anyway :biggrin:

Original post by mosaichearts
Applying for a day place here as well! By the way to anyone who is applying, i know the deadline is in a few days but has everyone submitted their recent school report? And is it necessary?

Yes, it is necessary for the application to be COMPLETE. My report was not up to scratch as it usually is (divine retribution -_-). So don't worry.

Now get going :smile: Complete it and submit it ASAP. Don't leave it to the last day! Good luck
Original post by ChocolateCosmos
Day :smile: Doesn't make a difference either way. Not going if I get in anyway :biggrin:

Seriously?! St pauls over westminster or staying at your current school?

Original post by _poppyfields
cool! did you go to the open day?

Unfortunately, I couldn't make it both times and there isn't much point in going any other times when it's mostly focused on 11+ tours...so short answer: no.
Hey guys, bit of a trivial question but what are you going to wear for the exams/interviews? I'm just worried that I'll come superbly overdressed or underdressed :o: :confused:
Original post by GlassyMarbles
Hey guys, bit of a trivial question but what are you going to wear for the exams/interviews? I'm just worried that I'll come superbly overdressed or underdressed :o: :confused:

I think smart casual should be fine if you're worried :smile: but if you're really unsure, just turn up wearing school uniform
Seriously?! St pauls over westminster or staying at your current school?

Staying at current school most likely.
Sadly :/
These price tags. Lord
Hey anyone applying to KCS, I just started in the sixth form there so feel free to ask me any questions! :smile:
Original post by GlassyMarbles

Hey, I took the entrance exam last year and I'd reccomend dressing up in something warm and comfortable. There were a lot of people there last year (a few hundred at least) so nobody was really paying attention to your outfit so long as it wasn't something that really stood out. Keep in mind that you'll be there for around half a day! What you wear is a lot more important for the interviews where you come into direct contact with members of staff. Hope this helps :smile:
Hey all, has anyone received their examination timetable yet?
Original post by dépaysant
Hey all, has anyone received their examination timetable yet?

We get ours in March/April. But we know what date the last exam is
Hi! I'm thinking about sitting the entrance exams this november but realised the schedule for the day includes 'personal statement' writing time for 15 minutes. They say they will 'provide questions and headings to help candidates' write it, but does this mean you could just prepare something beforehand and memorise it? Or do they ask really odd questions? PLEASE HELP :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by jmaomao
Hi! I'm planning on sitting the entrance exams this november but realised the schedule for the day includes 'personal statement' writing time for 15 minutes. They say they will 'provide questions and headings to help candidates' write it, but does this mean you could just prepare something beforehand and memorise it? Or do they ask really odd questions? PLEASE HELP :smile:

Breathe :biggrin:

Write what you can on the day. They want to see who you really are, not a pre-prepared torrent of pretentious statements. :biggrin: You can obviously get all your extra curricular and stuff together and, through introspect, think about who you really are and what you can do. There's nothing stopping you preparing basic things before hand. But if you really want to test yourself and want them to accept you for who you are. Do it on the spot

I highly doubt they will be odd questions, i'm betting on basic questions such as our aspirations, grades (predicted or achieved), extra curricular, why you want to come to the school, what you can offer the school, what the school can offer you.

Bog-standard stuff. But I think a former pupil could answer it better. But that's my calculated assumption.
Original post by iwishicouldfly14
We get ours in March/April. But we know what date the last exam is

Oh I meant the Westminster entrance exam timetable aha, I put together my own GCSE timetable two weeks ago.
Hi,

I'm also applying to Westminster College for September 2016.
Mathematics with Further Maths
Physics
Economics
Electronics at AS level

I wanted to know what to expect from these subjects and what I must cover/learn to pass in the examination subjects.

Currently, I am working at a mid-A* in Maths; will there be any A-Level questions in the entrance exam, or things beyond what I cover in school which is Edexcel GCSE Maths?

Likewise for Physics. I haven't done a Business Course so I'm not sure what to expect in the Economics assessment. Any suggestions?
Original post by Afro Tail
Hi,

I'm also applying to Westminster College for September 2016.
Mathematics with Further Maths
Physics
Economics
Electronics at AS level

I wanted to know what to expect from these subjects and what I must cover/learn to pass in the examination subjects.

