The Student Room Group

Which Uni is in the friendliest city?

Hello, due to me wanting to become a maths teacher, the Uni that I go to doesn't really matter too much as I just need a degree to become one.
So I want to go to a Uni that I'll enjoy and have fun at on campus and in the city.
I was wondering what city's are very friendly and fun to be in.
How did you find it, what is there to do near campus, and how easy was it transitioning from campus to city accommodation?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
im at manchester uni and the vicinity of the campus is just beyond shocking; really low standard, high crime rates, high poverty, lots of homeless people around. its very sad
been robbed at knife point,
not safe to walk around on your own
Reply 2
Original post by wwelol
im at manchester uni and the vicinity of the campus is just beyond shocking; really low standard, high crime rates, high poverty, lots of homeless people around. its very sad

Unfortunately that is what many large cities in the UK are like
Original post by wwelol

Really? Because that's the exact opposite of what I experience whenever I go to Manchester...
Original post by wwelol

You've been robbed at knife point??
Original post by KommunistCake
Really? Because that's the exact opposite of what I experience whenever I go to Manchester...

He has them red gems for a reason.
Reply 6
Original post by legzgo9
Unfortunately that is what many large cities in the UK are like

Manchester, Newcastle etc. are mainly pretty rough / poor cities
Original post by Jay_Gatsby123
Hello, due to me wanting to become a maths teacher, the Uni that I go to doesn't really matter too much as I just need a degree to become one.
So I want to go to a Uni that I'll enjoy and have fun at on campus and in the city.
I was wondering what city's are very friendly and fun to be in.
How did you find it, what is there to do near campus, and how easy was it transitioning from campus to city accommodation?

My individual experience of Liverpool has been great :smile:
Pretty much every scouser I met was friendly and funny - one guy who was walking towards me on Lord street had the same jumper as I did, I had no idea who he was, but we both laughed at the joke xD

Hull and Manchester have been good as well :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Jay_Gatsby123
You've been robbed at knife point??

put a knife on my chest, told me and my m8 to empty our pockets
lost our phones
not a nice feeling
the area around manchester uni is deprived, go there and drive around the campus, and you will understand
Reply 9
Original post by callum_law
He has them red gems for a reason.

means nothing
just giving my opinion m8 of what ive experienced
do u even go university?
Original post by wwelol
means nothing
just giving my opinion m8 of what ive experienced
do u even go university?

Yeah, mate. But do you think that since I have already observed you're a troll that I am gonna get sucked into this?
Original post by legzgo9
Manchester, Newcastle etc. are mainly pretty rough / poor cities

Newcastle isnt that rough.
I'm going uni of sheffield and thats been rated the safest large city in the UK, and people call it the largest village in the world bcus of how friendly the locals are, Thats what the Uni said anyway. theres also a great nightlife with loads of students
(edited 8 years ago)
Kent Uni seemed very quaint and nice when i visited
Original post by wwelol

I go past Manchester uni everyday, doesn't seem like that to me :/
Been at Sheffield for a year and yet to have had a single problem
Anyone from UCL would like to come forward and share their experiences? It's london, probably less friendly compared to the north, and high crime rates in the centre
I'm going to Coventry and I've heard a mix of things but the general consensus is that if you stay within the university area and don't go into the rougher areas outside of the uni area and at the edges of the city then you'll have a decent night out. I have a friend there this year and she's said the night outs aren't too expensive and the students are usually all up for a laugh - there's Birmingham nearby for a night out too with late trains going. It's ranked highly for student experience and the best for student development, too.
Original post by Chung224

I've heard differently myself but maybe he was that rare pillock to get mugged and so violently as well. It happens you know.
Original post by Chung224

In my opinion I don't agree with what the other post said about people being robbed/mugged at knifepoint. I just find that Manchester seems a little rough and whenever I visit, the people are just rude to me

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending