The Student Room Group

Disappointing AS results, is LSE gone

Hello,

I recently got my AS results back and they've made me much more nervous about applying to LSE.

At GCSE I got 6A 4B and a C with English and Maths both being at an A.
At AS I got two As in Maths and Econ, a C in history (that was a few marks away from being a B so I will remark but probably resit either way). Also a D in Biology which I have dropped.
I have work experience from Rolls Royce and a London Hedge Fund so I'm Hopeful my grades will be looked on favourably.
I am predicted an A* in Maths and Econ but only a B in History.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Scroll to see replies

I'm not actually sure about what you're applying for at LSE, but anyway, their courses are usually AAA/A*AA. If you could try to get your predictions up to A*A*A, there would be a really good chance at getting a conditional, but even with A*A*B there's a chance you would get a conditional, but be asked to get A*A*A or A*AA as per their standard offer. Cambridge University often does that, as I hear, aka even if you're predicted slightly worse grades than their standard offer, they MAY just accept you but still ask you to achieve their standard offer.

Your GCSEs are pretty average for LSE, but work experience really does count well, especially if you're applying for Law or Econs, so do mention that prominently (plus what you've learnt from it)! Good luck and definitely do apply!
Reply 2
Original post by Jayd Shah
I'm not actually sure about what you're applying for at LSE, but anyway, their courses are usually AAA/A*AA. If you could try to get your predictions up to A*A*A, there would be a really good chance at getting a conditional, but even with A*A*B there's a chance you would get a conditional, but be asked to get A*A*A or A*AA as per their standard offer. Cambridge University often does that, as I hear, aka even if you're predicted slightly worse grades than their standard offer, they MAY just accept you but still ask you to achieve their standard offer.

Your GCSEs are pretty average for LSE, but work experience really does count well, especially if you're applying for Law or Econs, so do mention that prominently (plus what you've learnt from it)! Good luck and definitely do apply!

I'm applying for Economics so I'll be sure to mention it. Someone else suggested that I take further maths AS this year to bolster my offer so it's likely I'll do that. Thank you for your advice I appreciate it a lot!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
maybe apply for deferred entry and take a gap year?
Reply 4
LSE is not the only good university
Original post by AdamThomass
Hello,

I recently got my AS results back and they've made me much more nervous about applying to LSE.

At AS I got two As in Maths and Econ, a C in history (that was a few marks away from being a B so I will remark but probably resit either way). Also a D in Biology which I have dropped.
I have work experience from Rolls Royce and a London Hedge Fund so I'm Hopeful my grades will be looked on favourably.

Not the strongest application, I'll be honest and say work experience won't make up for grades- if the typical offer is AAA or higher LSE might look at that B prediction and instantly reject you- A*A*B is not the same because you haven't met the A standard in all 3 subjects. You could make it your high risk choice, just don't pin all your hopes on it and then have 4 more sensible choices or you could try and find another sensible choice you like.
Reply 6
Hello,

UPDATE: I have had conversations with my teacher in history and my prediction has been bumped up to an A. I've also taken on many more things like the MIT online course that make my personal statement the best it can be. I can only hope at this point
Reply 7
Original post by jelly1000
Not the strongest application, I'll be honest and say work experience won't make up for grades- if the typical offer is AAA or higher LSE might look at that B prediction and instantly reject you- A*A*B is not the same because you haven't met the A standard in all 3 subjects. You could make it your high risk choice, just don't pin all your hopes on it and then have 4 more sensible choices or you could try and find another sensible choice you like.
What kind of an impact does my update have in your opinion? Thank you for answering also.
Reply 8
Hi, I was just wondering whether you got into LSE after all? I'm in a similar position to you this year so I just wanted to know where else you applied and whether those were successful? Also looking back at your application what advice would you give to someone with similar stats to yours?
Original post by TAgirl
Hi, I was just wondering whether you got into LSE after all? I'm in a similar position to you this year so I just wanted to know where else you applied and whether those were successful? Also looking back at your application what advice would you give to someone with similar stats to yours?

The person you're replying to hasn't been on TSR since December 2015 (and their last post is the one in this thread).

I'm afraid you're unlikely to get an answer.

You might have more luck checking out the London School of Economics forum - there should be stickied threads in there where applicants say what they've applied for and whether they got offers.
Reply 10
Original post by TAgirl

They did reject me in the end, but only after i got through some stages of the process (i was more competitive than others but not good enough basically)
I was also rejected from Warwick and UCL but got into Bath and Surrey. If you've got any other questions i'm happy to answer them.
They did reject me in the end, but only after i got through some stages of the process (i was more competitive than others but not good enough basically)
I was also rejected from Warwick and UCL but got into Bath and Surrey. If you've got any other questions i'm happy to answer them.

hey my question is in relation to the MIT online courses that you took, what are they?
Reply 12
It's a series on youtube of filmed MIT lectures. I didn't end up putting them in my personal statement though. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD10630DEA5E7466A
Where did you do your work exp with the hedge fund and how did you get in??

Thanks
Reply 14
Through a friend of my economics teacher
Through a friend of my economics teacher

Which firm was it?
Reply 16
Original post by AmarPatel98
Which firm was it?

The man group.
My friend got rejected from lse with a five a* prediction for economics, don't be too down! Lse are a tad excessive
Reply 18
Original post by qwertyuipdoe
My friend got rejected from lse with a five a* prediction for economics, don't be too down! Lse are a tad excessive

Thanks man-but i'm pretty over it now. Obviously it would've been great to go there but i'm not suffering by going somewhere like bath so i'm happy with that.
Reply 19
Here are my stats:
5A*4A's2B's - At GCSE with the A*'s being in maths and business if that helps at all
I've almost finished my AS levels but I have a good idea as to what my predictions will be in light of the exams and I'm expecting a prediction A*A*A with the A* being in Econ and Maths.
I currently take Bio, Chem, Maths, Econ and the cambridge Pre-U GPR course.
I recently decided to switch to a finance degree so I have little to no work experience but I have applied for a few different courses over the summer and I'm doing some work experience at the London Stock Exchange over summer. My dad works at Barclays but only as a manager, do you think if I got some work experience at a Bank that would be useful at all? If so, how would I talk about it?
Just wanted to know at what universities I'd have a competitive application in and with my stats which would be the best universities to apply to?
By any chance, did you ask LSE/Warwich/UCL as to why they rejected you?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending