The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

^^Which is a good thing for me.
Reply 521
I'm a first year A&F student at warwick uni and missed out on the spring week programmes. However, I'm still in the Deutsch Bank Bursary.

I was wondering whether it would be advantageous when applying for internships next year to gain work experience in a commercial bank over the easter/summer as well as firms such as Brewin Dolphin Securities and Citigroup Quilter?
Epi: You would get in to M&A and perhaps some areas of trading (i.e. Sales) with your degree; it's honestly not an insurmountable problem, provided you can show you can pick up new concepts, have an interest in banking, and pass the numerical tests! Why on earth you want to work in M&A is another question entirely . . .
Well, I don't know much about it. I wanted originally to work in derivatives by those aspirations were dashed on this forum pretty quickly. As for M & A, is that not a good sector to work in?
M&A, you'll work like a dog, but if you make it to the top, the world is your oyster

Trading, these days, you'd find it very difficult to get in without a mathematical/economics degree

Sales, it's more about the soft skills than it is the degree. They want to see that you can explain something complicated in simple, appealing language (if you can do that in Chinese, so much the better). If you want to get into derivatives, apply for markets internships and try to get yourself onto a derivatives desk for your rotations.
Reply 525
M&A: Work 19 hours a day, 7 days of the week, with 1 week a year holidays for the next 15 years, and the world will "be your oyster".:rofl:
Olek

Sales, it's more about the soft skills than it is the degree. They want to see that you can explain something complicated in simple, appealing language (if you can do that in Chinese, so much the better).

I won't be able to do it in chinese but in the following languages: english, arabic, persian, urdu and Spanish. Would it be advantageous to speak any of these languages?
Reply 527
Epicurus
I won't be able to do it in chinese but in the following languages: english, arabic, persian, urdu and Spanish. Would it be advantageous to speak any of these languages?

Yes, certainly Arabic and Spanish.
Reply 528
Just spoke to someone who did an internship in IBD at MS in South Korea... apparently for an entire week she didn't sleep more than 2-3hours/day.

IBD, or for that matter any FO role, is not for the timid. :wink:

Needless to say, she scratched IBD off her list right after the internship. She's working as an EM flow trader now. At least you have predictable working hours, and the weekends are always yours. :wink:
An intern at GS who I know, said he worked 60 hrs straight, several times and it seemed to be the norm at his office... how are the hrs for sales? any chance that you could work "just" 100 hrs a week as an analyst?
Reply 530
pearfire
An intern at GS who I know, said he worked 60 hrs straight, several times and it seemed to be the norm at his office... how are the hrs for sales? any chance that you could work "just" 100 hrs a week as an analyst?

If in Europe, expect to work about 11hours/day. Of course when you're starting out there's plenty of learning to do on your own time.... but once you're comfortably settled in, the number above sounds right.
Reply 531
just a random question: do you think a psychology degree from UCL would get one into banking?
thanks
really Knogle? only 11? even if you worked 7 days a week, it'd only be 77 hrs. sounds kinda too good to me. now, when u said europe, did u mean only continental europe or did u include the UK? if I can stay under 100 hrs/week working in london, it'd be almost like paradise...
Reply 533
Of course you can. For sales/trading the 60-80 seems more the norm. 100+ is pretty much reserved for IBD, at least doing it on a regular basis is.
pearfire
really Knogle? only 11? even if you worked 7 days a week, it'd only be 77 hrs. sounds kinda too good to me. now, when u said europe, did u mean only continental europe or did u include the UK? if I can stay under 100 hrs/week working in london, it'd be almost like paradise...

how can having only 9 hours a day free and no free weekends be a paradise?
wut a pleasant surprise... I've always been interested in sales and this info makes it even more appealling... cheers mates
11 hours a day, 5 days a week is what a lot of salespeople do (including myself), whether in fixed income or equities, cash or derivatives. Commodities Sales have it best with 10 (8-6).
Reply 537
I heard hedge funds were even better. One of my friends just got a graduate offer from a major european hedge fund and when speaking to the analysts there, they seemed to work around 8:30-5:30 5 days a week. I guess with clients being more stand-offish when it comes to hedge funds gives you the freedom to do as much work as you need to to make good investments. Would this be similar to prop trading, or is that back to higher hours?
Awesome. Another thing though: My mum's oncle works at the Industrial and Commercial Bank of China and could get me an internship at one of their banks in Shanghai or Hong Kong. Do you think this would be something worthwile to pursue? Although they got quite a lot of media attention in the last few weeks with their entering the stock market, I'm not really sure whether it's respected internationally. What do you guys think?
Drogue
I heard hedge funds were even better. One of my friends just got a graduate offer from a major european hedge fund and when speaking to the analysts there, they seemed to work around 8:30-5:30 5 days a week. I guess with clients being more stand-offish when it comes to hedge funds gives you the freedom to do as much work as you need to to make good investments. Would this be similar to prop trading, or is that back to higher hours?

I'd have thought hours at long-term, long-only asset/fund management firms would be much better, a lot of my clients get in 9-10am, whereas at active hedge funds they ought to be there from the market open.

Latest

Trending

Trending