The Student Room Group

A2 OCR Biology revision (specification) notes

Biology exam revision material
Reply 1
Hello everyone! I recently got my A level results and it turns out I got full marks on my biology paper. So I thought it might be helpful to share my notes with A level biology students. I made these notes using a combination of class notes, text books, the internet, student room and the official OCR specification. I'm sure it contains some errors- and I wish I had the time and effort to proof read the entire thing again- but it did the job for me. There's a girl on student room who had made something similar which I found useful when I was making my own. Therefore, I'm not sure if just reading these notes will be completely effective on their own for other students but it might be a good guideline for people who want to make their own. For some reason I didn't think to make anything like this for my AS year. So these notes are only for F214 and F215. I hope this helps:smile: Thank you Mana
(edited 8 years ago)
Thank you, these will be so helpful!! :biggrin: Also, congratulations on your results!
Reply 3
You're very welcome! And thank you, hopefully it will go just as well for yourself:smile:
Original post by manajalali
You're very welcome! And thank you, hopefully it will go just as well for yourself:smile:

Can I just ask how difficult did you find A2, I scraped a B this year at AS and I am unsure of whether to keep it, I'd like to get an A at the end of A2 if I keep it but the content just seems like so much! And I've never been great at Biology really but I find it interesting. Also If I wanted to take it on A2 I would have to retake an exam, which would make it even more content! Can you give any advise? thanks
Reply 5
For me, A2 was a lot more challenging than AS. I spent much more time revising for my A2 exams because there's just so much to cover and there are also a lot of Synoptic topics to remember from AS. The fact that you only just scraped a B at AS shouldn't discourage you from doing A2 biology. I think anyone who works hard enough can get an A. You just have to want it bad enough. If you have to do resits, it's a lot of work but even better as this will help you tremendously with synoptic topics in A2.

To be truthful, Biology wasn't my favourite subject at college. It was very painful at times. But I persevered through it.

I'm not an expert but here are my revision tips:
I basically revised my notes to such an extent that I knew them off by heart, back to front. My biggest tip is to do past papers over and over again. Make sure to always mark them yourself so you know exactly what the examiner wants. In these notes I've underlined the sections that are directly from mark schemes. They are the key points that get repeated in almost every paper.

Start revising from day one and use as many different techniques as you can think of to cover the same material repeatedly. for example, use cue cards, stick diagrams above your workspace, and use several different sources of information to make sure you're not missing anything. If you find it difficult to understand a particular topic, it might be useful to see it visually. So maybe watch a youtube video or make your own diagram to link the information together.

Good luck!

Original post by Ben4
Can I just ask how difficult did you find A2, I scraped a B this year at AS and I am unsure of whether to keep it, I'd like to get an A at the end of A2 if I keep it but the content just seems like so much! And I've never been great at Biology really but I find it interesting. Also If I wanted to take it on A2 I would have to retake an exam, which would make it even more content! Can you give any advise? thanks
Original post by manajalali
For me, A2 was a lot more challenging than AS. I spent much more time revising for my A2 exams because there's just so much to cover and there are also a lot of Synoptic topics to remember from AS. The fact that you only just scraped a B at AS shouldn't discourage you from doing A2 biology. I think anyone who works hard enough can get an A. You just have to want it bad enough. If you have to do resits, it's a lot of work but even better as this will help you tremendously with synoptic topics in A2.

To be truthful, Biology wasn't my favourite subject at college. It was very painful at times. But I persevered through it.

I'm not an expert but here are my revision tips:
I basically revised my notes to such an extent that I knew them off by heart, back to front. My biggest tip is to do past papers over and over again. Make sure to always mark them yourself so you know exactly what the examiner wants. In these notes I've underlined the sections that are directly from mark schemes. They are the key points that get repeated in almost every paper.

Start revising from day one and use as many different techniques as you can think of to cover the same material repeatedly. for example, use cue cards, stick diagrams above your workspace, and use several different sources of information to make sure you're not missing anything. If you find it difficult to understand a particular topic, it might be useful to see it visually. So maybe watch a youtube video or make your own diagram to link the information together.

Good luck!

Thank you! I plan to work very hard as the grades I got this year disappointed me, I want to keep Biology but I can just see myself getting so stressed and restless. I guess I can do it if I try hard enough. I am definitely going to start from the beginning of A2 and make tons of notes and notes. Im scared but I guess I can do it, thanks for the advise :smile: and congratulations on your grades!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Ben4
Thank you! I plan to work very hard as the grades I got this year disappointed me, I want to keep Biology but I can just see myself getting so stressed and restless. I guess I can do it if I try hard enough. I am definitely going to start from the beginning of A2 and make tons of notes and notes. Im scared but I guess I can do it, thanks for the advise :smile: and congratulations on your grades!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! My AS results weren't great either, I had to do some resists too, but hard work will pay off. I'm sure you'll do great!:smile:
Reply 8
Looks great. You reckon if I just revise from this along side past papers I should be Orytt?
Reply 9
Your notes are simply incredible, they have really helped me get to the level needed to be ready for the exam, 2 months before the exam but i was wondering if you have any specification notes for ocr f212 and ocr f211?
Reply 10
I don't know if you'll see this but thank you so much for sharing your notes.
I basically used these and past papers, and got an A overall this year :smile:
Original post by DDan123
I don't know if you'll see this but thank you so much for sharing your notes.
I basically used these and past papers, and got an A overall this year :smile:

is this for the new ocr a level biology (2015 onwards)

Quick Reply

Latest