The Student Room Group

How would you feel if you had a gay roommate in university?

Hello everyone,

I applied for accommodation today. I wanted uncatered and ensuite. However, the only way to do this was to have a roommate, which I am completely ok with.

However, I am gay. I just hope that he will not feel unconfortable and it will not be awkward between us. Would you guys be unconfortable in your own room if you were sharing it with a gay guy?

Scroll to see replies

I wouldn't give a ****.
Why are you asking us? It's going to be about whether your room-mate is homophobic or not :smile:
don't care
Nope (although that might have been predictable).
Though I doubt I would have had I been heterosexual either.
I would't give a flying **** tbh :smile:
I still find the prospect of room sharing in the UK absolutely weird, oh well.

I doubt they'll care, you'll just have to have the lovely conversations about when you need some down time. If you get what I mean. I mean I may need to nudge you and wink at you IRL for you to get what I mean...
tbh you don't have to exactly advertise your sexuality anyway, in that I'd probably find it more odd if my roommate introduced himself in the style of "Hi my name is X, I'm gay, hope that's okay" lol. Act as you would normally, when you discuss relationships at some point, you discuss your boyfriend, or if single, sexuality in general.
I'd be fine with it.

I know what it's like to have a room-mate anyway, and it wouldn't have made a difference to be honest.
The only thing I wouldn't want - and I think I would say this to any roommate - is for them to have any kind of sex/kissing/etc in the room, and to take it over to the other person's place (because chances are they have their own room).
Surely you dont have to disclose whether your gay or not unless the conversation comes up?

It wouldnt bother me tbh, its not like just because you're gay you're going to try and **** every guy you see. :lol:
(edited 8 years ago)
Nah that would really weird me out, if I had a choice it would be a no 100% of the time.

Even if they weren't stereo-typically gay, like they were just normal but liked men, I'd find it so hard to get along. If they ever mentioned it I'd just cringe, mates always gotta be wing-men for each other, couldn't do that :biggrin: :biggrin:
I wouldn't care, but I think I'd go out of my way to try and not offend you :s. I know some people will find that annoying
Reply 13
Wouldn't mind at all

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ComputerMaths97
Nah that would really weird me out, if I had a choice it would be a no 100% of the time.

Even if they weren't stereo-typically gay, like they were just normal but liked men, I'd find it so hard to get along. If they ever mentioned it I'd just cringe, mates always gotta be wing-men for each other, couldn't do that :biggrin: :biggrin:

This is such an interesting response... Even my straight mates wingmen for me on a night out, like I do for them! I think I wouldn't be far off in saying that you've not got any gay friends and had limited time around gay people?

I'd say I fall into the non-camp description that you gave. I'm not sure why you'd cringe - some boys like boys?
I wouldn't mind at all, as long as they're not completely messy :colonhash:
Original post by vis break
I wouldn't care, but I think I'd go out of my way to try and not offend you :s. I know some people will find that annoying

Many people aren't actually offended. If you're mates then you have more banter about it. But then again it's down to the individual. My mates can banter until I let them know they crossed a line. :h:
Don't mention it. There's no need to. (same applies to straight people - mentioning your sexuality at weird times is well... weird.)
Original post by Roving Fish
This is such an interesting response... Even my straight mates wingmen for me on a night out, like I do for them! I think I wouldn't be far off in saying that you've not got any gay friends and had limited time around gay people?

I'd say I fall into the non-camp description that you gave. I'm not sure why you'd cringe - some boys like boys?

I know multiple gay people lol.

Why am I not allowed to cringe? Just weirds me out, like if I came home to my room and two guys were kissing I'd most likely be sick, or just scarred for life lol. Don't see how my automatic reaction isn't allowed, it's not liked I'd force myself to not like it lol. I'm not going to treat anyone differently I'm just telling you that it weirds me out, and if I had the choice my roommate would not be gay.

Lol the lack of freedom we have these days "no you must love gays, you have no choice" or I could just be indifferent, treat them the same but have my opinions lol.
Original post by ComputerMaths97
X

I never disallowed an opinion, feeling etc. Please don't mix my words.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending