The Student Room Group
Chapel, Keele University
Keele University
Keele

Possible Keele Applicant - Help Please!

Hello!

Basically I am applying for uni for 2016 entry. But I am having problems finding universities that suit my needs, as I have Asperger syndrome and anxiety and as a result am sensitive to loud noise. So this may be a silly question, but compared to other unis, is the uni fairly quiet? and what is the accommodation like in terms of noise? and is there anywhere I can go to 'relax' if I get too anxious due to the noise? What is the pastoral care like? My only other options at this point are Aberystwyth or Swansea!

Thank you so much for any help, I am really stuggling to find a uni and did really like this one. I got ABC in my AS levels (7 UMS total off AAB) and would likely be applying for Politics and International Relations or Politics and Law.

Edit: I have also had to repeat year 12 due to my subjects not being right for me, is this likely to affect my application in any way?
Hi there,

I work as a Graduate Assistant in Student Support here at Keele University. I'd just like to make you aware of the range of support that we have here at Keele that may help you out. I hope this information brings you some reassurance and is of benefit to you!

Firstly, we offer a Disability and Dyslexia Support service who are a team that work to ensure that those with disabilities are given adequate support and reasonable adjustments are made for them.
Keele University offers the option of special exam arrangements for students with recognised conditions and students may also be eligible for Disabled Students Allowance which can be used to pay for additional support. Prior to your arrival at Keele, they also run a pre-arrival event called Moving On Up which gives students with complex disabilities the opportunity to tour the campus, and discuss their initial support needs they may have.

If you are allocated on-campus accommodation, Keele University has 24/7 Campus Security which gives a safe feel to our campus-based university as they regularly patrol the halls of residence and University areas. Our pastoral support extends to students in Halls also. We have a team of Resident Support Assistants who live in halls and can be called for out of hours support at anytime of the night. They are able to respond to callouts and give you any advice or reassurance that you may need. They are also able to respond to noise complaints, in order to keep excessive noise to a minimum in Halls. However, should you need somewhere quiet to escape to outside of your room, each halls of residence has a common room, and our campus library is open 24/7 which has silent study spaces.

We also have a mentoring scheme where current undergraduate students can keep in touch with you prior to your arrival and during your time at Keele. They are there to offer you tips and info on what it's like to be a student at Keele.

I hope all this information helps - thankyou for having the patience to read it! Do let me know if you have any other questions.

Illana (Residence Support)
Chapel, Keele University
Keele University
Keele
Original post by emiloujess
Hello!

Basically I am applying for uni for 2016 entry. But I am having problems finding universities that suit my needs, as I have Asperger syndrome and anxiety and as a result am sensitive to loud noise. So this may be a silly question, but compared to other unis, is the uni fairly quiet? and what is the accommodation like in terms of noise? and is there anywhere I can go to 'relax' if I get too anxious due to the noise? What is the pastoral care like? My only other options at this point are Aberystwyth or Swansea!

Thank you so much for any help, I am really stuggling to find a uni and did really like this one. I got ABC in my AS levels (7 UMS total off AAB) and would likely be applying for Politics and International Relations or Politics and Law.

Edit: I have also had to repeat year 12 due to my subjects not being right for me, is this likely to affect my application in any way?

I repeated a year at college for the same reason and am a student at Keele currently, it didn't seem to cause any issues at all, just make sure you put all of your qualifications down on UCAS and you will be fine.

As for my opinion of Keele, its a very friendly, respectful and mature environment and most lectures will be fine with you maybe having to take 5 or 10 minutes out of a lecture or anything if you feel you need to calm down for whatever reason and will be more than happy to help outside of lectures and tutorials with anything that may be concerning you.

I have no experience, but im sure the University would be able to cater for your needs and help the best they can. Also, dont quote me but im pretty sure if you have qualifying health conditions/disabilities mental or physical you get extra help and equipment and you are prioritised for certain halls of residence where you will likely be sharing with other students with their own forms of conditions or disabilities.
Reply 3
Original post by Keele University
Hi there,

I work as a Graduate Assistant in Student Support here at Keele University. I'd just like to make you aware of the range of support that we have here at Keele that may help you out. I hope this information brings you some reassurance and is of benefit to you!

Firstly, we offer a Disability and Dyslexia Support service who are a team that work to ensure that those with disabilities are given adequate support and reasonable adjustments are made for them.
Keele University offers the option of special exam arrangements for students with recognised conditions and students may also be eligible for Disabled Students Allowance which can be used to pay for additional support. Prior to your arrival at Keele, they also run a pre-arrival event called Moving On Up which gives students with complex disabilities the opportunity to tour the campus, and discuss their initial support needs they may have.

If you are allocated on-campus accommodation, Keele University has 24/7 Campus Security which gives a safe feel to our campus-based university as they regularly patrol the halls of residence and University areas. Our pastoral support extends to students in Halls also. We have a team of Resident Support Assistants who live in halls and can be called for out of hours support at anytime of the night. They are able to respond to callouts and give you any advice or reassurance that you may need. They are also able to respond to noise complaints, in order to keep excessive noise to a minimum in Halls. However, should you need somewhere quiet to escape to outside of your room, each halls of residence has a common room, and our campus library is open 24/7 which has silent study spaces.

We also have a mentoring scheme where current undergraduate students can keep in touch with you prior to your arrival and during your time at Keele. They are there to offer you tips and info on what it's like to be a student at Keele.

I hope all this information helps - thankyou for having the patience to read it! Do let me know if you have any other questions.

Illana (Residence Support)

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply! :smile:

Keele sounds lovely! I will definitely be coming to the open day and then applying. I'm now completely torn as to which uni to firm but I guess I've got a while to sort that out.
Reply 4
Original post by C0nfused_Student
I repeated a year at college for the same reason and am a student at Keele currently, it didn't seem to cause any issues at all, just make sure you put all of your qualifications down on UCAS and you will be fine.

As for my opinion of Keele, its a very friendly, respectful and mature environment and most lectures will be fine with you maybe having to take 5 or 10 minutes out of a lecture or anything if you feel you need to calm down for whatever reason and will be more than happy to help outside of lectures and tutorials with anything that may be concerning you.

I have no experience, but im sure the University would be able to cater for your needs and help the best they can. Also, dont quote me but im pretty sure if you have qualifying health conditions/disabilities mental or physical you get extra help and equipment and you are prioritised for certain halls of residence where you will likely be sharing with other students with their own forms of conditions or disabilities.

The lecturers sound amazing - so supportive! :smile: Thank you for replying, it means a lot.
The lecturers sound amazing - so supportive! :smile: Thank you for replying, it means a lot.

No problem, obviously I can't talk for all lecturers but the ones that I have experienced seem really friendly and understanding of any issues you may have.
Reply 6
Original post by C0nfused_Student
No problem, obviously I can't talk for all lecturers but the ones that I have experienced seem really friendly and understanding of any issues you may have.

They do sound great :smile: Would you mind me asking what degree you're doing?
They do sound great :smile: Would you mind me asking what degree you're doing?

Not at all, Computer Science and Marketing starting my second year in September.

Quick Reply

Latest