The Student Room Group

GAP year Vs UNI?

I am going to be applying for unis this year however I am not to sure on the career path I want; therefore I am concerned I will be going to uni for the sake of it. This has lead me to considering taking a GAP year out to be a chalet host and hopefully it would give me time to decide for the future.
Do I take a GAP year?
Should I still apply for UNI?
I would recommend taking your time with choosing a course to study if you aren't certain what career path you are interested in.

I went straight to uni and after graduating, couldn't find work in my sector as the number of people studying way exceed the number of jobs. So I'm about to become a student again, this time in Nursing in a career that I want to do and has work waiting for me at the end.

On the other end my sister took her time, as like you, she didn't know what she wanted to do so spent her time working until choosing. Now she's working towards getting into university to study her chosen course and she knows it is something she wants to do.

People don't look into it very much but I think it should be said more; ~Have you looked into apprenticeships? There are other options available other than university and maybe the career you find yourself interested in is one that an apprenticeship would serve better.

There is literally no hurry though -some people start studying well into their thirties and forties and have the backing of lots of valuable life experience behind them.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
If you choose to take a gap year, are the options the same as they would have been if you didn't take the gap year? As in, university and apprenticeships. Also, can you spend longer than a year on your gap year? finally, how do you fund your gap year?

Quick Reply

Latest