The Student Room Group

How would you feel if you had a gay roommate in university?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Is university not the best time to be finding "the one" then, especially for a gay guy? Guess I've been watching too many romance films... :frown:

Not saying that at all. I've no real opinion either way.

It's just, Uni's your first time living away from home, everything's brand new, and to think about getting an emotional attachment with a roommate could just lead to a whole lot of mess.

Should you break up, you can't exactly kick him out. You'd be telling your ex (because he won't be just your roommate any more, he'd be your ex who happens to also be your roommate) it's his turn to do the dishes. If you have someone stay over, he'd get jealous (or vice versa)... Not saying this will happen, mind. Just could.

Make the most of your experiences :smile:
Reply 121
I wouldn't mind.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wouldn't bother me at all

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wow ok, so obviously its girls and gay dudes on the thread commenting its homophobic to have an issue with sharing ie the two groups of ppl that would not be affected, but actually it may just be the case some straight male would prefer to share flat with someone they have something in common with, and i doubt a gay dude would have much in common. most straight ppl arnt that camp and obviously have no interest in mens asses, they are often into sports and cars and posters of half naked girls on the wall - is a gay dude going to find that comfortable for example?
im sure girls would love to share a roon with a gay dude because actually theyd have things in common but would they like to share a room with a random striaght dude- hell no!
Original post by Chakede
Wow ok, so obviously its girls and gay dudes on the thread commenting its homophobic to have an issue with sharing ie the two groups of ppl that would not be affected, but actually it may just be the case some straight male would prefer to share flat with someone they have something in common with, and i doubt a gay dude would have much in common. most straight ppl arnt that camp and obviously have no interest in mens asses, they are often into sports and cars and posters of half naked girls on the wall - is a gay dude going to find that comfortable for example?
im sure girls would love to share a roon with a gay dude because actually theyd have things in common but would they like to share a room with a random striaght dude- hell no!

The only thing I don't have in common with a gay man is he likes other men's penis'.

Grow up

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 125
Original post by paul514
The only thing I don't have in common with a gay man is he likes other men's penis'.

Grow up

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you, someone had to say it. 👏

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by paul514

Grow up

Posted from TSR Mobile

:congrats::congrats::congrats:
Original post by paul514

Grow up

Posted from TSR Mobile

i would doubt that
Original post by Chakede
i would doubt that

Do you know that, while they are certainly the most visible, not all gay guys are feminine?
Original post by Chakede
i would doubt that

We know you doubt that.

Which is why you are stupid and need to grow up I.e challenge your beliefs and get some experience

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by paul514
We know you doubt that.

Which is why you are stupid and need to grow up I.e challenge your beliefs and get some experience

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeh riight, not every one is a fad driven confused 'metrosexual' white-knight like you bro.
there are plenty of straight dudes that simply dont have anything in common with a gay room mate. i have worked with many gay people on intern and there are some on my course. this doesnt not translate to durrr dat must be da homophobia duuh :dunce: im sure many girls here would not wish to share with a man purely on interests grounds. whereas they would feel much more in common with a gay man. and you maybe. you are the one thats stupid if you think you can dictate to everyone you speak to what they should think and who they should have shared interest with. its easy to do that on the internet -try and and be a little hitler in real life and see how many teeth you have left.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Summit
Do you know that, while they are certainly the most visible, not all gay guys are feminine?

probably not , but it been generally accepted in their own community that there are biological differneces, such as for example hormone levels, some of which can dictate ,what you describe as 'feminine behaviour'
yes im fully aware there are gay rugby players - but feel free to correct , not as many as gay dancers or gay fashion stylists- has noone thought to think why this is?
I'd like having at least one gay flatmates - gay people are usually funny and nice people
Original post by Chakede
yeh riight, not every one is a fad driven confused 'metrosexual' white-knight like you bro.
there are plenty of straight dudes that simply dont have anything in common with a gay room mate. i have worked with many gay people on intern and there are some on my course. this doesnt not translate to durrr dat must be da homophobia duuh :dunce: im sure many girls here would not wish to share with a man purely on interests grounds. whereas they would feel much more in common with a gay man. and you maybe. you are the one thats stupid if you think you can dictate to everyone you speak to what they should think and who they should have shared interest with. its easy to do that on the internet -try and and be a little hitler in real life and see how many teeth you have left.

