The Student Room Group

How do you get over awful failure?

I just finished year 13 and got my A-level results. It wasn't what I was expecting...not even close.

I'm resitting some modules- even some AS which shocked me- privately this year at a centre. I'm going to have tuition only once a week and then pretty much study on my own.

I literally am feeling so depressed and I've been crying for around 3 days lol. I honestly feel so guilty and I know I have another chance, but it is excruciating to think I need to re-learn stuff that I should have done when I had the chance.

HOW DO I GET OVER IT

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by aneducation
i just finished year 13 and got my a-level results. It wasn't what i was expecting...not even close.

I'm resitting some modules- even some as which shocked me- privately this year at a centre. I'm going to have tuition only once a week and then pretty much study on my own.

I literally am feeling so depressed and i've been crying for around 3 days lol. I honestly feel so guilty and i know i have another chance, but it is excruciating to think i need to re-learn stuff that i should have done when i had the chance.

How do i get over it

i feel the exact same way man i got cce now im just sitting here depressed
Original post by ss1400
i feel the exact same way man i got cce now im just sitting here depressed

Are you resitting? If so, how and what?
Reply 3
Are you resitting? If so, how and what?

i got an offer from i uni but im still considering retaking probably at a private place
i'd need to retake 7 exams
“Success is stumbling from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm.”- Winston Churchill
It's absolutely understandable to feel that way, but the fact that you're even resitting is amazing. I know it will be hard to see your friends going off to university and you will feel sad for a while, but try and motivate yourself- do you have an ideal course? Or a dream university? See this year as a year to excel and set your sights firmly on the place you want to be, treat yourself to new stationary as such and if you haven't already - get yourself a job. At the end of this year you're going to have a reservoir of savings, and you're going to get that offer and meet it! This is a new year, fresh start, make goals and see this time as an opportunity!!

*Hugs* It WILL get better!!
Original post by ss1400
i got an offer from i uni but im still considering retaking probably at a private place
i'd need to retake 7 exams

If you want to go to a better Uni and do a better course, one year won't hurt from your entire life. :smile:
Original post by Eux
“Success is stumbling from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm.”- Winston Churchill

True. The loss of enthusiasm is very real ATM though! It has only been 3 days, literally feels like salt on wound to read about my friends going to Oxbridge & Med school
Original post by Charletitia
It's absolutely understandable to feel that way, but the fact that you're even resitting is amazing. I know it will be hard to see your friends going off to university and you will feel sad for a while, but try and motivate yourself- do you have an ideal course? Or a dream university? See this year as a year to excel and set your sights firmly on the place you want to be, treat yourself to new stationary as such and if you haven't already - get yourself a job. At the end of this year you're going to have a reservoir of savings, and you're going to get that offer and meet it! This is a new year, fresh start, make goals and see this time as an opportunity!!

Thank you so much. This has helped a lot. <333
Reply 9
You have to breathe and remember that if you dont get over it then it'll totally affect everything you do this following year and you'll end up regretting it again next year and probably feel worse than you do rn. You dont want that to happen. You have the opportunity to change things and you can do it and you will do it...provided that you let go of the past. So forget about it bc what's done is done and no matter how much you think about it or think about all the possible scenarios that couldve occured it wont make a difference. Its the future that'll make up your success so that's where you need to try and focus. Have some Ice cream, read a book, watch a film, step outside of your house and get some fresh air. Dont hurt yourself by spending time thinking about whats happened, instead do things that'll make you forget. Then when youre certain you wont break down over the possible mention of "results" you can decide how youll spend the following weeks preparing for school or something. Hopefully you'll be able to put it behind you- it should be there for a reason and also hope you feel better soon. :hugs:
I can sympathise, I was in the exact same positon and I failed to of my AS and passed the other two however they school were being absolute knobheads and said I couldnt retake or do my other two AS's that past. So I failed, got kicked out of school, lost the time with my friends, and also fell out with my crush. It was horrible and harsh, I was crying to I was looking at other schools looking for a way out. Then I went to college and I was very reluctant to go as I wanted to stay in school and college had a bad reputation. So then what happend I went to college and met new people, my tutor was really good too as he knew I was going through a bad time. The more I spoke to new people I got over it.

I knew exactly how your feeling, for me all my friends had passed and were ready go into A2 and uni, I had to leave them behind and carry on. Its a slow process what it is, basically realise you tried and put all of your effort in and tried which is what mattered. But now since I failed I had that drive and the 'no ****ing about' attitude to do well, thats how I got over it, I really wanted and needed to get the grades. Going to college was a great experience and I met some great people. Life has its ups and downs. I failed my A levels and now I have graduated uni with a 2.1. But use the mentality like I said now you would want to work harder and smash i the next time.

Dont know if your into the rock or WWE but watch this, this is how I felt and got over it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aq7zOfXpk_E.

Quote me back :smile:
Just get you head down and work your arse off, I greatly improved my grades from jan exams in year 12 to the summer ones. (I think you guys dont do jan exams anymore?).

Whats happened has happened, stop dwelling on your poor grades and just focus on smashing the exams you do next. :yy:
Original post by Charletitia

I think I'm going to print this out LOL. I re-read this and it's actually made this situation less sad. Thanks buddy<3

I don't know whether to get a part time Monday-Friday job which I have an interview for, or just decline it. I was supposed to be on a gap year anyway, but not resitting anything originally.

I have a Saturday job which is 9-3, but I don't know if I should spend the rest of my week studying & sorting out everything? Or if I should get a job & earn money and study around my schedule.
I think I'm going to print this out LOL. I re-read this and it's actually made this situation less sad. Thanks buddy<3

I don't know whether to get a part time Monday-Friday job which I have an interview for, or just decline it. I was supposed to be on a gap year anyway, but not resitting anything originally.

I have a Saturday job which is 9-3, but I don't know if I should spend the rest of my week studying & sorting out everything? Or if I should get a job & earn money and study around my schedule.

Haha, no problem!<3 Just think, without the schedule/constraint of college the world is your oyster to plan and achieve! Go for the interview, even if you want to decline it afterwards, it's very good practice!

If you're happy with your job, that's fine, if you want to earn more, maybe try and find a job were you can chose your hours or only work one or two days of the week. Study will be important but hopefully you will find it easier because you will be able to cement your knowledge, after all you've already done a year! You'll be able to do all the past papers back to back, you'll be very ready the time exams come.

Try and say to yourself I will study this many hours a week- I highly suggest finding a work space e.g a library as this will make it more likely for you to do the work if you say 'I will go the the library/classrooom for these hours every week'.
Reply 14
Awww we're basically in the same position :,)
I didn't achieve the grades I wanted either. I thought that they didn't reflect my true ability and understanding of the subject.

I'm going into school next Thursday to speak to my Head of Year to discuss further options as at the moment I haven't got a clue of what to do other than to resit.

I'm having my English paper remarked but I have a horrible feeling the grade won't improve because that exam was horrific and I came out in tears.

If I do get the chance to resit, I'll be resitting English and hopefully fast tracking Media Studies in a year (some people pretty much did the whole of A-level English Language and Literature again in a year so it can be done)
I usually just accept the fact it's my fault and then try harder next time.
I am asking the same question
Original post by Eux

Love it when I hear a relevant quote from someone I actually respect
I seem to have unlimited reps. I hold the power to (1) people's day :colone:

Quick Reply

Latest