The Student Room Group

Imperial Rejection Feedback

ok, so i got a letter today having requested feedback to why i was rejected without interview. In the letter they told me i had a "good application" so not amazing, but they said that they required a high BMAT score in all sections, which i failed to do (4.2,4.7,9) which is the reason i wasnt called to interview. Having read this i thought it was a fair point, but i was wondering whether this was really the case or whether i had just received a standard letter that was sent to everyone that is rejected before interview? So has anyone else asked for feedback, and what did they say? Just because if it was only my BMAT that let me down i will definitely reapply next year if i get the grades this summer.
Reply 1
It sounds like a very standard letter they send out to people. They do have many applications bear in mind, and don't have time to anaylse why each individual may have had short comings. If it was just your BMAT then redo it and get AAAA in the summer, have a nice relaxing year off perfecting your interview skills, doing any necessary resits, applying, and doing something medically related jobwise.
Reply 2
Lost_Cause
ok, so i got a letter today having requested feedback to why i was rejected without interview. In the letter they told me i had a "good application" so not amazing, but they said that they required a high BMAT score in all sections, which i failed to do (4.2,4.7,9) which is the reason i wasnt called to interview. Having read this i thought it was a fair point, but i was wondering whether this was really the case or whether i had just received a standard letter that was sent to everyone that is rejected before interview? So has anyone else asked for feedback, and what did they say? Just because if it was only my BMAT that let me down i will definitely reapply next year if i get the grades this summer.

Firstly, I'm really sorry to hear about your Imperial rejection :frown:

Re BMAT, Imperial told me (when I phoned them just after the BMAT results came out) that they used 50% in EACH section of the BMAT as a guideline to gauge who should be offered an interview (assuming that they already fulfilled the basic academic requirements), i.e. 4.5 in each of Section 1 & 2 and 7.5 in the essay section (Section 3).

Having said that though, I've noticed that Imperial appear to be placing the emphasis on Sections 1 & 2; reading med forums, you can see that those who are rejected can have fantastic TOTAL scores, but <4.5 in either Section 1 or 2 (or both). Imperial ARE interviewing people who have 6 in the essay section, but >4.5 in both Sections 1 & 2.

Why am I so interested in this...? Because I got 6 in the essay section but >4.5 in Sections 1 & 2.....and am now praying for an interview......!!!
Hi! I've been rejected without interview with an overall score of 22.6...but i got 4.1 in one section, along with 8 and 10.5...sounds like thats what they're basing it on. I've requested feedback and appealed on the basis that i was extremely ill running up to the BMAT and on the day of the test...still waiting to hear...wrote to them 02/02. what about you? xxx
Reply 4
Wow, they are impressive scores. I think its definitely worth you appealing. Im not going to because i dont really have an excuse i didnt think the BMAT was that important at the time, and i didnt revise at all for it, so i am the only person to blame. Also i think my general application is probably fairly weak so theres not much point. Good luck with yours though.
Lost_Cause
Wow, they are impressive scores. I think its definitely worth you appealing. Im not going to because i dont really have an excuse i didnt think the BMAT was that important at the time, and i didnt revise at all for it, so i am the only person to blame. Also i think my general application is probably fairly weak so theres not much point. Good luck with yours though.

whats appealing ? ive just been rejected from soton , and feel like my heart has been ripped out and fed to the dog :frown: :frown: :frown: .
whats appealing about , ive just seen 'unsuccesful' on track ? - ive hears some people get put on waiting list - how does this procedure work ?
ahhh yes southampton...rejected me yesterday on my bday!!! as far as im concerned its not really worth appealing unless you have extenuating cirmcumstances, otherwise they won't even consider it!!

As for the waiting list, most unis put ppl on a waiting list so in the summer when you get ur results, if they are AAB or AAA then I suggest you ring up and beg them for a place!!! That's what im gona do if i dont get any offers!

Sorry to hear about ur rejection...where else did u apply?!
sorry to invade this thread :p: but intellectualpartygirl your BMAT scores are v good, i think its worth a shot appealing, cos the rest of your application is so strong! cannot believe soton rejected you! their loss :smile:

im so glad i didnt apply to ucl or imperial now - i didnt cos they placed so much on the BMAT, and i thought "ooh, a bit dodgy" then went and got 6.1, 3.8 :frown: and 9, so it would have been two choices out of the window for me! i think my low score also attributed to my cambridge rejection....

erm, bit random, but does anyone think that the BMAT is a bit discriminatory if you dont do as/a level maths?! i dont and i found the science bit pretty mathsy! i know its meant to be just abouve gcse but it was hard for me! :redface:
Gilli-chan2
Firstly, I'm really sorry to hear about your Imperial rejection :frown:

Re BMAT, Imperial told me (when I phoned them just after the BMAT results came out) that they used 50% in EACH section of the BMAT as a guideline to gauge who should be offered an interview (assuming that they already fulfilled the basic academic requirements), i.e. 4.5 in each of Section 1 & 2 and 7.5 in the essay section (Section 3).

Having said that though, I've noticed that Imperial appear to be placing the emphasis on Sections 1 & 2; reading med forums, you can see that those who are rejected can have fantastic TOTAL scores, but <4.5 in either Section 1 or 2 (or both). Imperial ARE interviewing people who have 6 in the essay section, but >4.5 in both Sections 1 & 2.

Why am I so interested in this...? Because I got 6 in the essay section but >4.5 in Sections 1 & 2.....and am now praying for an interview......!!!

Your BMAT scores are fine. I got an offer from Imperial last year, with the same BMAT score as you (except 5.8 in the first section.). You havnt been rejected yet, so you will probably get an interview.
asjad_03
whats appealing ? ive just been rejected from soton , and feel like my heart has been ripped out and fed to the dog :frown: :frown: :frown: .
whats appealing about , ive just seen 'unsuccesful' on track ? - ive hears some people get put on waiting list - how does this procedure work ?

there is no appeals procedure. It's just writing a letter/ phoning / speaking to them personally, and asking them to reconsider you.

if you get put on the waiting list, then you may get a place from them, if people with offers from them dont make them a firm/insurance or people who made them a firm/insurance dont get the grades.

aparently they are sending out a rather ambiguous letter to tell you, that you are on the waiting list. since u've seen unsuccessful, it means uve been rejected.
shatteredmedic
Your BMAT scores are fine. I got an offer from Imperial last year, with the same BMAT score as you (except 5.8 in the first section.). You havnt been rejected yet, so you will probably get an interview.

Thanks so much for the encouragement :smile: I would soooo love an offer from Imperial....even an interview would be lovely....but I think I'd prefer the offer after the interview! :rolleyes:

Fingers crossed and thanks again for the positive vibes!
Appealing is challenging the decision made if you feel you have been treated unfairly. You can't just randomly do it because you got rejected, heh.
Well I would think pretty much everyone who is rejected feels they are treated unfairly.

Latest

Trending

Trending