The Student Room Group

Personal statement writing - Mathematics BSc HELP!!

I need help getting started with my personal statement; it needs to be incredible. My university choices are University of: Warwick, Bristol and Birmingham (Keeping an open mind about the other two places). I'm looking for tips, advice and ways to stand out from the crowd. Any help is greatly appreciated. It would also be nice to hear from other people in my situation.
P.S I'm going from As to A2
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by JPencil
I need help getting started with my personal statement; it needs to be incredible. My university choices are University of: Warwick, Bristol and Birmingham (Keeping an open mind about the other two places). I'm looking for tips, advice and ways to stand out from the crowd. Any help is greatly appreciated. It would also be nice to hear from other people in my situation.
P.S I'm going from As to A2

Try reading lots of PS and seeing what they do wrong when they start (e.g. they always start off with something like "I have always been passionated about...").

Try structuring your PS by writing out the questions you'll answer within each paragraph. The way I structured mine is kind of like this:
-Intro: a quick intro on what I think Maths is, why it interests me
-1st paragraph: what interests me about maths? Why?
-2nd paragraph: what skills do I have which makes me a good candidate?

https://www.dur.ac.uk/resources/undergraduate/apply/personalstatement/personal%20statement%20approved%20by%20TLC.pdf

Quick Reply

Latest