The Student Room Group
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website

nightlife at reading

Could someone who goes to Reading Uni, or lives in the town tell me what the nightlife is like. Like are there lots of clubs, or more pubs? I dont really know anything about the town, only seen the uni!

Scroll to see replies

Plenty of clubs and pubs to meet your desired needs.
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website
The Fez is a particular favourite of mine every monday night,
its ****. ok for your first year, but there is no variety cos there's only about 5/6 places to go on a 'proper' night and then the union on top of that. everyone i know says that it was great in first year but there's only so much you can do. sorry that was a bit negative, i really recommend the uni and the campus and stuff but the town really lets it down.
Reply 4
im a first year......the night life usually doesnt disapoint, you gotta know what your likes and dislikes are then your gonna enjoy the night. ps: NEVER GO TO REVS lol or Q bar if you want to come out alive hehe. There are lots of places to go of different styles but the 1st year scene does get boring after a while. And the Union is great, went last night and did the walk of shame this morning so just got back in hehe (a)
You just gotta do it all and then when you have, do it all again but this time in fancy dress lol
Reply 5
Reading's my home town and I have to say that, while town is full of pubs and bars, club wise it's pretty pants.

That said, I'm only at home when none of the students are, so probably get a lonely and slightly biased view!
Reply 6
If you come from somewhere with the massive 4 floor clubs then you will be dissapointed. Reading's atmosphere for students is mainly the student nights which are generally at Q bar and Vodka Revs. Most of the places are mainly just bars with a dancefloor, although they are generally quite a bit bigger than your average bar.

Theres a walkabout, brannigans sports bar, yates, 3 weatherspoons, varsity and probably a couple of others i've forgotten.

In terms of clubs, theres one main place, the fez, which has quite a few big names playing there. SOme coming up include Sister Bliss from faithless, Dave pearce.

In terms of the indie scene, you'll have to go ask someone else :smile:
Reply 7
I come from London so theres less choice obviously, but to be honest I still have fun on nights out.

Plenty of good pubs in town (Pavlov's Dog, Upin Arms, Back of Beyond, Monk's Retreat to name the better ones) and then theres the main clubby places (Bar Risa, Fez, Q-Bar, Vodka Revs).

I was quite surprised by how few places there are for a student town like Reading, but then again I'm also surprised how I'm not bored of the place yet. The Students Union at 360 every Wednesday and Saturday get boring after a while, but to be quite honest as long as you don't milk it too much and go EVERY single time you'll be okay, I think...
Reply 8
I'm amazed no-one has mentioned Mango on Hosier St! Although its relatively small, it has some very good nights- Erotique every first friday of the month, Voodoo on the second Saturday of the month, Loco on the 3rd Friday, etc. I'm a dj, have played in countless clubs across the country but Mango still remains my favourite and the place is held in high regard by many of my peers.

We've had Hoxton Whores, Kate Lawler (who was unbelievably good by the way), Minsitry of Sound resident Marc Hughes, Brandon Block, etc all visit lately, and on Friday 2nd March Judge Jules is making an appearance there for Erotique. There are some more details at www.erotique-parties.com.

As well as Mango the Fez has had some awesome guests as well: D Ramirez, DJ yoda, X/Press2, and as someone mentioned earlier, Sister Bliss from Faithless on Saturday. I'll be on after Sister Bliss at 3am, feel free to pop by and say hi :smile:
mangos ****. q bar, fex and revs is what its all about! theres a new one called blue aswel which i need to check out soon. and our union is the best union for getting drunk in the country.

and if you get bored, theres always coaches organised goign to london clubs :smile: but i end up spendign waaay to much then and dont have half as many drinks as i can afford in reading.
Reply 10
me like night life when i go out =] better then my home town....Pandy DONT say a word about my home town!!.......just try your best and try and go out on a student nite otherwise your paying stupid prices. =]
Reply 11
Are there many cinemas in Reading? I mean I guess there's one at The Oracle but are there any that are open reasonably late, say 9pm? I like going out at that kind of time.
Reply 12
The VUE at Reading has showings at like 2300 and midnight....
Reply 13
My firend says the oracle centres awesome i'll have to check it out when i get there in september. On the cd they gave out about the uni they had this strange girl who went there and she was like 'look they even have a haggen daaz cafe. How cool is that is that a haagen daaz cafe' i was like calm down woman its only a cafe.
Reply 14
TheConfuddledOne

Same. I live there every monday night. Middle floor is the best :P
Reply 15
TheConfuddledOne

Ooooh Yes! Two years of college in Bracknell (nearby town) left their mark there- it ended up being every monday night religiously!
KroniK

I'm there almost every Monday, middle floor on the stage of course when they start playing great songs. Takes a little while at start because of the new releases, but eventually it gets good.
Reply 17
Nah, Monday night is Q Bar night!
Reply 18
KroniK

Also the same.

One of the best nights out in Reading has got to be Monday night Fez!
Reply 19
Fez ****ing stinks, you'll come back smelling like an ashtray after a night out there. Good music on a Monday though.

Bar Risa used to be good on Mondays, but now it's Q. And union on Wednesdays has become tradition :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending