The Student Room Group

What should I do with bad AS result

I got C in psychology C in biology and a D in chemistry for AS levels :frown: I'd be really appreciative for people's opinions on what to do such as resitting some exams or retaking year 12
In biology I got unit 1 c unit 2 c and practical d
In chemistry I got unit 1 c unit 2 e!! And practical b
In psychology I got unit 1 b unit 2 c
Original post by Lucylvo
I got C in psychology C in biology and a D in chemistry for AS levels :frown: I'd be really appreciative for people's opinions on what to do such as resitting some exams or retaking year 12
In biology I got unit 1 c unit 2 c and practical d
In chemistry I got unit 1 c unit 2 e!! And practical b
In psychology I got unit 1 b unit 2 c

I've moved this to an appropriate forum where hopefully you'll get more responses :smile:

First of all, I don't think your results are bad at all! If you want to do a resit, then I would mainly consider retaking unit 2 of chemistry where you can improve the most. I certainly don't think you need to retake the whole year. Hopefully one of our results advisers will be able to help you :h:
Reply 2
Original post by rosiebhagat
I was in the same position as you last year but now I'm sitting here with a place in a great university doing the course I always planned to do.

I got BDD in AS and was devastated
B in Business Unit 1 B Unit 2 A
D in History Unit 1 E Unit 2 B
D in Psychology Unit 1 D Unit D

I wanted to retake the year but my teachers were adamant that I shouldn't so I carried on and retook my B, E and D and hauled ass throughout A2. There's a massive jump from AS to A2 and you need to take this into consideration when doing a lot of resits. I applied to university with ABC predictions and got offers from the University of Birmingham AAB, University of Sheffield AAB, University of Liverpool ABB and Aston University ABB for International Business and Management

After a s*** ton of hard work I got an ABB and got into my firm choice at Aston University. I went from a B to an A, E to an A and D to a B.

Moral of the story - I didnt think I would get into university but with hard work and perseverance I beat my predicted grades and got into university with no problem.

This is incredible and motivational for me too. I was gutted and shocked when i recieved my AS results 2 days ago. I got worse than you and got CDE. Would the same advice apply to me or should i retake the year? It's worth mentioning that my C in History is just 3 marks away from a B. And the E in economics is also 3 marks away from a D So i was thinking of a remark for both.
Also, I'm also going to do General studies a level as an extra so would this alongside my A2 and one resit be to heavy? Ofcourse it would be hard for you to answer but I was just wandering generally as everyone i talked to said GS workload is not demanding at all.
Would appreciate any help :frown: Really gutted
Ask for your papers to be remarked , if its close to the next grade. If they dont go up , you either need to no -life next year and do very well , or resit your as level exams.
Reply 4
Original post by alexp98
This is incredible and motivational for me too. I was gutted and shocked when i recieved my AS results 2 days ago. I got worse than you and got CDE. Would the same advice apply to me or should i retake the year? It's worth mentioning that my C in History is just 3 marks away from a B. And the E in economics is also 3 marks away from a D So i was thinking of a remark for both.
Also, I'm also going to do General studies a level as an extra so would this alongside my A2 and one resit be to heavy? Ofcourse it would be hard for you to answer but I was just wandering generally as everyone i talked to said GS workload is not demanding at all.
Would appreciate any help :frown: Really gutted

Thank you!

In my opinion, you should think of your predicted grades that teachers will set for you to apply to university. At most they will predict you a BCD and you need to think of which universities will give you an offer with those grades. I wouldn't rely on remarks to bring grades up, my business unit 1 exam was 1 mark away from an A and my grade stayed the same.

In your position, I would start afresh and re-do the year. I think the jump from AS to A2 is harder than the jump from GCSE to AS in terms of content, workload and stress of university so take that into consideration also. But take a couple of weeks to seriously think about what you want to do. Sorry I couldn't be more help.
Original post by rosiebhagat
I was in the same position as you last year but now I'm sitting here with a place in a great university doing the course I always planned to do.

I got BDD in AS and was devastated
B in Business Unit 1 B Unit 2 A
D in History Unit 1 E Unit 2 B
D in Psychology Unit 1 D Unit D

I wanted to retake the year but my teachers were adamant that I shouldn't so I carried on and retook my B, E and D and hauled ass throughout A2. There's a massive jump from AS to A2 and you need to take this into consideration when doing a lot of resits. I applied to university with ABC predictions and got offers from the University of Birmingham AAB, University of Sheffield AAB, University of Liverpool ABB and Aston University ABB for International Business and Management

After a s*** ton of hard work I got an ABB and got into my firm choice at Aston University. I went from a B to an A, E to an A and D to a B.

