The Student Room Group

need advice on what to do? medicine

ok, so I have a few questions:

1) I really want to study medicine, but I got 3 A* 3A 4Bs at gcse and A A B B at as level. I haven't done A2 yet. do you think I have a chance of getting into medicine?

2) At as level I got bio- A chem- B maths- B and psychology- A. I was thinking about dropping maths next year because im more likely to get an A in psychology, even though maths will look better on a medicine application. We have to drop one subject next year and I know I need biology and chemistry for medicine and had a choice between maths and psychology. what do you think i should do?

3) I cant find any volunteer work in care homes or hospitals because of age restrictions and health and safety. i have volunteered in a couple fundraisers and thats about it. what should I do?

4) I have work experience in a pharmacy, I worked a year in a builders merchant as part time work. I have work experience as student receptionist. so if I find work experience in a GP surgery, would that be enough work experience.

5) could I talk about how i look after my grandparents in my personal statement to show qualities such as caring and patience and if I should how could I write about it?

sorry about all the questions. im just a little stressed about the whole application process for medicine. Thank you soo much. I really appreciate any advice given.
Original post by Lovespark
ok, so I have a few questions:

1) I really want to study medicine, but I got 3 A* 3A 4Bs at gcse and A A B B at as level. I haven't done A2 yet. do you think I have a chance of getting into medicine?

2) At as level I got bio- A chem- B maths- B and psychology- A. I was thinking about dropping maths next year because im more likely to get an A in psychology, even though maths will look better on a medicine application. We have to drop one subject next year and I know I need biology and chemistry for medicine and had a choice between maths and psychology. what do you think i should do?

3) I cant find any volunteer work in care homes or hospitals because of age restrictions and health and safety. i have volunteered in a couple fundraisers and thats about it. what should I do?

4) I have work experience in a pharmacy, I worked a year in a builders merchant as part time work. I have work experience as student receptionist. so if I find work experience in a GP surgery, would that be enough work experience.

5) could I talk about how i look after my grandparents in my personal statement to show qualities such as caring and patience and if I should how could I write about it?

sorry about all the questions. im just a little stressed about the whole application process for medicine. Thank you soo much. I really appreciate any advice given.

Maths doesn't look better than psychology. Keep the one you enjoy and are most likely to get an A in at A2.

Volunteering and work experience are more about quality than quantity. As long as you can reflect on what a Doctor's role is, why you want to be a doctor and what skills you have then you'll be fine. Talking about caring for your grandparents is a good idea, but reflect on why its made you want to do medicine/given you the skills for medicine.

Quick Reply

Latest