The Student Room Group

Politics extra reading for personal statement

I'm currently writing my personal statement to apply for a Politics and International Relations course in the next few months. I was just curious to see if anyone has any recommendations for good extra reading relevant to a politics course. let me know:smile:
Reply 1
Original post by daisycooper
I'm currently writing my personal statement to apply for a Politics and International Relations course in the next few months. I was just curious to see if anyone has any recommendations for good extra reading relevant to a politics course. let me know:smile:

World Order by Henry Kissinger

Read it this summer as summer reading for King's College London's International Relations course. Readable yet quite academic.

Hope this helped,
Derek
Original post by daisycooper

It depends on what parts of politics you're interested in.

Theory: the basic ones to start with are Machiavelli, Aristotle, Rousseau, Marx
Science and contemporary issues: Klein, Chomsky, Owen Jones

Find your area of interest so you're reading because you enjoy it, otherwise it will get boring! :smile:
Reply 3
Given that Piketty's solution to inequality is a global tax, I'd say Capital in the 21st Century is a pretty good book for Politics & IR and it's hella interesting too even if you just wanna read it for fun

In terms of political philosophy; Marx's theory of state, Dahl's concept of polyarchy, Weber's explanation of the modern state as deriving from rational-legal authority. Also interesting: Bakunin as the 'author' of the anarchist concept of state abolition. Hegel for being Marx's biggest influence and his belief that statehood constituted 'the end of history'. Sorry that's all a bit traditional, I don't know much about contemporary polphil and/or post-statehood.

Also, another really interesting book, Popper's Open Society..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending