The Student Room Group

Waiter/Waitress Job (weekends only) Any advice plz for a yr 11 still studying

Hi All,

I am going to be a year 11 student in September 2015 and will be doing my GCSE's so an important year. I showed interest in a weekends only waitressing job vacancy at a local cafe and have been asked to attend an interview.

I informed the employer about my age 15, nearly 16 and was just wondering will it affect my studies and what will waitressing be like?

I am thinking of working saturdays only if possible, but dont want it to interfere with my GCSE's?

Should I wait till I have finished year 11? Any advice please??

Thanks all :biggrin:
Original post by Ace C
Hi All,

I am going to be a year 11 student in September 2015 and will be doing my GCSE's so an important year. I showed interest in a weekends only waitressing job vacancy at a local cafe and have been asked to attend an interview.

I informed the employer about my age 15, nearly 16 and was just wondering will it affect my studies and what will waitressing be like?

I am thinking of working saturdays only if possible, but dont want it to interfere with my GCSE's?

Should I wait till I have finished year 11? Any advice please??

Thanks all :biggrin:

It all depends upon how you are doing accademically at the moment and what grades you are looking at. If you work long hours on both days, it can be a bit of a struggle to fit a significant amount of revision in, especiallybif you have other commitments during the week. If you ask the employeer what kind of hours they are looking for, you could agree upon hours that suit you both. If you just work the saturday you should be fine.
In terms of waitressing in general, it is a high energy job, especially around lunchtime where youbhave to juggle orders, bring food from the kitchen as well as keeping tye cafe tidy. Usually your employeer and people you work with make the job more fun. There is always the benefit of tips with this job so go for it!
If you want to know anything else please ask!
Reply 2
Original post by arichards_
It all depends upon how you are doing accademically at the moment and what grades you are looking at. If you work long hours on both days, it can be a bit of a struggle to fit a significant amount of revision in, especiallybif you have other commitments during the week. If you ask the employeer what kind of hours they are looking for, you could agree upon hours that suit you both. If you just work the saturday you should be fine.
In terms of waitressing in general, it is a high energy job, especially around lunchtime where youbhave to juggle orders, bring food from the kitchen as well as keeping tye cafe tidy. Usually your employeer and people you work with make the job more fun. There is always the benefit of tips with this job so go for it!
If you want to know anything else please ask!

Thanks for that :biggrin: Great advice. I take it that you are/were a waiter/waitress?
I have a question, unsure If you can answer for me:
Due to my age 15, 16 this Novemeber (shortly) will I be covered by insurance etc shoukd anythibg happen? I dont have my National Insurance number yet.

I also did a google search for the company and cant seem to find them (dodgy??)

Thanks.
Yep I've been a waitress since end of year 10 and still am now, but at a different company due to pay increase and hours.
Just before your 16th, you will revieve a national insurance number with a card, until then you won't have. However the company itself will have insurance so you will be insured. Don't worry if you can't find them, they may be an independent company which means they might not have one at all😊
Reply 4
Original post by arichards_
Yep I've been a waitress since end of year 10 and still am now, but at a different company due to pay increase and hours.
Just before your 16th, you will revieve a national insurance number with a card, until then you won't have. However the company itself will have insurance so you will be insured. Don't worry if you can't find them, they may be an independent company which means they might not have one at all😊

Thanks for response. Sounds Ok. I have decided NOT to get a part time weekend job as feel it may have an impact on my grades and dont want it to (especially as these results stay with me for life)

On the other note as I didn't confirm to attend interview on WEDNESDAY 19TH AUG (2 DAYS AWAY) the employer has given my interview slot to someone else even though there wasn't a RSVP date!

Probably better I don't have a job! :biggrin: I will enjoy time with my mates and live whilst I'm young 😯😊😀😁

How do you find waitressing (best and worst moments) On average how much do you earn on tips (if any)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending