The Student Room Group

Which other unis to apply to for English?

So far I've got

Cambridge
Durham
UCL
-----
-----
I'm thinking of Nottingham, St. Andrews,Exeter, York and Bristol in particular. Can't choose which one for 4th

Should I choose something safer as a 5th?
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses. :redface:

I'm going to quote in Tank Girl now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :h: :yy:

Spoiler

Hello- I've moved this to the English forum now :smile: Good luck making your choice :smile:
Original post by Big Blue Machine
So far I've got

Cambridge
Durham
UCL
-----
-----
I'm thinking of Nottingham, St. Andrews,Exeter, York and Bristol in particular. Can't choose which one for 4th

Should I choose something safer as a 5th?

Do you like the courses for the unis you've listed as potential fourth options? Think about which one you like best - have you also been on open days to them? I went and really liked Bristol and Nottingham, so I'm applying to those two for sure.

I'd probably pick a safer fifth option if I were you but it's your choice :smile:
Currently my top 3 choices are the same as yours and I was just wondering what brought you to choose them?

I'm also looking at King's College London and St Andrews, and I've been told York and Warwick are very good for English also.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Manchester looks good for English.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Hey! I'm currently going into my third year of studying English Literature at the University of Essex. I'm not sure if you've already looked at Essex as a choice for studying English Lit?

I have really enjoyed studying English at Essex so far, the teaching and lectures are great and really engaging, the teaching staff are some of the nicest I've ever had while studying English and there is so much flexibility on the course so you can really shape your course around what you enjoy.

For example, I took a module in my second year that was specifically grounded around US Literature and I really enjoyed it so that's something that I've taken further in my third year in choosing a module on Post War United States Fiction.
It's not as "prestigious" as some since its new, but i can't stress how good the University of Gloucestershire was to me for BA (Hons) English Literature. All my friends got 2.1's and a couple of firsts, the uni have been ranked #19 and #16 over the last couple of years by the guardian, the campus is beautiful and the lecturers are highly qualified (i'd say nearly all are either oxbridge or russell). 10/10

By 2020 that uni will be going places. Something holding it back in league tables people don't take into account is just that there aren't loads of subjects there

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending