The Student Room Group

Applying for medicine

Hello, I recently got my results for AS which included 4 A's at AS in biology, chemistry, history, and government and politics. I also got 2640 in my UKCAT and so I am not sure what universities this allows me to apply to and get a good chance of an offer.

Also, my twin brother also got 4 A's in biology. chemistry. history, and maths at AS but only got 2590 in UKCAT. Therefore, would it be difficult for us to try and get into the same uni?
It depends which unis you are looking at, they all use the UKCAT differently. You wouldn't both be able to apply to a uni with a cutoff somewhere between your two grades.
Have a look here http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Applying_to_Medical_School_using_your_Strengths
and here for how unis use the UKCAT http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/UKCAT
Reply 2
Problem also is that I have 8 A*s at GCSE but my brother only has 4, so I feel that if we want to go to the same uni it may be preventing me to go to ones that don't favor the UKCAT as much.
Original post by Motin
Problem also is that I have 8 A*s at GCSE but my brother only has 4, so I feel that if we want to go to the same uni it may be preventing me to go to ones that don't favor the UKCAT as much.

Can I ask why you want to go to the same university?
Realistically it's going to be difficult for you to get offers from the same universities and you both run the risk of getting no offers if you try to find places you can both apply. You need to individually apply to places that meet your individual strengths.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Here are a few Universities that you personally could consider. I also would reiterate that you should apply independently of each other.
You have excellent academics and a reasonable UKCAT - It however does eliminate you applying to the UKCAT intensive Universities.

Aberdeen
Dundee
Keele
UEA
Birmingham (If you have a good number of A*'s for GCSE)
Queen's Belfast (Same as Birmingham)
Cardiff
Bristol
Plymouth
Lancaster
Liverpool

There could be a few more, so research them carefully and apply according to your strengths. Phone the medical schools and ask them if you would be a candidate they would approve of.
Good luck.
Reply 5
Its just a social reason for us going to the same uni, but I guess we should apply independently in order to maximize our chances. Also, how does Queen Mary use the UKCAT? I don't really understand it.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending