The Student Room Group

Anyone here doing pure night shifts?

I am doing them, and I can't stand them. I have been doing a night cashier job at a petrol station for 3 weeks now, and it has messed me up.

Its from 11pm to 7am, and when I get home I am quite awake, so I stay up til about 8am, then I fall asleep. I wake up at about 3, am Im completely knackered. So when I go to work im a wreck!

And the worst thing is my days off. I do a 4 on, 2 off pattern and in my 2 days off I try and get back into a routine and it means im tired for 2 days solid when im supposed to be having time off, and then when the day comes to go back to work I am so tired and the other day I was an hour late for work as I literally just fell asleep in the chair.

Its silly, and I don't know how to solve it. I am looking for another job but its taken long enough to get one in the first place, so Im going to stick with this until I get a new one (hopefully that won't be too long!). Thankfully I'm on a gap year and so this only has to last until July but its still a horrible way to work (leaving aside the fact that my job is god awful anyway). :frown:

Anyone else doing purely night shifts, and how do you cope?
Not doing pure nights, we work on a rotating pattern, usually day night sleep.
I try and get some sleep in the afternoon before a night and sleep until about 1400 the next day, so if I was on a double night it would be sleep until 1400 ish, up for some scran and do anything needed like nip into town, back to kip 1600-1800 then into work 1900-2000, work through until 0800 then back and sleep. Rinse and repeat.
Nights aren't for everyone, one of my mates is quiting because it seriously messes them up.
I also have DVD/radio/late night dross on the TV to occupy me, and the student rooms of course....
Reply 2
Yeh it messed me up too much, so I have gotten a new job. Happy now. :smile:
Reply 3
Did it not help the cash flow though, for double time stunts?

Latest

Trending

Trending