The Student Room Group

Anyone else resitting A Levels (Year13)?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by peanutbutterjam
Physics, hopefully at Bath or Liverpool :h:
What about you?

Optometry probably at Bradford.
But i'm so scareddddddddd of this new curriculum. I've checked out AQA's specimen paper for both Biology and chemistry and oh my god.
Original post by do_odle
Optometry probably at Bradford.
But i'm so scareddddddddd of this new curriculum. I've checked out AQA's specimen paper for both Biology and chemistry and oh my god.

I've just looked at the specimen papers for chemistry too, there are multiple choice questions and I don't like it :frown:
Reply 22
Original post by peanutbutterjam
I've just looked at the specimen papers for chemistry too, there are multiple choice questions and I don't like it :frown:

They're not easy multiple type questions and for 1 mark as well probably take at least 6 minutes to work out.
Reply 23
I should have got A*AA but I got ABD
What a shock
Anyway I really can't myself going to a random university to do a a random course for the sake of it so I would want to resit as an external student.

Whats everyone saying about the exams changing? So when I resit will be the same?
Original post by Tomasio
Got DDE in my A levels:frown: Retaking as a private candidate.
How does everyone on here plan to spend their days? I plan to on working maybe 3 or 4 days a week to keep me sane as much as anything and fill the rest of the time with private tutoring and studying...
Just noticed that the AQA Biology specification is changing, does this mean I wont be able to retake any AS modules???!!!!

Everyone who's resitting seems to be doing it as a private candidate but me :/

We can still retake the AS modules under the specification we were taught in because the year below us still have to continue with that spec so are allowed to resit. I've heard that this last exam under the old spec shouldn't be too hard because they can't really mess everyone's results up as there will be no more resits after that. Hopefully that's a sign of hope!
Original post by Miso77
I should have got A*AA but I got ABD
What a shock
Anyway I really can't myself going to a random university to do a a random course for the sake of it so I would want to resit as an external student.

Whats everyone saying about the exams changing? So when I resit will be the same?

Aw I'm feeling the same as you. There's no point going to a uni or doing a course that you don't want. It's just a waste of money really with uni being expensive within itself and you'll be stuck in it for 3 years at the very least.

And yeah our resits will be the same because the year below us are given the opportunity to resit. Would you never consider resitting the year as a full time student instead of external?
Original post by Kmohazeb
I originally wanted to study law at soas, but I have now planned on studying a different course at a different uni. Probably international relations at kcl. This is going to be one stressful year

Aw yeah, nothing is ever easy but at least this year is just revision for us as there's no further learning involved. Anyways, good luck in whatever you choose to do! :smile:
Reply 27
Original post by naomi288
Everyone who's resitting seems to be doing it as a private candidate but me :/

We can still retake the AS modules under the specification we were taught in because the year below us still have to continue with that spec so are allowed to resit. I've heard that this last exam under the old spec shouldn't be too hard because they can't really mess everyone's results up as there will be no more resits after that. Hopefully that's a sign of hope!

Oh yeah I had not thought of that, you have no idea how much I am praying that your right lmao.
What subjects and results are you resitting?
Also, how are you planning to stay motivated through the year as you see all of your friends leave home?
Basically the year ahead just looks totally depressing rn.
I should have gotten A*AA but got BBB :frown: have exten. circumstances, got AAAD at AS, so might as well not have turned up for year 13 due to my health during exams. So upset, but life goes on. Retaking will be good for me, clear my head etc. I could have gone to uni but turned down the opportunities of clearing because I've always been an excelling student (soz, not being vain), so I wanted to retake the year just to get my grades up and prove myself as I have done in the past.
Reply 29
Aw I'm feeling the same as you. There's no point going to a uni or doing a course that you don't want. It's just a waste of money really with uni being expensive within itself and you'll be stuck in it for 3 years at the very least.

And yeah our resits will be the same because the year below us are given the opportunity to resit. Would you never consider resitting the year as a full time student instead of external?

When I called ucas exam results helpline, they found me places at Aberdeen and Swansea. But in all honesty I'd rather not go than go there. Not saying there is anything wrong with them if anyone is going. But they are just not for me. I always aim high and believe I can reach it. True and my engineering courses at 4 years minimum. I want to be happy and not look back like if only I had taken that chance to make myself happy. It's hard because it's of my friends are going to uni but it's definiely not about them.

No way would I go back to school. I think that is where I lost my motivation tbh. I love my subjects and course content. But in school it felt monotonous and the way it was taught I just didn't enjoy it. Only enjoyed my economics teachers' teaching. As an external student I can look for work experience, a job, maybe persue some things I've always wanted to do on the side such as my YouTube channel (sounds silly but yeah haha) and my clothing business. Are you going back as an internal student?
Original post by Tomasio
Oh yeah I had not thought of that, you have no idea how much I am praying that your right lmao.
What subjects and results are you resitting?
Also, how are you planning to stay motivated through the year as you see all of your friends leave home?
Basically the year ahead just looks totally depressing rn.

Yeah I agree, it's going to be depressing but I'm just gonna keep my head down hopefully and work hard because this is the very last chance I'll get. I will have no more friends at my sixth form but I'll just have to live with it and make new friends :/

And I'm resitting all my subjects which I got BBD in. I'm only really disappointed with my D grade but as I'm taking a year out, I fear universities may ask for higher grades the next time round for when I reapply to uni. So I might as well aim higher with my other subjects too. How about you?
Original post by Miso77
When I called ucas exam results helpline, they found me places at Aberdeen and Swansea. But in all honesty I'd rather not go than go there. Not saying there is anything wrong with them if anyone is going. But they are just not for me. I always aim high and believe I can reach it. True and my engineering courses at 4 years minimum. I want to be happy and not look back like if only I had taken that chance to make myself happy. It's hard because it's of my friends are going to uni but it's definiely not about them.