Moral of the story - I didnt think I would get into university but with hard work and perseverance I beat my predicted grades and got into university with no problem.

how hard did you work?

just wondering since ive always wondered how hard people work when they go up like that :smile:
Reply 6
thank you all! congratulations on you're results for A2! wel done for all the hard work, persistance and determination! xx i'm so glad that you're now where you want to be! x
Reply 7
Original post by scrawlx101
how hard did you work?

just wondering since ive always wondered how hard people work when they go up like that :smile:

I started revising for all my subjects as the work came in and wrote revision cards. I revised hard for my resits earlier in the year and topped up my revision nearer the exams. I wrote about 10000 practice essays, I think my teachers hated me by the end of the year :colondollar:
I used to get tired of working after school so I would commit to 40 minutes per subject and chill and finish my homework as they were set. But the weekend I did most of my revision from 9-4 and left myself the rest of the day to chill/go out/be with friends. As the exams grew nearer I started much later like 4pm and used to work through the night because I needed a major lie-in. I could've done way more but I learned to make the most of my time.

Hope you can gain some kind of idea of what I did!
Hi guys,

Im in year 12, i got my AS results last week and they weren't good at all.. ECUU and I wasn't predicted that at all. I really want to study Optometry at uni, but looking at these grades i dont even think im going to get any uni offers. I got an E in Bio, C in Geog, and Us in Maths and Chem. Have any of you been in this similiar situation?

Im going to be dropping chem and retaking maths c1,c2 and bio AS, as well as doing A2 geog maths and bio. I really hope i can get my grades up cause i need AAA/AAB. I dont know if i can do it though. Is it possible to go up to As and Bs with the AS grades i got? Should i just give up on the idea of doing Optom or carry on and work hard to get my grades up. I've wanted to do it for quite a few years now.
Original post by ria_shah97
Hi guys,

Im in year 12, i got my AS results last week and they weren't good at all.. ECUU and I wasn't predicted that at all. I really want to study Optometry at uni, but looking at these grades i dont even think im going to get any uni offers. I got an E in Bio, C in Geog, and Us in Maths and Chem. Have any of you been in this similiar situation?

Im going to be dropping chem and retaking maths c1,c2 and bio AS, as well as doing A2 geog maths and bio. I really hope i can get my grades up cause i need AAA/AAB. I dont know if i can do it though. Is it possible to go up to As and Bs with the AS grades i got? Should i just give up on the idea of doing Optom or carry on and work hard to get my grades up. I've wanted to do it for quite a few years now.

how do you feel about taking a gap year and applying with grades you already have?
what do you want to study?
Original post by claireestelle
how do you feel about taking a gap year and applying with grades you already have?

I wouldnt mind taking a gap year if i really have too. I really want to do optometry, but its just my AS grades that are letting me down at the moment. I still need to write my personal statement, and hopefully i can make that really good.

I have also done work experience at two different placements so surely unis will look at that?

The only issue I have with taking a gap year, is that they are changing Alevels to linear from this September, so im not sure if that will affect me retaking any modules if needs be, come next year.

Another way to go about going to uni next year would be to go through clearing no?
Original post by mishmoshmogo
what do you want to study?

Optometry
I wouldnt mind taking a gap year if i really have too. I really want to do optometry, but its just my AS grades that are letting me down at the moment. I still need to write my personal statement, and hopefully i can make that really good.

I have also done work experience at two different placements so surely unis will look at that?

The only issue I have with taking a gap year, is that they are changing Alevels to linear from this September, so im not sure if that will affect me retaking any modules if needs be, come next year.

Another way to go about going to uni next year would be to go through clearing no?

You could go through clearing once you ve had your grades through:smile: there's no reason not to give applying this year ago and then worst case scenario you can take a gap year if needs be.
You could go through clearing once you ve had your grades through:smile: there's no reason not to give applying this year ago and then worst case scenario you can take a gap year if needs be.

I just hope I can get my grades up this year.. I know it going to be touch but if other people can do it, then so can I! I need to go up to As and Bs so hopefully this is going to be possible.

Do you still think I should stick to Optometry and carry on writing my personal statement for it? My application needs to be in by October so not long left to choose what else to do. I have been trying to find a Plan B/back up but there really isnt anything I want to do more aha.
I just hope I can get my grades up this year.. I know it going to be touch but if other people can do it, then so can I! I need to go up to As and Bs so hopefully this is going to be possible.

Do you still think I should stick to Optometry and carry on writing my personal statement for it? My application needs to be in by October so not long left to choose what else to do. I have been trying to find a Plan B/back up but there really isnt anything I want to do more aha.

If that's what you really want to do then it's at least worth trying :smile:
If that's what you really want to do then it's at least worth trying :smile:

Thank you so much for your help, i really appreciate it. This past week has been horrendous for me and I havent had a clue about what do to. I was predicted Bs/Cs and Ds, not the grades that I got aha :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending