The Student Room Group

Will The Student Room app ever be updated?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Captain Jack
We'd love to have a brand new app as well :smile: It's a bit tricky right now because really, we have to build it ourselves, and as we're still a tiny company, we have limited development resource. We spent some of the last 18 months getting some of the site mobile. Which worked to some degree, though admittedly we know that still needs a lot of work too, but at least the forums are functional on mobile now.

But we will turn our attention back to the mobile app towards the end of this year / the New Year. All going to plan we should see some updates in early 2016... so please hold on tight and please do keep the list of ideas coming :smile:

That's brilliant sounds good, hope it goes well!
Notifications tab
Rep
Newer look.

Posted from TSR Mobile
We'd love to have a brand new app as well :smile: It's a bit tricky right now because really, we have to build it ourselves, and as we're still a tiny company, we have limited development resource. We spent some of the last 18 months getting some of the site mobile. Which worked to some degree, though admittedly we know that still needs a lot of work too, but at least the forums are functional on mobile now.

But we will turn our attention back to the mobile app towards the end of this year / the New Year. All going to plan we should see some updates in early 2016... so please hold on tight and please do keep the list of ideas coming :smile:

Oh, and I don't mind paying a little for an ad free version :yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank god someone finally said this! It really needs some work. I can't rep or use emojis and it crashes quite a lot. I also can't see my notifications on there
Original post by GroovyLu
But why would you want to completely focus on a mobile site? It's much easier and convenient for people to use an app. It's not like it has to be a hugely complex app, many websites nowadays are just designing their own apps that are just simple and easy to use. So I have no idea why TSR can't do the same

Posted from TSR Mobile

The Mobile app so slow

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 24
I posted a thread like this ages ago and they said they wanted to improve the browser version on your mobile :colonhash: which no one uses! If I go onto tsr on my browser on my phone it asks if I want to download the app...

Being able to rep, see notifications...basic things on tsr...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Having the button that takes you to the first unread post would be massively helpful.
We should be able to creat threads

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by heyitscraziix
We should be able to creat threads

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
Also, some sections of the forum such as the gaming section just don't load whatsoever

Posted from TSR Mobile
Also, some sections of the forum such as the gaming section just don't load whatsoever

Posted from TSR Mobile

How are you trying to navigate to these forums? You may be trying to follow a redirect (which the app doesn't treat properly) rather the main link.
Original post by Dylann
I posted a thread like this ages ago and they said they wanted to improve the browser version on your mobile :colonhash: which no one uses! If I go onto tsr on my browser on my phone it asks if I want to download the app...

Being able to rep, see notifications...basic things on tsr...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Approximately 50% of our audience of 5.5 - 6 million monthly visitors now visits us on mobile browsers, so the mobile website had to take priority over the app for a time. But, as mentioned in my post just above, we are coming back to the app soon.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 31
Original post by SirMasterKey
Having the button that takes you to the first unread post would be massively helpful.

There is an option to load threads from first unread post. Its massively useful.

It's under: "more -> settings -> Loading Behaviour" which is the 7th option on my app. You can also set notifications there too.
Reply 32
Approximately 50% of our audience of 5.5 - 6 million monthly visitors now visits us on mobile browsers, so the mobile website had to take priority over the app for a time. But, as mentioned in my post just above, we are coming back to the app soon.

I stand corrected, my bad
Reply 33
Original post by Illusionary
How are you trying to navigate to these forums? You may be trying to follow a redirect (which the app doesn't treat properly) rather the main link.

I just click on "Forums" then "Hobbies and Interests" then "Entertainment" then "Gaming" and from there on it doesn't load

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dylann
I stand corrected, my bad

No worries - who knows, the number of people using our app might be much bigger if it were better... :smile:
Reply 35
No worries - who knows, the number of people using our app might be much bigger if it were better... :smile:

I would ask however, if the majority of mobile site browsing is actually from mobiles or tablets? Because I know that the mobile site is hard to use on a mobile due to the small screen and the app is far more user friendly for mobiles. It just needs the ability to get quotes and tags in my mind and it would be perhaps better then the desktop site.
Original post by Aph
I would ask however, if the majority of mobile site browsing is actually from mobiles or tablets? Because I know that the mobile site is hard to use on a mobile due to the small screen and the app is far more user friendly for mobiles. It just needs the ability to get quotes and tags in my mind and it would be perhaps better then the desktop site.

In the last month it was:

48.8% mobile
10% tablet
41.2% desktop

The mobile and tablet audiences have been growing for a few years, and mobile especially. When we went mobile friendly, it did improve a lot.
Reply 37
In the last month it was:

48.8% mobile
10% tablet
41.2% desktop

The mobile and tablet audiences have been growing for a few years, and mobile especially. When we went mobile friendly, it did improve a lot.

That really surprises me, because I find the desktop site easy to use and the mobile site awful and not very attractive either.

But thank you for the info.
Original post by Aph
That really surprises me, because I find the desktop site easy to use and the mobile site awful and not very attractive either.

But thank you for the info.

It doesn't mean the mobile site's perfect, just how people are accessing TSR. Perhaps our mobile share should be more like 60-70% and would be if the mobile site were better...

I actually think the share is about right really as I know it is comparable to other youth sites. But I completely agree that it could be better. It has come a long way, as 24 months ago, people were still fiddling through the desktop site on mobile. We just need to keep going with improving the usability.
I just click on "Forums" then "Hobbies and Interests" then "Entertainment" then "Gaming" and from there on it doesn't load

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep, that's a redirect - the forum sits under Technology and computers, so if you navigate to it that way it should work.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending