The Student Room Group
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website

Which Halls should I apply for?

Hi!
I'm starting at Reading in September, but I have yet to apply for my accommodation as it was my insurance choice. I've been looking at some of the halls online but I'm really unsure as to which ones would be best for me (I'm aware I probably won't get my first choice, but for application purposes this would be useful.)

Ideally I'd like to be in self-catered halls close to campus with a friendly and sociable atmosphere. Not too fussed about en-suite/shared bathroom arrangements, its just got to be relatively cheap!

I've heard some nightmareish stories about uni halls so if anyone could give me any advice it would be much appreciated.

See you at Freshers :smile:
If youre willing to pay extra, mackinder/stenton/childs are very socialable and on campus. It can get noisy as people love to party here, if thats your thing. I dont have much experience with the others tbh. Theres greenow and mccombie, but its quite small and i found it dull as hell (which was good for me as i stayed there in final year). These halls are close to lecture halls though, and a university bar.

St georges looks good, although some rooms seem a bit old. Or theres benyon etc where i think the rooms are newer, about 10/15 minute walk to lectures and close to shops and the gym. (Same for st georges tbh)

No idea about the others lol.
(edited 8 years ago)
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Lord Samosa
If youre willing to pay extra, mackinder/stenton/childs are very socialable and on campus. It can get noisy as people love to party here, if thats your thing. I dont have much experience with the others tbh. Theres greenow and mccombie, but its quite small and i found it dull as hell (which was good for me as i stayed there in final year). These halls are close to lecture halls though, and a university bar.

St georges looks good, although some rooms seem a bit old. Or theres benyon etc where i think the rooms are newer, about 10/15 minute walk to lectures and close to shops and the gym. (Same for st georges tbh)

No idea about the others lol.

I like the look of Childs, I don't think I'll mind a bit of noise as its only my first year and I'll enjoy the partying but I'll probably want somewhere quieter later on if I'm still on campus. Thank you! :smile:
Original post by ImogenWM
Hi!
I'm starting at Reading in September, but I have yet to apply for my accommodation as it was my insurance choice. I've been looking at some of the halls online but I'm really unsure as to which ones would be best for me (I'm aware I probably won't get my first choice, but for application purposes this would be useful.)

Ideally I'd like to be in self-catered halls close to campus with a friendly and sociable atmosphere. Not too fussed about en-suite/shared bathroom arrangements, its just got to be relatively cheap!

I've heard some nightmareish stories about uni halls so if anyone could give me any advice it would be much appreciated.

See you at Freshers :smile:

Hello!

Great to hear that you'll be starting at Reading in September. Reading was my insurance choice too and whilst it is true that you might not get your first choice, everything is bound to all work out!

The Park group halls are well situated on campus and have a lively environment. Rooms have been updated in Wessex hall by the lake and they even have a new bar and a small cinema! Bridges hall is also by the lake is very new. At the same time don't be put off by the older halls. They are all kept in good condition with some parts having been updated. Looking at the older halls could save you some money.

Also if you do end up with catered halls like I did then it could work out really well for you. I stayed in Windsor hall and had the most amazing time. The food was pretty good and it just meant I didn't have to worry about cooking at all!

I hope this has helped, feel free to ask any more questions!
Pip, English Literature :smile:
Reply 4
I graduated from Reading this summer and stayed in 2 different halls in 1st and 3rd year.

I stayed in Stenton hall in first year and it was great. Very lively, everyone was friendly and there's always something going on. You'll be safe picking Stenton/mackinder/child's on this regard. The rooms are great and you've also got an en suite. Comes at a price though.

3rd year was my favourite, I stayed in Stenton townhouses. You have 12 people per house (unlike 8 in the other halls), and also have a spacious kitchen and lounge. The other halls don't have lounges which can be annoying. It's also cheaper than the other halls. You share a bathroom between you and one more person, but it's really not an issue. Slightly cheaper than the other halls too. It's also just as lively as the other park group halls.

Would definitely recommend Stenton townhouses. Returners tend to pick these halls instead of living off campus, so it can be hard to get a spot.

Quick Reply