No way would I go back to school. I think that is where I lost my motivation tbh. I love my subjects and course content. But in school it felt monotonous and the way it was taught I just didn't enjoy it. Only enjoyed my economics teachers' teaching. As an external student I can look for work experience, a job, maybe persue some things I've always wanted to do on the side such as my YouTube channel (sounds silly but yeah haha) and my clothing business. Are you going back as an internal student?

I completely see where you're coming from and totally agree with everything you say. I too got a couple of uni's offering me places but they're not for me and I'm set to aim high too!

I also only enjoyed my economics lessons and hated my biology lessons which isn't ideal as it's the subject I need to improve in the most. How did you do in economics?

So yeah, I'll returning as an internal student because it's what my parents want. Life doesn't look good at the moment with no friends or anything for when I return. Also I don't really want to see my teachers because I feel ashamed and disappointed in myself.

For you, getting work experience sounds great and will sure enhance your application to uni. This year out hopefully won't go too bad as it's just a year of revision really as we're not learning anything new.
Reply 32
How will the reforms effect retakes?

I will possibly be having a gap year, and if so then I want to do AS further maths and A2 economics, as well as retaking a unit from A2 maths.

Will this be possible with the new A level reforms??
Reply 33
I came out with CDE for my A-Levels, i was getting places through clearing but didn't want to go uni just for the sake of it or just because all my friends were going.

Im taking a gap year and externally retaking some modules (through my college) - I won't have to go back for lessons or anything, just revise myself at home and go in for the exams :smile:, i'd rather get a good set of A-Levels than go university with really bad ones.

I'm going to try and find a job and save up and go uni the year after! :h:
Reply 34
basically Im wondering- all those of u who are resitting but as a private candidate, why choose this option because isnt this more expensive when u could just go back to sixth form and do it for free?

also, for thos resitting at sixth form or college but not as a full time student- how come ur sixth form or college allows u to just come in at the end and retake some exams as mine doesnt as I asked about this (obvs I would rather study at home then retake the exams come june) :/

i could ofc go to uni this year but i'd rather go next year to do a course im happy with (currently found places in clearing at wolverhampton and coventry but not really interested to do them)
Reply 35
I completely see where you're coming from and totally agree with everything you say. I too got a couple of uni's offering me places but they're not for me and I'm set to aim high too!

I also only enjoyed my economics lessons and hated my biology lessons which isn't ideal as it's the subject I need to improve in the most. How did you do in economics?

So yeah, I'll returning as an internal student because it's what my parents want. Life doesn't look good at the moment with no friends or anything for when I return. Also I don't really want to see my teachers because I feel ashamed and disappointed in myself.

For you, getting work experience sounds great and will sure enhance your application to uni. This year out hopefully won't go too bad as it's just a year of revision really as we're not learning anything new.

I hope the year is fufiling and people that aim to reach their full potential always do; even if it's not that first time around! Yeah I loved ECON lessons, found the course harder but a good kind of hard - I ended up with a B but my target grade was an A* but I panicked in ECON 3 when I saw privatisation and that exam went pear shaped and I got a D on that module.
What did you get in ECON? And your other subjects?

I'm sure you'll be fine as a internal student. You'll get everything taught again so things you understood, you can really reinforce and things you didn't you can finally get. I would hate to see my teachers too and I had some friends in lower sixth so them too. But I'm sure the embarrassment/ disappointment will go away after the first few days and as you get into school.

What course will be applying for? And where?
Original post by Miso77
I hope the year is fufiling and people that aim to reach their full potential always do; even if it's not that first time around! Yeah I loved ECON lessons, found the course harder but a good kind of hard - I ended up with a B but my target grade was an A* but I panicked in ECON 3 when I saw privatisation and that exam went pear shaped and I got a D on that module.
What did you get in ECON? And your other subjects?

I'm sure you'll be fine as a internal student. You'll get everything taught again so things you understood, you can really reinforce and things you didn't you can finally get. I would hate to see my teachers too and I had some friends in lower sixth so them too. But I'm sure the embarrassment/ disappointment will go away after the first few days and as you get into school.

What course will be applying for? And where?

Well I got a B overall in economics but I wanted an A. I only scraped a B in both Econ 3 and 4 having gained exactly 70 ums marks in each of them so I'll be resitting both of them units. If you did aqa, I didn't choose the privatisation question as I panicked on that too! I thought unit 4 went a lot better than what I achieved so it came as a disappointment. I also have a B in maths and then a D in biology.

And I originally applied to do accounting at Newcastle but these few days have made me realise I don't want to do that anymore. Ever since the start, I've never really been sure about what career I want and till this day I'm still indecisive. Yeah so I'm still deciding on the uni course I want to apply for next year. How about you? Where do you want to go and to do what?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Good luck guys!

Out of interest, if you're just sitting exams as a private candidate, are you splitting up your time between subjects and being strict with yourself to revise from home? Are you going to work too?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I might resit my B in maths for closure. I feel like I could do better . :wink:
Can I resist modules/units at my college. I recently found out my as level results and I'm not happy. I achieved BCCD in psychology,history,sociology and biology. I want to retake a module in edexcel biology which I got a D in would I be able to because I don't want to resit a whole year.

Quick Reply

Latest