The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

Birkbeck or Newcastle?

*this is going to be a bit long*
I'm primarily planning to study politics at the undergraduate level. At Birkbeck I'll be majoring in 'Global Politics and International Relations' or 'Politics and History' at Newcastle University.

The problem is that I see pros and cons for myself at both universities.
Although I'm 21, I don't feel like I'll be particularly comfortable studying with mature students at Birkbeck. I don't mind classes being in the evening but I would like to have a proper university feel; spending time on campus, friends etc. I'm not planning on working but if I do choose Birkbeck that'll free up my day to either gain experience related to my field or pursue a foreign language program. I'm from overseas so I feel that I might not have any social circle at Birkbeck and London is more expensive. However, what I like about Birkbeck is that it is prestigious, has a great faculty of my department, is part of the University of London (that might help in securing a position at LSE, KCL or SOAS for Master's) and is located in London at the hub of the political sphere. Plus I could even pay my fees in monthly installments.

Newcastle on the other hand seems to have a higher ranking on paper; on both the QS ranking and according to the Department of Politics league table. Newcastle is a proper university with societies, a great campus and a proper university feel. It might be cheaper than London. However, I'm not sure if it really is better than Birkbeck for Politics and more prestigious, or is it just because Birkbeck is not often ranked in the same way as other universities. I looked through the faculties of my departments at both universities and it seemed that Birkbeck's had better qualifications.

So, which university is better? At which could I fit in easily? Which has a better Politics program and department? For people in the UK which is more prestigious?

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending