The Student Room Group

Are contact lenses worth it

Scroll to see replies

Original post by peachy pieces
Yeah that's the thing, contacts don't bode well with everyone, I know most of my friends wear them and are always complaining about something or other😂 I know this might sound a bit vain but I partly want to try them out for a different look I suppose..

I can understand that :smile: if you want a new look then go for it
Original post by Redmark
I can understand that :smile: if you want a new look then go for it

I think I will, thank you 😊
I think I will, thank you 😊

Another reason I don't wear contacts is because I'm photophobic, so my glasses use transition lenses, so even if I wanted to wear contacts I probably couldn't
Original post by Redmark
Another reason I don't wear contacts is because I'm photophobic, so my glasses use transition lenses, so even if I wanted to wear contacts I probably couldn't

What does it mean to be photophobic? I'm guessing something to do with exposure to light or..
What does it mean to be photophobic? I'm guessing something to do with exposure to light or..

My eyes are quite sensitive to sunlight, so when I'm out during Summer I really need my glasses/sunglasses on, otherwise my eyes turn in to fried chicken
Reply 25
I've worn glasses for nearly all my life and now I think I might try contact lenses however I know I will look extremely different...maybe in a good way I don't know but I was wondering if they were worth all the hassle?
I wear glasses and contact lenses (daily disposables).I love lenses, they just make my life so much easier but I also lovee wearing glasses and I wouldn't want eye surgery or anything.I don't have any problems with my eyes getting dry after wearing my contacts all day, so I would recommend lenses, but make sure you get the right ones that work for you!
Original post by Redmark
My eyes are quite sensitive to sunlight, so when I'm out during Summer I really need my glasses/sunglasses on, otherwise my eyes turn in to fried chicken

Fried chicken aha great comparison 😂 but I see, do you find it annoying that you are photophobic or is it not a big deal? (Sorry for asking too many questions 👀)
Original post by MissJGB
I wear glasses and contact lenses (daily disposables).I love lenses, they just make my life so much easier but I also lovee wearing glasses and I wouldn't want eye surgery or anything.I don't have any problems with my eyes getting dry after wearing my contacts all day, so I would recommend lenses, but make sure you get the right ones that work for you!

Okay thank you!😊
Fried chicken aha great comparison 😂 but I see, do you find it annoying that you are photophobic or is it not a big deal? (Sorry for asking too many questions 👀)

It's only a problem when it's really sunny out during the Summer, otherwise I can get away without wearing glasses and just squinting a little bit. But I can't see things at a distance too well so I just wear my glasses when I'm out anyway, so it's not a big deal for me, I can live with it.
Reply 29
I wear monthly lenses. I love them! I hate the way glasses make me look, and my prescription is so abysmally bad that before I got contacts, 3D films just... Well, weren't 3D.

Now I have peripheral vision, can watch 3D movies, can wear normal, cheap sunglasses and still be able to see, run without pushing glasses up my nose all the time, step inside from the cold and not have to wipe fog off my glasses... Etc etc etc. I wouldn't go back.

I personally don't mind the cold when they first go on. After ten minutes or so they warm up to body temperature - I can't even feel mine!! I actually get the opposite curse - I find them so comfy that I hate taking them out. I actually need to cut down my wear time because I've been told by my optician that my eyes actually have a lens shaped indent... Oopsie!!

All in all, I love lenses. 100% recommended.
Reply 30
Original post by Kilbae
I wear monthly lenses. I love them! I hate the way glasses make me look, and my prescription is so abysmally bad that before I got contacts, 3D films just... Well, weren't 3D.

Now I have peripheral vision, can watch 3D movies, can wear normal, cheap sunglasses and still be able to see, run without pushing glasses up my nose all the time, step inside from the cold and not have to wipe fog off my glasses... Etc etc etc. I wouldn't go back.

I personally don't mind the cold when they first go on. After ten minutes or so they warm up to body temperature - I can't even feel mine!! I actually get the opposite curse - I find them so comfy that I hate taking them out. I actually need to cut down my wear time because I've been told by my optician that my eyes actually have a lens shaped indent... Oopsie!!

All in all, I love lenses. 100% recommended.

Everything you said (apart from the cold thing, I don't get that lol) but I agree with you 100% :smile::smile:
I use contacts mostly for sports or night outs when I dont want to wear glasses, or in the winter when it is raining havily.
I have two brands of contacts which I use for different occasions. if I need to see clearly I'd wear the toric ones with the astigmatism correction, otherwise I wear the standart daily ones and see ok with them. I am used to see all blurry because I don't use my glasses that often.
Reply 32
I have worn both and prefer wearing glasses over contacts. Since I am nearsighted and have astigmatism the lenses cost more and at the end of the day I hated how my eyes felt after wearing my contacts all day, I couldn't wait to get home and take my lenses out and put my glasses on.
I have needed visual correction most of my life and have used contacts for at least the last 20 years. I also have some trendy specs which i wear sometimes for days just because i feel like it and it also gives my eyes a break.

Really contacts are just the perfect solution.

They provide bright,sharp unobtrusive vision. I have no idea they are even in my eyes as i cant feel them and have rarely had any issues/discomfort.

I use spherical single vision non silicon hydrogels and i use daily disposables.

This keeps things economical, healthy and uncomplicated.

I generally use daysoft classic lenses but sometimes will use j&j Acuvues.

The whole business of putting them in and taking them out is so easy. I can have then in and out in around 30 seconds.

I was thinking i could act as a contact lens Doula for those wishing to start using them as i think they offer such great advantages for those who are optically challenged !
(edited 8 years ago)
I think they are worth it. Unfortunately I cannot get on with them as anything near my eye makes me squint too much, or I end up feeling really queasy. I'd love to wear contacts :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 35
I wore glasses for three years before getting contact lenses, and I've now used contact lenses for five years :smile: they take a few months to get used to, but completely worth it! Just to be able to choose not to have frames over your face once in a while. Not that there's anything wrong with glasses (I still wear them half the time)- but the freedom of contact lenses is a massive thing for me
Original post by Butterfly92xo
I think they are worth it. Unfortunately I cannot get on with them as anything near my eye makes me squint too much, or I end up feeling really queasy. I'd love to wear contacts :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

You just need more coaching :smile:
Gotta be careful with contact lenses. I know of somebody where the contact lense slipped down and around her eyeball and into the bottom of the eye socket. This happened when she was pissed and passed out. It required a painful operation to fix and she now has trouble focusing on that eye which causes frequent eye strain.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending