The Student Room Group

Are there actual human beings who use the term "cis gendered" IRL?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Odd socks
the term cis as contrasting with trans has existed for ages, it's used commonly in chemistry

LATIN gcse lol

:biggrin:
Reply 81
Original post by blackened_sky
Oh I know what people perceive it as, I just wanted them to explain to me how anything I said was related to tumblr. Don't even use the site.

I think dismissing conversation/debate about these topics as "you're just a SJW" or "Go back to tumblr" is more damaging to society than what people on here suggest tumblr is.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that, observing SJWs is something of a hobby and there are few things more damaging to society than their behaviour. HOWEVER I do agree that strawmanning an argument and dismissing it is crappy.
Reply 82
Original post by cole-slaw
I'm sorry you have been battling this illness and I wish we knew a way to cure it. Statistically, physical surgery probably won't help.

Your sex is your sex and you can't change it. If you wish to reject your gender, go right ahead, but physical alterations aren't going to impact on that.

This, a thousand times. It won't make you feel better.

Original post by Apocrypha
From my experience, cisgendered is how people whom are transgender refer to straight people who dont think theyre the opposite sex.

And the self-loathing sound of mind.
Reply 83
Do people who exist use real words that also exist? Hmm toughie

'CIS' is a byword for cutting off a debate, the clichéd que for any feminist/liberal douchebag who - rather than engage in a conversation with their opponent - resorts to ad hominem insults that are no proof of integral privilege.

You can be white, male and poor at the same time. But that is apparently not underprivileged enough, even if you're begging on the streets.
Reply 84
Original post by Evening
'CIS' is a byword for cutting off a debate, the clichéd que for any feminist/liberal douchebag who - rather than engage in a conversation with their opponent - resorts to ad hominem insults that are no proof of integral privilege.

You can be white, male and poor at the same time. But that is apparently not underprivileged enough, even if you're begging on the streets.

Original post by Evening

Firstly, when people talk about White privilege, they mean White-middle-class privilege. Secondly, ethnic minorities in this country are more likely to be arrested and stopped and searched than white people, and they get harsher sentences for the same crimes as white people.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by asmuse123
Firstly, when people talk about White privilege, they mean White-middle-class privilege. Secondly, ethnic minorities in this country are more likely to be arrested and stopped and searched than white people, and they get harsher sentences for the same crimes as white people.

Posted from TSR Mobile

really? don't let his bull**** corner you into saying something irresponsible and flat out wrong.

white privilege is for white people at any socioeconomic level. that's the whole point of saying "white...privilege."

It's popular to say that beggars many times got themselves there or aren't as down and out as they advertise or a very unique situation, that can't really be seen as a standard cause for homeless, placed them to be homeless; as it won't be a standard reason...there won't be a standard solution, hence the rate of homelessness that there is even in the "civilised" western world. I don't think homelessness has anything to do with the economy in UK, US, and countries alike. It's all to do with bad choices. There are penniless migrants who find a place, so why are you a citizen and begging in the tubes?

What I'm getting at is, homelessness and race don't go together because it's often circumstantial. Jump in if you think I'm wrong. If you are reasonable and see a seemingly destitute tramp of any race, you might generate the same ideas: get up, clean up, wise up. Simply. However, in my opinion, if you see a white homeless man next to a coloured homeless person or a homeless youth, I'm sure the levels of sympathy would vary. Why? Because if that white homeless man were to "get up, clean up, wise up," or hadn't got addicted to drugs, or had a higher standard for living, or had some place to go after getting released lol, he'd be in a better spot than a black man in the same equation. Seeing (in this country) homeless white, black whatever people piss me off because it's like "what did you do to get here? What happened? :colonhash:"

But seeing a white man beg is even more comical like "really?"

It's fallacious and manipulative to point to homelessness and say, ah...are whites that privileged after all? Yes they are. A white chav and a black thug, all that white boy has to do is enunciate his words and read a bit more and learn how to knot a tie. A black thug can clean up all he wants to and still is subjected to discrimination. So white privilege is not limited to middle classed white.
Original post by Evening

That has nothing to do with the original question
Reply 88
Original post by lyrate
I'm sorry you've had bad experiences, but you're wrong. Cis (not CIS, it isn't an acronym) is simply the opposite of trans. It's used to discuss gender identity - it's concise and clear. There's nothing insulting in the word at all.

The opposite of trans is normal. It doesn't need a prefix.

Posted from the TSR app - no updates since 2013!
Reply 89
Original post by Man.bear.pig
really? don't let his bull**** corner you into saying something irresponsible and flat out wrong.

white privilege is for white people at any socioeconomic level. that's the whole point of saying "white...privilege."

It's popular to say that beggars many times got themselves there or aren't as down and out as they advertise or a very unique situation, that can't really be seen as a standard cause for homeless, placed them to be homeless; as it won't be a standard reason...there won't be a standard solution, hence the rate of homelessness that there is even in the "civilised" western world. I don't think homelessness has anything to do with the economy in UK, US, and countries alike. It's all to do with bad choices. There are penniless migrants who find a place, so why are you a citizen and begging in the tubes?

What I'm getting at is, homelessness and race don't go together because it's often circumstantial. Jump in if you think I'm wrong. If you are reasonable and see a seemingly destitute tramp of any race, you might generate the same ideas: get up, clean up, wise up. Simply. However, in my opinion, if you see a white homeless man next to a coloured homeless person or a homeless youth, I'm sure the levels of sympathy would vary. Why? Because if that white homeless man were to "get up, clean up, wise up," or hadn't got addicted to drugs, or had a higher standard for living, or had some place to go after getting released lol, he'd be in a better spot than a black man in the same equation. Seeing (in this country) homeless white, black whatever people piss me off because it's like "what did you do to get here? What happened? :colonhash:"

But seeing a white man beg is even more comical like "really?"

It's fallacious and manipulative to point to homelessness and say, ah...are whites that privileged after all? Yes they are. A white chav and a black thug, all that white boy has to do is enunciate his words and read a bit more and learn how to knot a tie. A black thug can clean up all he wants to and still is subjected to discrimination. So white privilege is not limited to middle classed white.

Hahahaha

"I know, I'll temper my opinion and put it in a more palatable way so that maybe I can convince some people who differ from me to see the situation in a different way. Besides, it's obvious that white hobos aren't really benefitting from privilege"

"That's not crazy and orthodox enough, don't you see? The white homeless are privileged because they could totally get a job instead of a black person if they'd get up off their lazy cracker asses and actually make an effort."

Madness

Original post by jape
Hahahaha

"I know, I'll temper my opinion and put it in a more palatable way so that maybe I can convince some people who differ from me to see the situation in a different way. Besides, it's obvious that white hobos aren't really benefitting from privilege"

"That's not crazy and orthodox enough, don't you see? The white homeless are privileged because they could totally get a job instead of a black person if they'd get up off their lazy cracker asses and actually make an effort."

Madness

Speak like an adult. What is it that you're saying?
Reply 91
Original post by lyrate
That kind of attitude is why we use it. If the opposite of trans is "normal", we're abnormal, deviant, wrong.

Either way, it helps for communication. There are times when I need to distinguish between a trans woman and a cis woman -- if I just say "woman", it refers to them both.

Concise language helps discussion. I don't see why you'd be against a word existing.

It is abnormal. Deviant and wrong are subjective, but it's definitely abnormal.

I'm against the word existing because it endorses and validifies a mental condition as an alternative lifestyle.

Original post by lyrate
That kind of attitude is why we use it. If the opposite of trans is "normal", we're abnormal, deviant, wrong.

Either way, it helps for communication. There are times when I need to distinguish between a trans woman and a cis woman -- if I just say "woman", it refers to them both.

Concise language helps discussion. I don't see why you'd be against a word existing.

The more correct, concise accurate term is SMGF or similar.
Original post by lyrate
Even after Googling this, I can't find any way it relates to gender - whereas cis comes up right away.

Its not a popularity contest.

The "trans" terminology is often confusing. IF you say trans-woman, do you mean SMGF, SFGM, or some other combination where gender is rejected altogether?
Original post by lyrate
That's how language works, though? Most people use cis- and trans-, they're the dominant terms. If you want to be clear, go with the established terminology, surely?

A trans woman is a woman who was designated male at birth.They're a woman who is trans, so that means they identify as female. Like I said, I don't know those acronyms, so they're kind of wasted on me. Trans terminology isn't actually that confusing if you pay attention to context. I'll admit that there is a lot of politics in it, and different groups can prefer different terms, but it's all contextual and not that difficult to follow.

Out in the real world, most people have never heard of the word "cis" at all, and think trans is short for transvestite and means a bloke in drag.

Whereas if you simply explained that someone was SMGF (sex male, gender female) ie someone who was born a man but identifies as a woman, then everyone would know exactly what was going on, and would be far less likely to say something ignorant or offensive.

You can't blame people for saying ignorant things when you use deliberately confusing terminology that people don't understand. Its like you're trying to bait them into offending you.
Original post by lyrate
This is the real world. My friends - even my straight cisgender ones - use cis- and trans- prefixes when discussing this kind of thing. It's actually remarkably simple. You're right, though! Most people have an incredibly narrow-minded idea of what being trans is, which is part of the reason why we dictate our own terminology. I'll admit that it can be awkward and clunky at first, but I don't see why trans people should change their behaviour when it is society that has the issue with us.

I don't appreciate the idea that the terminology I choose to use is deliberately confusing - or confusing at all. A trans woman is a woman who is trans. A trans man is a man who is trans. This is an easy concept to grasp. I will admit that this can be confusing for uneducated people, but I think that overcoming that confusion can go a long way in educating people.

I appreciate that your acronyms are concise, but I've never seen them used - the closest I've seen is AFAB / AMAB (assigned male/female at birth), which is something used in the trans community. The fact is that cis- and trans- are the terms that are used and they work for most purposes.

I'm backing out of this conversation now.

I'm just saying, if you're SMGF and are introducing yourself to strangers as a trans-woman, you must be awfully bored of arguments/scepticism as to whether you are, indeed, actually a woman.
Original post by cole-slaw
Out in the real world, most people have never heard of the word "cis" at all, and think trans is short for transvestite and means a bloke in drag.

Whereas if you simply explained that someone was SMGF (sex male, gender female) ie someone who was born a man but identifies as a woman, then everyone would know exactly what was going on, and would be far less likely to say something ignorant or offensive.

You can't blame people for saying ignorant things when you use deliberately confusing terminology that people don't understand. Its like you're trying to bait them into offending you.

"Whereas if you simply explained that someone was SMGF"

If you're going to the effort of making up acronyms that have to be explained anyway, why not just explain cis and trans, which are the words the people who understand it use.

"You can't blame people for saying ignorant things when you use deliberately confusing terminology that people don't understand." You are literally making up acronyms that people don't understand.
Reply 97
Original post by you_decide
Where did the term CIS some from or is it an abbreviation for something?

Does it basically mean non-straight?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's essentially the majority of earths population but there seems to be a need now to create a word for everything

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Wade-
but there seems to be a need now to create a word for everything

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, that's how language works
Reply 99
Yes, that's how language works

No it isn't. Language evolves naturally, this is completely synthetic and most people won't like or care about it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending