The Student Room Group

Advice regarding access course

I want to apply for pharmacy with an access course in science as I don't have A levels (I got suspended from sixth form college). However, that was a few years ago. Even though I won't start applying for universities until this September, I have been looking around for places that I want to attend. However, some unis require AAA at a level or in this case 60 credits at distinction level, which is still doable.

Update: I've been offered a conditional place on the course (at the University of Manchester) but I'm having second thoughts as to whether Pharmacy is really for me.

Are there some good alternatives to Pharmacy? The career prospects for MPharm students is quite bad now and will continue to get worse. I still want to study a science-based degree but job security is also very important to me. These are my backup choices (if i change my mind):
1. Chemistry
2. Nursing
3. Optometry

I'm still a bit undecided on which career path to take, would appreciate any advice.
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi Sanaz. Most universities would ask for a grade C or even a B in GCSE maths for pharmacy. Your English and science grades should be enough. You may be able to take GCSE maths alongside your Access course.

The maximum number of credits you can now get at distinction on an Access course is 45, so if the universities' websites specify 60, they are out of date, and you would need to clarify the situation with the admissions officer. For pharmacy, some universities ask for more than the standard 15 credits in chemistry, so you will need to find a college that offers an Access pathway suitable for pharmacy, and then double-check with your target universities whether it meets their requirements. Best of luck.
Hey I completed an access to pharmacy and biomedical science earlier this year. As schadenfreude said the maximum level of credits at distinction is 45. My course was also quite chemistry heavy so we had over 20 credits of chemistry may be worth having a look for a similar course. We also did modules in pharmacy ie how common drugs work etc.

Good luck! And if you want anymore information feel free to ask :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
I heard there's a lot of chemistry in pharmacy and I'm taking modules in biology, and maths as well. I like biology but I'm not that keen on chemistry or maths. Do you think I still have a chance of getting into pharmacy? Thanks for your help.
If you're not keen on chemistry, perhaps you need to think more about why you actually want to do pharmacy, and whether another health-related degree might not suit you better. However, maybe your lack of enthusiasm for chemistry is a result of having poor teachers at school. You may find that you enjoy it more on an Access course.

If you haven't already seen it, this TSR article about pharmacy might be useful to you: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=15901-pharmacy-degree
Reply 5
Original post by Sanaz94
I want to apply for pharmacy with an access course in science as I don't have A levels (I got suspended from sixth form college). However, that was a few years ago. Even though I won't start applying for universities until this September, I have been looking around for places that I want to attend. I know that some unis require AAA at a level or in this case 60 credits at distinction level, which is still doable.

Update: I've been offered a conditional place on the course (at the University of Manchester) but I'm having second thoughts as to whether Pharmacy is really for me.

Are there some good alternatives to Pharmacy? The career prospects for MPharm students is quite bad now and will continue to get worse. I still want to study a science-based degree but job security is also very important to me. These are my backup choices (if i change my mind):
1. Chemistry
2. Nursing
3. Optometry

I'm still a bit undecided on which career path to take, would appreciate any advice.

Can you give me some advice please??
Reply 6
Original post by Schadenfreude65
If you're not keen on chemistry, perhaps you need to think more about why you actually want to do pharmacy, and whether another health-related degree might not suit you better. However, maybe your lack of enthusiasm for chemistry is a result of having poor teachers at school. You may find that you enjoy it more on an Access course.

If you haven't already seen it, this TSR article about pharmacy might be useful to you: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=15901-pharmacy-degree

Can you give me some advice please on what to do?
Original post by Sanaz94
Can you give me some advice please on what to do?

First off, congratulations on getting an offer. If you're really unsure, you may be able to defer your offer for a year, to give yourself time to think about it. Maybe you could get some insight by shadowing professionals in the fields that appeal to you. I'm not sure how you would go about this - maybe just phone them and ask?
Reply 8
Original post by Schadenfreude65
First off, congratulations on getting an offer. If you're really unsure, you may be able to defer your offer for a year, to give yourself time to think about it. Maybe you could get some insight by shadowing professionals in the fields that appeal to you. I'm not sure how you would go about this - maybe just phone them and ask?

I will do, thank you so much!
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending