The Student Room Group

Am I over-reacting?

Last year when I was applying for university. I had chosen my firm and insurance choices. I had one more offer that had not been made so I declined it. Around May I received an offer through email from the uni that I had declined saying that I had an offer for 240 UCAS points and even if I didn't get it I'd still get in. I thought it was quite odd so I researched the lady that emailed me and she infact was an admissions officer. She asked me what qualifications I was studying and I told her.

I really really didn't want to give up my firm and insurance to go into extra but it was for less points and the area was cheaper. I eventually declined my offers and went into clearing instead. She said I could apply then so I waited until results day. I don't know but she seemed off. She kept signing off her emails with x or a smiley face. The day before results day I called to double check that they would take my qualifications and I was rudely told that they do not. On results day I called into clearing like she had told me to. I spoke to the course leader and he was very nasty. I kept saying that on the website they said they take my qualification but he said that they don't. He didn't even let me state my grades and said he couldn't give me an offer. I cried for ages as I thought I wouldn't get into uni.

I deleted all of her emails so have nothing to stand on unless she's investigated. But I feel robbed in a way. I had to settle for less when infact I could've avoided her email and gotten into my firm. Am I over-reacting or is it a form of misconduct?
over-reacting.
She played you son
Reply 2
No its totally acceptable to be angry, but if someone was signing their emails off with kisses and smiley faces then I wouldn't believe it. That's really unprofessional and would freak me out tbh.
Reply 3
Original post by NOONA.
No its totally acceptable to be angry, but if someone was signing their emails off with kisses and smiley faces then I wouldn't believe it. That's really unprofessional and would freak me out tbh.

Yes but she was actually a member of staff, I still have her name and her email address is still in my contacts. My mum thought it was quite strange as well but as it was the university so I overlooked it. I've been thinking about it since and I keep getting angrier.
Reply 4
I'm so sorry that happened to you, that sounds awful. You should probably get that looked into, though, as I am 100% sure that that was not the correct course of action for the university to take. You could possibly sue them for that.

And no, you're not overreacting at all. *hugs* That sounds horrible and if it were me I'd be all kinds of upset and no doubt furious right now. I hope you still get a place at a university, good luck!
Reply 5
Original post by Roxirin
I'm so sorry that happened to you, that sounds awful. You should probably get that looked into, though, as I am 100% sure that that was not the correct course of action for the university to take. You could possibly sue them for that.

And no, you're not overreacting at all. *hugs* That sounds horrible and if it were me I'd be all kinds of upset and no doubt furious right now. I hope you still get a place at a university, good luck!

Thank you! Reading this made me feel better. I probably could but there's no point. I have a place already but it wasn't where I wanted to go. Anyway I'll just forget about it just needed to know if I was indeed overthinking the situation.
Reply 6
Original post by MissOvoxo
Thank you! Reading this made me feel better. I probably could but there's no point. I have a place already but it wasn't where I wanted to go. Anyway I'll just forget about it just needed to know if I was indeed overthinking the situation.

Any time, friend. :smile: Good luck with your new uni course, in that case, and best wishes for the future!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending