The Student Room Group

How easy is Edexcel AFM [D2 FP3 M3 M4 M5 S4 etc.

I say easy because then I don't view it as if one would perform poorly from the outset.

Can a person who has an A in FM AS be able to get an A* in it.

Is it more about hard work and understanding and preparation then anything else.

Particularly those mechanics modules in higher depth, I hear a lot of fuss about them but from people who have done well in those modules what did you do for it etc.

And finally does everoyone who gets to these modules do STEP 1 2 3?

Regards
Reply 1
tough for a good student but ok for an exceptional student

Very rarely I get students doing AFM (I do not personally teach them D1 and D2)

these 4 recent students of mine

James, 2011, A*, A*, A* Maths at Sheffield, Rejected at Cambridge post interview

Nick, 2012, A*, A*, A* Maths at Warwick, AEA distinction, Rejected at Cambridge

Chris 2012, A*,A, A, Maths at UCL

Adrito 2013 A*, A* A, Maths at Cambridge, STEP II and III both 1
He did not do full AFM he did 16 modules so he did AS in AFM. He did not cash D1 (spare module) and did not sit in D2 and S4. We covered some S4 (t distributions) and the old M6 including a bit of University calculus.
(edited 8 years ago)
I just did AFM this year, getting the A* isnt as hard as it seems
My UMS for all 18 modules was : C1 - 95, C2 - 99, C3 - 100, C4 - 100, FP1 - 95, FP2 - 100, FP3 - 82, M1 - 98, M2 - 96, M3 - 96, M4 - 73, M5 - 78, S1 - 100, S2 - 89, S3 - 86, S4 - 92, D1 - 88, D2 - 16
So you can see there is room to mess up a few modules and still get 3A* in maths, personally i think the easiest A2 FM modules to get 90+ in are M2,S2,S3,S4,M3,FP2, I wouldn't say im exceptional at Maths too (got 1,3,2 in STEP I,II,III)
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Damien_Dalgaard
I say easy because then I don't view it as if one would perform poorly from the outset.

Can a person who has an A in FM AS be able to get an A* in it.

Is it more about hard work and understanding and preparation then anything else.

Particularly those mechanics modules in higher depth, I hear a lot of fuss about them but from people who have done well in those modules what did you do for it etc.

And finally does everoyone who gets to these modules do STEP 1 2 3?

Regards

It really depends on your ability (which you can't really judge on AS f.maths) and how much time you put into it

The only topics that I struggled with (at first, like with all maths if you put in the hours you'll get it eventually) were m4 relative motion and m5 rotational dynamics. For these topics, I would recommend looking elsewhere for materials rather than the standard edexcel textbook, eg TeeEm's website.

The A* is not hard to achieve, as modules can be mixed around (in my add further, I have the modules d1, d2, s3, fp2, m3 and something else)

I did not do any step papers
Thank you all for your advice. This is very useful, I think I have found that I need to work on my mechanics as in comparison it is a lot poorer currently then the other math types.

So it is more of a case of understanding and practice similar to the regular A Level in maths then, just to a higher standard.

Original post by TeeEm
tough for a good student but ok for an exceptional student

Very rarely I get students doing AFM (I do not personally teach them D1 and D2)

these 4 recent students of mine

James, 2011, A*, A*, A* Maths at Sheffield, Rejected at Cambridge post interview

Nick, 2012, A*, A*, A* Maths at Warwick, AEA distinction, Rejected at Cambridge

Chris 2012, A*,A, A, Maths at UCL

Adrito 2013 A*, A* A, Maths at Cambridge, STEP II and III both 1
He did not do full AFM he did 16 modules so he did AS in AFM. He did not cash D1 (spare module) and did not sit in D2 and S4. We covered some S4 (t distributions) and the old M6 including a bit of University calculus.