Keep talking each post you enter makes you look dumber than the one before

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 134
(Even though I'm female) I wouldn't care if I had a gay room mate. Your sexuality doesn't effect them, so why should they be bothered?
Original post by Anonymous
Hello everyone,

I applied for accommodation today. I wanted uncatered and ensuite. However, the only way to do this was to have a roommate, which I am completely ok with.

However, I am gay. I just hope that he will not feel unconfortable and it will not be awkward between us. Would you guys be unconfortable in your own room if you were sharing it with a gay guy?

Firstly, if they don't like it, it's their problem - they need to find new accommodation. Secondly, the university will be on your side in this matter. Thirdly, I'm pretty sure they won't mind, if they do, see above. :smile:

I'm speaking from the same position as you - I'm heading to uni this September and I'm gay too - but if people don't like that, my university is happy to tell them to find private accommodation (it's in their hall terms and conditions). Maybe check through your universities T's & C's to see their policy? :biggrin:

However, I wouldn't worry, most people of our age group are fine with the matter :smile:
Original post by colourtheory
Oh okay, so you've seen a gay pride parade? Obviously you now know everything about gay culture. Give me a break. By condensing down gay culture in such terms you undermine the complexity of gay people as individuals. You're marginalising us as sexual promiscuous, negating the other aspects of gay culture (such as activism). What about heterosexual society? Using women to advertise products to men? The obscene objectification of the female body? Does that not count?

Reverse discrimination? I'm sorry, but you really need to understand the advantages that you have in society and the mechanisms through which you marginalise other groups. Right now you justifying your marginalisation of gay men. Please read up on this, there are some excellent articles online that you can use to help educate yourself.

Gay culture is HEAVILY sexualised, as is hetero "culture" if you could call it that. Lots of gay people find it hard telling people they'e gay because there's this whole "gay" ideal people expect them to live up to. We don't see gay love like we see straight love so its not surprising that people see gay love as different. Ive never seen a "cute" gay love story in mainstream media, as i see is sex, its all dildo's, cockrings butt plugs, anal beads and blow jobs and sexual deviancy (popes, priests and pedo's).
The media controls how we see certain types of people in society. e.g:
I've never met a muslim terrorist, i have muslim friends and i really couldn't associate isis with them, they're too opposite, but the media tells us the majority have an extremist streak in them when ive met more crazy scary dangerous christians than anyone.
See it from the outsiders point of view, untill being gay becomes as mainstream as being straight the media is where we get our primary perception
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by NutellaLuv
Gay culture is HEAVILY sexualised, as is hetero "culture" if you could call it that. Lots of gay people find it hard telling people there gay because there's this whole "gay" ideal people expect them to live up to. We don't see gay love like we see straight love so its not surprising that people see gay love as different. Ive never seen a "cute" gay love story in mainstream media, as i see is sex, its all dildo's, cockrings butt plugs, anal beads and blow jobs and sexual deviancy (popes, priests and pedo's).
The media controls how we see certain types of people in society. e.g:
I've never met a muslim terrorist, i have muslim friends and i really couldn't associate isis with them, they're too opposite, but the media tells us the majority have an extremist streak in them when ive met more crazy scary dangerous christians than anyone.
See it from the outsiders point of view, untill being gay becomes as mainstream as being straight the media is where we get our primary perception

I agree totally :smile: Nicely argued by the way :smile:
Original post by Foo.mp3
If you were asexual, and would absolutely not crush on me, never mind dare to flirt with me, then sure, but what are the odds of that? Lettuce be real tea :smug:

Spoiler

Why does that bother you?
Original post by colourtheory
I agree totally :smile: Nicely argued by the way :smile:

Ahh thanks :smile: thought you'd bite back :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending