The Student Room Group

My journey to a full planche

Hello everyone
I am posting this thread in order to track my progress on my quest to completing a full planche. I've read tons of information on the move itself, the progressions and what it takes to pull it off. I've found out that the four main progressions are:

frog stand

advanced frog stand

tuck planche

straddle planche

After reading up on these and preparing myself, I feel I'm finally ready to do it! :dumbells:
If you want to see my stats and other info, here's the link: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3504733
I'm 15 years old and aim to do this by my next birthday (6th of June, so I have under a year, which I guess is enough), so wish me luck and feel free to ask me anything or even give me advice :tongue:
I may post everyday (or not), depending on my progress and my availability but I will let you know how it goes.

Today is day 1 (16th August):
I've started practising the frog stand and I'm doing the basic one, where you use your knees to help support your weight. I can just about get myself off the ground, but I can't hold it. I also need to work on my balance, because at one time I fell forward and hit my head on the floor :tongue: Don't worry, I'm ok though and still able to practise. Alongside my training, I'm doing various kinds of push-ups (like pseudo push-ups) to help develop my overall strength and flexibility.
(edited 8 years ago)
You're better off posting this in the fitness blog section. There's much more of a training community in there than this wretched place.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Days 2/3 (17th/18th August):
I can hold myself up for about a second or two, so I'm making progress.
My pseudo push-up set has also grown from about 5 push-ups to 8 push-ups.
Firstly, this should be in the fitness blog section, not fitness.

Secondly, good-luck with your goal but I think you need to realistic- you stand absolutely no chance of attaining a full planche by june 6 from your current strength level. Its an incredibly challenging move that will almost certainly take years if you ever even get there!
Get yourself to Christopher Sommer's site.
Reply 5
Original post by In One Ear
Firstly, this should be in the fitness blog section, not fitness.

Secondly, good-luck with your goal but I think you need to realistic- you stand absolutely no chance of attaining a full planche by june 6 from your current strength level. Its an incredibly challenging move that will almost certainly take years if you ever even get there!

I don't really know where the fitness blog section is :s-smilie:

I kind of agree, I may not be able to do a full planche by then, but maybe at least a straddle planche, even if I could just hold it for 5 seconds :tongue:
I'm still going to work towards it no matter how hard I have to work :colonhash:
Reply 6
Ok, it's been about a week now and my balance has improved quite a bit. To the point where my arms are naturally wanting to straighten out in the frog stand. However, I'm not moving on the advanced frog stand yet. I have checked out Christopher Sommer's GymnasticBodies site and it's pretty cool. However, you can only access some of the tutorials and courses by purchasing them, so that's out of the question :colonhash:
Nevertheless, I'm getting better and I can definitely tell I'm making gains.
Moved to fitness blogs
Reply 8
Original post by Angry cucumber
Moved to fitness blogs

Ok, where is fitness blogs?
Original post by Guy123
Ok, where is fitness blogs?

right here

edit: for some reason my picture isn't showing... hmm
Reply 10
right here

Oh yeah, I just realised, thanks :tongue:
Reply 11
right here

edit: for some reason my picture isn't showing... hmm

If you mean the cucumber one, I can see it :smile:
Reply 12
It's now been thirteen days (29th August) and I'm still improving :biggrin:
My balance is getting better and so is my breathing, so on average I can hold the frog stand for about 10 seconds now :smile:
Reply 13
A little bit over two weeks now (2nd September). I've just found out a way to help me with frog stand, which is to put the hands a little bit wider than shoulder width apart, rather than directly shoulder width apart. Apparently it's supposed to help later on when you start moving your knees higher up the triceps and eventually into advanced frog stand. It does actually help a bit, I can hold the position longer.
One other thing I'm doing is working my core by practising the L-sit, which is a great abs exercise. It's actually not that hard if you've already got a fairly strong core and abs. The abs are flexed quite a lot in frog stand so I'm hoping this exercise will help me progress even further.

Quick Reply

Latest