The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by spotify95
Cool! :smile:

Btw, did you manage to understand, via that link, just how large Graham's Number is? You have to take it step by step, and even once you've got to about the 3rd step, the numbers are far too big to calculate (I mean, anyone's guess what 3^[7 trillion] is?)

Then you get to G1, which is so big you can't even write it in the universe. It's bigger than a google. It's bigger than a googleplex. It's bigger than the amount of atoms you can fit in the universe. And after which, you get G2, G3 etc up to G64, which is Graham's Number.

I'd like to see James_W actually calculate what G1 is, and then use that number to calculate G64! :biggrin:

Let's go on his forum and ask him! :yep: :biggrin:
Original post by pinkteddyx64
Let's go on his forum and ask him! :yep: :biggrin:

Well you can, but I'm not, as I don't want to be disconnected!

P.S. Virgin Media sent us a letter yesterday, and I thought it could have possibly been a disconnection of some sort (even though I had done nothing wrong!) but the letter was actually to do with them advertising a new phone and tablet deal.

I wouldn't choose it though, because of the company in general, and that they don't officially let you tether. I'd be using EE or 3 if I had the choice, probably 3 because they do AYCE data on 3G and they also throw in 4G too. :smile: EE are still good, in fact I was very impressed by their 4G speeds, but they don't do unlimited data and their data tariffs are too heavily priced.
Well you can, but I'm not, as I don't want to be disconnected!

P.S. Virgin Media sent us a letter yesterday, and I thought it could have possibly been a disconnection of some sort (even though I had done nothing wrong!) but the letter was actually to do with them advertising a new phone and tablet deal.

I wouldn't choose it though, because of the company in general, and that they don't officially let you tether. I'd be using EE or 3 if I had the choice, probably 3 because they do AYCE data on 3G and they also throw in 4G too. :smile: EE are still good, in fact I was very impressed by their 4G speeds, but they don't do unlimited data and their data tariffs are too heavily priced.

Even if I do it will be on someone else's connection! :biggrin:

Next time I read anything about a country having better 3G and 4G coverage than we do can I put a brick through James_W's front window to vent my frustration? :unimpressed:
Even if I do it will be on someone else's connection! :biggrin:

Next time I read anything about a country having better 3G and 4G coverage than we do can I put a brick through James_W's front window to vent my frustration? :unimpressed:

That'll result in the other people getting either a warning, suspension or disconnection from James Watson himself! :frown:

Yes, please do, and throw a brick at him and accuse him and his house! :biggrin:
That'll result in the other people getting either a warning, suspension or disconnection from James Watson himself! :frown:

Yes, please do, and throw a brick at him and accuse him and his house! :biggrin:

Better them than us! :yep: :biggrin:

But then they may accuse you of getting them disconnected from Virgin Media! :frown:

Why is James_W so serious about this stuff anyway? Any other forum and they wouldn't bat an eyelid, though SDMB have threatened to take action against us. :frown:
9933 to go
Original post by GrandMasti
9933 to go

:lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well I've just gone onto an online calculator, that apparently, has no overflow error (i.e. can't cope with big numbers). Apparently, this calculator can deal with numbers as high as 10↑↑(1010) (that's some sort of power tower).

However, to get to G1 (for Graham's number), you have to do this:

3 ↑↑↑ (3 ↑↑ 7,625,597,484,987)

Well I tried working out what 3↑↑(that 7 trillion odd number) and it was massive, but it somehow calculated that number.

But I haven't resolved this bit:

3 ↑↑↑ (that massive number, which if you wrote out how high the tower was, would touch the Sun from the Earth's surface.)

I tried that operation with two arrows and the calculator gave me an overflow error! :frown: So imagine how big G1 is, which requires the three arrows calculation!

And that's just G1. If you read the link I gave you about reaching Graham's number, getting to G2 (and then Graham's number, which is G64) is a nightmare especially if you can't work out what G1 is!

Um... a few things:
a) How can we even work out what Graham's Number is?
b) What type of supercomputer, or super calculator, would be required to even work out G1 (let alone G64!)?
c) How much would such technology cost? Can we bill James_W for it all?
Who can we sue for this online calculator not being able to calculate large numbers?
d) Can we make James_W try and calculate what Graham's number is?
e) Can we make James_W give us free internet access and free mobile phone contracts (with truly unlimited data and EE's 4G too) until he can calculate the exact value of Graham's number?
But then they may accuse you of getting them disconnected from Virgin Media! :frown:

Why is James_W so serious about this stuff anyway? Any other forum and they wouldn't bat an eyelid, though SDMB have threatened to take action against us. :frown:

But they didn't exactly specify the exact action they would take against us did they? :wink:
But they didn't exactly specify the exact action they would take against us did they? :wink:

Did you get the same vBulletin message as I did? The one about 50 infractions between the both of us? (And for the record, I have not got 50 infractions on SDMB, nor have you, nor have both of us combined. What were they even on about? :rolleyes:)

SDMBYou have been banned for the following reason:
Stop being an idiot, [spotify95] . You and [assumed pinkteddyx64] have over fifty infractions here between the two of you. Neither of you will ever be allowed to post here. Stop making up new names before we do more than just ban your account and delete your posts.Date the ban will be lifted: Never

You're right, they didn't say what they would do, but isn't it a bit concerning as to what they could do? :frown: And why don't they want either of us to post? :frown:

That forum is a joke and they are treating us unfairly!
(edited 8 years ago)
Did you get the same vBulletin message as I did? The one about 50 infractions between the both of us? (And for the record, I have not got 50 infractions on SDMB, nor have you, nor have both of us combined. What were they even on about? :rolleyes:)

SDMBYou have been banned for the following reason:
Stop being an idiot, [spotify95] . You and [assumed pinkteddyx64] have over fifty infractions here between the two of you. Neither of you will ever be allowed to post here. Stop making up new names before we do more than just ban your account and delete your posts.Date the ban will be lifted: Never

You're right, they didn't say what they would do, but isn't it a bit concerning as to what they could do? :frown: And why don't they want either of us to post? :frown:

That forum is a joke and they are treating us unfairly!
No, just the trolling and spam excuse.
Well I've just gone onto an online calculator, that apparently, has no overflow error (i.e. can't cope with big numbers). Apparently, this calculator can deal with numbers as high as 10↑↑(1010) (that's some sort of power tower).

However, to get to G1 (for Graham's number), you have to do this:

3 ↑↑↑ (3 ↑↑ 7,625,597,484,987)

Well I tried working out what 3↑↑(that 7 trillion odd number) and it was massive, but it somehow calculated that number.

But I haven't resolved this bit:

3 ↑↑↑ (that massive number, which if you wrote out how high the tower was, would touch the Sun from the Earth's surface.)

I tried that operation with two arrows and the calculator gave me an overflow error! :frown: So imagine how big G1 is, which requires the three arrows calculation!

And that's just G1. If you read the link I gave you about reaching Graham's number, getting to G2 (and then Graham's number, which is G64) is a nightmare especially if you can't work out what G1 is!

Um... a few things:
a) How can we even work out what Graham's Number is?
b) What type of supercomputer, or super calculator, would be required to even work out G1 (let alone G64!)?
c) How much would such technology cost? Can we bill James_W for it all?
Who can we sue for this online calculator not being able to calculate large numbers?
d) Can we make James_W try and calculate what Graham's number is?
e) Can we make James_W give us free internet access and free mobile phone contracts (with truly unlimited data and EE's 4G too) until he can calculate the exact value of Graham's number?

Sue Stephen Hawkins for the calculator issue. :yep:

Yes, we can bill James_W for it all. :yep:

Yes, we can do all the other things you suggested. :yep:

:cool:
No, just the trolling and spam excuse.

Well in which case how comes I was unfairly targeted and got such a nasty message? Was it because I sent them an email to enquire about my @princechromey account?

P.S. I edited that message to make both of us anonymous as I don't want our real names showing on the boards. :yep: :yy:
Well in which case how comes I was unfairly targeted and got such a nasty message? Was it because I sent them an email to enquire about my @princechromey account?

P.S. I edited that message to make both of us anonymous as I don't want our real names showing on the boards. :yep: :yy:

I really don't know.

By the way have you ever watched this? https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hey_Arnold!
Sue Stephen Hawkins for the calculator issue. :yep:

Yes, we can bill James_W for it all. :yep:

Yes, we can do all the other things you suggested. :yep:

:cool:

Also, if the calculator won't work with very large numbers, how are we supposed to calculate Graham's number? :frown:

Good, James_W will definitely regret what he has done to us! :smile:
I really don't know.

By the way have you ever watched this? https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hey_Arnold!

Nor do I - so I have given up with that board. Do what you will with it.

I can't seem to recall watching that. :sadnod:
Nor do I - so I have given up with that board. Do what you will with it.

I can't seem to recall watching that. :sadnod:
It's just that there is a certain character on that show that you remind me of! :h: :yep:
It's just that there is a certain character on that show that you remind me of! :h: :yep:

Oh okay! :biggrin: I probably didn't realize...

Btw, Yahoo Answers has somehow got some Korean Spam! :biggrin:

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20150818091504AAfx3ti
Yeah I think we may only reach 9k :danceboy:

Latest