Original post by Davothebigafro
I just did AFM this year, getting the A* isnt as hard as it seems
My UMS for all 18 modules was : C1 - 95, C2 - 99, C3 - 100, C4 - 100, FP1 - 95, FP2 - 100, FP3 - 82, M1 - 98, M2 - 96, M3 - 96, M4 - 73, M5 - 78, S1 - 100, S2 - 89, S3 - 86, S4 - 92, D1 - 88, D2 - 16
So you can see there is room to mess up a few modules and still get 3A* in maths, personally i think the easiest A2 FM modules to get 90+ in are M2,S2,S3,S4,M3,FP2, I wouldn't say im exceptional at Maths too (got 1,3,2 in STEP I,II,III)

Original post by Gome44
It really depends on your ability (which you can't really judge on AS f.maths) and how much time you put into it

The only topics that I struggled with (at first, like with all maths if you put in the hours you'll get it eventually) were m4 relative motion and m5 rotational dynamics. For these topics, I would recommend looking elsewhere for materials rather than the standard edexcel textbook, eg TeeEm's website.

The A* is not hard to achieve, as modules can be mixed around (in my add further, I have the modules d1, d2, s3, fp2, m3 and something else)

I did not do any step papers
Long time no see, Damien :tongue:
Reply 6
Thank you all for your advice. This is very useful, I think I have found that I need to work on my mechanics as in comparison it is a lot poorer currently then the other math types.

So it is more of a case of understanding and practice similar to the regular A Level in maths then, just to a higher standard.

Yes :smile:
Reply 7
If you're doing it instead of some other A-level, then you should be able to do quite well.

C1-4 should be straightforward for you, since it normally is for further mathematicians too.
S1-4 should be too; S1/S2/S3 are the easiest maths modules around, and S4 isn't that much harder.
D1-2 are easy, and are principally about memorising algorithms which aren't that hard to remember anyway.

Here's the harder modules:
M1 and M2 should be okay if you're good at mechanics. M3 is a turning point where it gets much harder and M4 and M5 are genuinely difficult modules which require a lot of thinking.

FP1 is easy, FP2 and FP3 should both be okay. Notable harder chapters in FP2 are complex numbers and in FP3, it's probably coordinate systems. (I don't think vectors are that hard in FP3).

In short, M4 and M5 are the most difficult modules, followed by FP3 and FP2. Everything else should be a dawdle if you're taking AFM.
Original post by Gome44

Thank you for your posts. Just stalked your profile, those ums scores are very impressive. You will ace oxford :biggrin:

Original post by Imperion
Long time no see, Damien :tongue:

It has indeed been a long time.

Same ***** in the relationship sub-forum posting their bull**** gg.

Original post by Alex:
If you're doing it instead of some other A-level, then you should be able to do quite well.
C1-4 should be straightforward for you, since it normally is for further mathematicians too.
S1-4 should be too; S1/S2/S3 are the easiest maths modules around, and S4 isn't that much harder.
D1-2 are easy, and are principally about memorising algorithms which aren't that hard to remember anyway.

Here's the harder modules:
M1 and M2 should be okay if you're good at mechanics. M3 is a turning point where it gets much harder and M4 and M5 are genuinely difficult modules which require a lot of thinking.

FP1 is easy, FP2 and FP3 should both be okay. Notable harder chapters in FP2 are complex numbers and in FP3, it's probably coordinate systems. (I don't think vectors are that hard in FP3).

In short, M4 and M5 are the most difficult modules, followed by FP3 and FP2. Everything else should be a dawdle if you're taking AFM.

I have covered all the content except from fp3,d2,m3(all),m4,m5.

From my many tsr posts in recent times, almost finished fp3 hyperbolic identities.

I find m2 really hard even in comparison to fp2/c4/s3 etc.

M3 links with my physics quite well. Do you have any good advice for the mechanics modules please especilally m2-m5. Thank you.
Original post by Gome44

Those grades, bruh :adore: How did you find doing 5 A levels? Did it make it easier that they were (maybe) correlated?

Nice to see you back :biggrin:

Spoiler

Reply 10
Those grades, bruh :adore: How did you find doing 5 A levels? Did it make it easier that they were (maybe) correlated?

Yeah, but my ums scores were only good for maths (For A2 at least). Ended up devoting no time to economics (probably why I got 60/100 and 67/100 this year in my two econ papers, luckily I did well at AS so I scraped an A (hated econ anyway, but my Asian parents wouldn't let me drop a subject :frown: )). Didn't do much work for A2 physics either but got a solid A so can't really complain.