Currently, I am working at a mid-A* in Maths; will there be any A-Level questions in the entrance exam, or things beyond what I cover in school which is Edexcel GCSE Maths?

Likewise for Physics. I haven't done a Business Course so I'm not sure what to expect in the Economics assessment. Any suggestions?

Westminster College or School? O_O

Anyway
There won't be any A-level questions in the entrance exam. It should all be core mathematics as part of a GCSE EXAM. And possibly not even the whole syllabus as most of the country takes the exam at the END of year 11. So don't worry too much, but they may be SOME challenging questions you may come across, but not really any surprises. It may also be problem solving in the style of the UKMT maths challenge, but a former pupil may better inform you. For the Further maths exam, an email I received recently said that there is no additional exam.

For Physics I think it is general physics knowledge and deriving from equations in general. They will try to do the basics which all exam boards cover in order not to disadvantage some pupils and prop up others.

And for Economics, they don't expect anyone to have learnt any prior to the exam. Hence similar to a TSA (thinking skills assessment), they will test HOW YOU THINK (Aptitude) rather than WHAT YOU KNOW (Knowledge)
It won't be entirely topical, but it may be useful to know the basic/underlying concept of Economics. The very basic

As for Electronics. I'm not sure, but I reckon there isn't actually an exam for it.

:biggrin: Good luck with everything. This is as far as my knowledge goes. Someone else may disprove me or give a better answer.

Thanks
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by dépaysant
Oh I meant the Westminster entrance exam timetable aha, I put together my own GCSE timetable two weeks ago.

Haha, sorry :smile:
Original post by ChocolateCosmos
Staying at current school most likely.
Sadly :/
These price tags. Lord

Bursary? - or did they reject your application? Though if you do get in and present your scenario I'm sure they'll be willing to look into it as they don't want to miss such a great candidate...

Original post by jmaomao
Hi! I'm thinking about sitting the entrance exams this november but realised the schedule for the day includes 'personal statement' writing time for 15 minutes. They say they will 'provide questions and headings to help candidates' write it, but does this mean you could just prepare something beforehand and memorise it? Or do they ask really odd questions? PLEASE HELP :smile:

If one of the questions you have anticipated, and you have memorised, I feel you might go on autopilot... I don't know - being able to put together an eloquently well-written, detailed statement might seem a bit too 'perfect' and odd if that makes sense? Or maybe it's just my incapability of writing under timed conditions v.v
Bursary? - or did they reject your application? Though if you do get in and present your scenario I'm sure they'll be willing to look into it as they don't want to miss such a great candidate...

v.v

Application rejected :/ I find that unlikely as I don't class myself to be an EXCEPTIONAL student. But I sure as hell will give them a message.

Thanks. Gave me a spark of hope.
Hey, I'm applying too for entrance in Sep 2016, and I was just wondering if anyone on here could give me any information on what sort of standard and style of question they might give for:

Maths
English Literature
Biology
Chemistry

I feel like I should be revising even though they specifically say it's not something you need to revise for, and I really hate not knowing what to expect, so any help at all would be massively appreciated :smile:
Original post by Saz99
Yeah I took all three.

For chemistry just go over the whole gcse syllabus, and make sure you read the paper because we only had to do two of the three sections in the exam. In my interview I was mainly asked basic questions about bonding, but yours may be different.

The maths test was non-calculator and was mostly algebra. Most people were short on time though so try and be quick. In the interview they just had a series of problems which got harder and harder and were just testing how far you could progress.

I found physics the hardest out of all my exams. You don't need much prior knowledge but you need to make sure that you are good at using equations. My interview was half spent going over my test and half spent talking about my interest in physics.

Hope that helps, good luck.

I wonder taking exactly the same subjects this year, I wonder if the Maths questions were more like the UKMT Challenge ones. I am predicted A* for all three subjects in GCSE, and I achieved 2 Gold Medals and best in school in UKMT in previous years, do I stand I good chance getting the interview? I am only applying for Westminster. Are there any preparation I can do before the entrance examinations?

Latest

Trending

Trending