Maths certainly helped for physics, not for econ though (infact, I think I got the really easy maths question in my econ papers wrong lol)
Original post by Gome44
Yeah, but my ums scores were only good for maths (For A2 at least). Ended up devoting no time to economics (probably why I got 60/100 and 67/100 this year in my two econ papers, luckily I did well at AS so I scraped an A (hated econ anyway, but my Asian parents wouldn't let me drop a subject :frown: )). Didn't do much work for A2 physics either but got a solid A so can't really complain.

Maths certainly helped for physics, not for econ though (infact, I think I got the really easy maths question in my econ papers wrong lol)

Well, can't have been that bad if you got an A :lol: LMAO Seriously? Why? :laugh:
Reply 12
Thank you for your posts. Just stalked your profile, those ums scores are very impressive. You will ace oxford :biggrin:

I have covered all the content except from fp3,d2,m3(all),m4,m5.

From my many tsr posts in recent times, almost finished fp3 hyperbolic identities.

I find m2 really hard even in comparison to fp2/c4/s3 etc.

M3 links with my physics quite well. Do you have any good advice for the mechanics modules please especilally m2-m5. Thank you.

I personally haven't done M5, but with M3, you just had to do a LOT of questions to appreciate what they can throw at you.

Kinematics in M3 is easy.

Elastics can be difficult, but just remember the difference between a SPRING and a STRING. Also, figure out a foolproof way to formulate the work-energy principle. Lots of people have different ways, I like change in kinetic energy is the sum of the change of potential energy. Figure out your way, and stick to it.

Dynamics contains three sections. Variable force is generally quite easy, because it is confined to one dimension. Gravitation kinda comes under this section as well, and is generally easy once you get the hang of it. The first section of SHM is straightforward formula memorisation, but the second part with strings/springs can get tricky. Again, learn the difference between a string and a string and also learn how to formulate SHM questions with 2 strings vertically or horizontally.

Circular motion - again, work energy principle needs applying. Work out the method you are most comfortable with. As long as you do plenty of questions, this should not be a problem.

Statics - same above, do questions.
Reply 13
Well, can't have been that bad if you got an A :lol: LMAO Seriously? Why? :laugh:

I ended up with 320/400 (borderline A, I've updated my profile with all my ums if you want to stalk)

It's because my sister did 4 A levels, so naturally I had to do 4. They didn't seem to understand that I was also doing additional further :/
Original post by Gome44
I ended up with 320/400 (borderline A, I've updated my profile with all my ums if you want to stalk)

It's because my sister did 4 A levels, so naturally I had to do 4. They didn't seem to understand that I was also doing additional further :/

No, I'm not gonna stalk :pierre:

Spoiler

Ah okay. Can I just ask, why didn't you apply to Cambridge? :tongue:
Reply 15
No, I'm not gonna stalk :pierre:

Spoiler

Ah okay. Can I just ask, why didn't you apply to Cambridge? :tongue:

Thought I wouldn't be able to do STEP at the start of year 12 (although in hindsight I think I could have made the 1,1 offer), also had too many exams (16 this year), so didn't want two/three extra.

Anyway, I think oxford is a much nicer city than cam, and I live quite close to Ox, so if I ever need my mum to do my laundry I can just hop on the bus!
Original post by Gome44
Thought I wouldn't be able to do STEP at the start of year 12 (although in hindsight I think I could have made the 1,1 offer), also had too many exams (16 this year), so didn't want two/three extra.

Anyway, I think oxford is a much nicer city than cam, and I live quite close to Ox, so if I ever need my mum to do my laundry I can just hop on the bus!

Ah okay. Oh? Never been to either cities and I'd be applying as an international student so I don't know anything about them :lol: That's lucky as hell :biggrin:
Reply 17
Ah okay. Oh? Never been to either cities and I'd be applying as an international student so I don't know anything about them :lol: That's lucky as hell :biggrin:

Are you applying for maths? Everything in oxford is close by which is what I like (it feels more homely), whereas cambridge is more spread out. This site is quite good to get a feel of oxford: http://www.chem.ox.ac.uk/oxfordtour/ :smile:
Original post by Gome44
Are you applying for maths? Everything in oxford is close by which is what I like (it feels more homely), whereas cambridge is more spread out. This site is quite good to get a feel of oxford: http://www.chem.ox.ac.uk/oxfordtour/ :smile:

No, I'd be applying for economics. :tongue: Ah thanks for that, that site really helped.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending